What would you do?

KathyK

Mouseketeer
Discussions have been underway for a while regarding a trip with all of my in-laws next Fall. We'll most likely need to reserve 2 two-BR villas, and I was going to call day by day at the 11 month window.

I had prepared a "Trip Proposal" for all of the parties involved to iron out the details of the dates of the trip, accomodations, etc. I had planned on sending out on September 15, but considering what happened on the 11th, I thought that might be in poor taste.

So, I want to know how long I should wait before bringing up the idea of a vacation with extended family members. Since we'll most likely be going next October or November, I want to have the details ironed out by November 1st, yet give people enough time to think about their schedules and such.

One of my SILs has lost many of her neighbors who were either working at the WTC or members of the NYFD. She also has neighbors and friends that are in the NYPD and working in the recovery efforts. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings by bringing up a trivial vacation at a time like this.

Opinions?

hi: i think you may want to judge what to do in your sil's case by talking to her. as she begins to recover from the shock of these losses, she will indicate a resolve to get back to the day-to-day regular living. you can broach the subject with her at that time, telling her you have no wish to be insensitive, etc. some people take longer than others to begin recovery. i am sure this tragedy will stick with all of us a lot longer than something on a smaller scale would have. use your own judgement about approaching her with this subject.

Well ... I think that if you want to be able to get you reservations in at the 11 month window, you'll have to contact people anyway. If you're looking at starting to book November 1, then I think you have until the end of this month to allow things to settle down before you approach people.

I have some other (unsolicited) advise for staying at DVC with relatives. I've done it 3 times now with both my relatives and my in-laws. Most of them will think that you are absolutely insane for scheduling so far out. You need to make it perfectly clear to them that whatever date is chosen is set in stone. It is up to them to get the time off of work, take the kids out of school, make airline reservations, etc. Do not even let them know that you can change dates ;).

Depending on which family members are coming, you might want to reconsider the 2 2 bedrooms. I like setting up a 2 bedroom and multiple studios. This allows me to stay in the 2 BR with some family members (usually my BIL's family or my sister's family) and farm the parents, aunts, etc into the studios. Everybody gets a non-charging key to the 2BR for hanging out and laundry, but they also have the privacy of the studio. Also, when (okay, if) someone cancels you only have to cancel a studio which is much easier than scrambling for a 1BR or studio at the last minute. It can happen. My in-laws canceled on me due to health reasons 30 days before we were to check in, exactly 1 day too late to cancel without the points going into the holding account. I was able to sell my reservation, but it would have been much harder if they were sharing a 2BR.

Thanks for your opinions. I think that I'm going to wait until Oct. 1st to distribute the information packets, and I'll discuss it directly with the SIL who was most closely affected before putting it in the mail/giving it to her (if she ever decided to go across NYC to come to NJ again).

The packet that I've put together does address the fact that we all must agree on the dates, and they cannot be changed. I also have given everyone the option whether they'd rather have 2 two BRs or one 2 BR and 2 studios (which would also work out better for us points-wise). I'm sort of hoping that they vote for the studio/2BR combo, because I get a king sized bed either way, right?

--Kathy

I'm sort of hoping that they vote for the studio/2BR combo, because I get a king sized bed either way, right?

Yes! That's another mistake I made. We booked a 1 BR with my in-laws and my DH and I slept on the fold-out couch while the in-laws had the master bedroom. Never again! We always get the master bedroom now :).

FWIW, I wouldn't even give them the choice between a 2 BR and 2 studios. Just book the studios. You'll save a ton of points by booking the studios and they can still have access to your 2BR. You can tell them that they'll have the privacy of having their own rooms ;). Oh yeah ... another advantage of studios is for people who cannot stay the whole time.

I agree, you should just book the 2 studios, unless they really need the kitchen and w/d or you are staying for more than a week. I think you might consider setting the date yourself. It is very difficult to get a consensus with that many people. If you have enough points and don't have to bank and borrow, you might just make the reservations yourself and wait a bit before bringing up the trip. It is hard for people to commit 11 months out and with all the uncertainty, maybe it would be better to wait until Dec or Jan and announce you have the reservations and ask who would like to go? That still gives them plenty of time to plan and you will be ahead of the 7 month window.

I agree with Kem330. Book what you think you will need, and then invite them at some later date. The 11 month window is just incomprehensible to some people, and in light of what has happened ( and the uncertainty of what may still), it might seem callous. In addition, if they are not DVC members (and none in my family are except us), they just don't want to commit to anything that far in advance. Also, booking studios will allow you to cancel much easier if someone can't make it, just be sure and book the 2BR for yourself! It will be much easier if you decide the date, instead of letting others try to get together on a decision, so make your plans and invite later!

Consider me odd but I like having our relatives with us...I have booked a GV a few times for b oth sides of the family and we not only get to enjoy Disney, but each other. We do not see enough of each other with all our busy lives. I consider myself lucky as we get along. My SIL did the same Memorial day weekend at the MD shore and there were over 40 of us!

Hmmm. Did I miss something, or did someone say something about not getting along? I get along with my in-laws and relatives. I enjoy going to WDW with them, I just don't have enough points to book a GV. I thought about it the last time we went when we booked a 2 BR and 2 studios. I'm glad we didn't book the GV because my in-laws had to back out and I was able to sell the studio reservation. I would never treat people I didn't like to DVC.

Good thread. We have taken numerous family and friends down with us to stay at our DVC home. Each time they were perplexed at the 11 month window, but it all went well. We have had only one cancellation, and we were able to fill that with other guests on fairly short notice. I agree that booking the rooms and inviting later is a good idea unless you need to coordinate vacation times. You don't say if you are planning to stay at OKW, BWV, or VWL. If you are at OKW, I don't think you need to call day by day.

I was interested in the fact that you put together an information packet. I did this same thing when we had a large family of friends going with us in January of 1999. We started planning and talking to them 2 years ahead!! This got everyone used to the idea and they could decide on the best dates etc. Then a year ahead we told them we needed to firm up the dates and that they would be unchangeable after that time. It worked great! Everyone was able to make their extended vacation plans well in advance, and we all went on a charter flight that cost much less. Several of them went to the shore for a day or two before meeting up in the GV. We had a GREAT time, and I know you will too!:bounce:

We are doing that exact thing when we go next May. We have booked a 2 BDR and 2 studios for the extended family, partly because one couple has been known to waffle until the last minute and partly because all the BWV Grand Villas are closed for rehab until June.

Funny thing is, while we are considering cancelling our 3 day trip in November (just DH and me), we have never considered cancelling the family trip. The thought of extended family together right now is somehow very comforting.

Thanks to everyone for all of the advice. Since we will be borrowing for the trip (though I do realize that if I need to cancel rooms, I could release my current use year points and bank those), I want to make sure that everyone is involved on the decision on the dates. We also have school schedules and the like to consider (we may need to go during the notorious NJ week). Since DH and I won't have school age children at that point (our yet-to-be-born daughter will be under 1 year old), we want to put the needs of others first.

I know what you all mean about the 11 month conccept being foreign to non-DVC people. I always plan my vactions well in advance, even before we became members, and an 11 month window seemed perfect for my plannign style. I guess I was born to be a DVC member. The packet that I've put together explained the importance of making our plans well in advance - hopefully it will get the message across.

As far as the combination of accomodations goes... we vacation at the NJ shore each year with this same group and stay in two 3 BR apartments (but those bedrooms only sleep a max of 2 people each). So, since that's what we're all used to together, I'm thinking that it will likely be what we'll go with - but I want their input. If people all prefer to have their own private room, I'd be very happy to book a 1 BR for my immediate family and 3 studios (one for each of the otehr family groups).

Oh, and home is BWV, so I'm thinking that we will need to go day by day - especially since we'd prefer standard view (one of my nephews has a fear of clowns, so a view of the pool is out of the question).

--Kathy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter