• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What's a good way to thank a CM?

Karenj2

Hot dog, hot dog, hot diggity dog!
I posted this on the "Just Say Thanks" forum, but this board gets more responses, so...

I haven't even gotten to WDW yet, but I already would like to thank a CM (and the WDW Florists) for going over and above their call of duty for helping me make my anniversary special... What's a good way to show my appreciation?

Write a letter to their supervisors telling them how much you appreciate their service.

Thanks for the reply... I have the letter written up, and I have a copy for the CM and his manager, but I'd like to do a little more. Would cash be ok, or should I do a phone card or something?

Originally posted by Karenj2
Thanks for the reply... I have the letter written up, and I have a copy for the CM and his manager, but I'd like to do a little more. Would cash be ok, or should I do a phone card or something?

Unless it's a tipping postion (ie: server, bellman, etc), Cast Members are not allowed to accept monetary tips. Most of the time, we really enjoy going above and beyond the call of duty, and we get rewarded by making your vacation magical. At least, that's how it is for me. Although we appreciate the gesture, most of us are not allowed to accept the tip. However, there are some persistant folks out there... I've had someone take some bills, and put it down my shirt pocket, and then walk away... lol... In situations like that, I donate the money to the United Way. Perhaps a donation to a charity in that persons name, along with a card would be a nice thing.

Some other things that guests have done for me, to thank me...

One family made up a little card... 3x5"... it had a picture of Tinkerbell on it, and it said something to the effect of, "Thank you for making our vacation magical." and then had the family name, and where they are from. After an entertaining bus ride back to AK Lodge one late night, a little boy presented this to me. I thought it was the greatest thing... made me feel so special. I always keep that card with me when I am working, to remind me. :)

I've had adult and children guests come up to me, and ask for me to sign thier autograph book. They told me that in addition to characters, they have cast members who make thier vacation memorable sign thier book. I thought it was a great idea!

I've also had guests write letters to Disney. Rest assured, we do get those letters! It may take some time, but they get forwarded to our managers. In fact, some letters get published in a special cast member newsletter. When writing the letter, try to include specifics... the reason I say, is so that the CM will know exactly who you are.

Although letters to supervisors are great, as they make sure the management team is aware of great cast members, perhaps including a greeting card for the CM themselves might make it a bit more personal.

Hope these help... oh, and Happy Anniversary. :)

Don't forget to offer whatever you decide on 3 times to the CM. They must refuse the first 2 times and they can accept on the 3rd time.

I saw a thread with this info on it and we now use the 3 times rule at our store.

Hope this helps:)

I've always tended to complete my room card questionnaire and put on it those CM who were truly great. I remember mentioning Maralyn who worked at the ESPN store in the Wonders of Life pavillion. She was so friendly and helpful on my second last day in WDW a number of years ago. I remember looking to see if I saw her again in years to come, and I'm sure she was back there on our last visit (or perhaps the one before). She looked slightly different, but I'm sure it was her. Of course, she won't remember us, and I never got into conversation with her about it, but I did put her on the room card questionnaire and I wondered what kudos CM got from being mentioned on these cards. I kinda hoped that she would get something added to her name badge that would make her feel valued.

Anybody know, ... Tyler...?

John
:bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter