Whats everyone paying for Car Insurance?

dreamin_disney

DIS Veteran
We added a used car to our insurance and DH tells me we are paying $2,545 every 6 months total
$5,090 a year

3 cars
2008 Toyota Camry 10-12,000 miles a year
2010 Toyota corolla 5,000 miles
2013 ford Taurus 12,000 miles a year

Adult female 45
Adult male 45
Adult female 19

all no tickets or accidents

$250 deductible
full coverage
California
Bodily injury $25,000 each person -$50,000 each accident
Property damage liability $25,000 each accident
uninsured motorist bodily injury liability 25,000 each $50,000 each accident
medical expenses $5,000
rental $30 a day for 30 days.

Not sure if this is good or enough coverage. hubby takes care of it but Seems $$ but I have no idea. Not sure if coverage is low
so I'm curious what is everyone else paying?

I have $100,000/$300,000/$100,000 coverage with $500 deductible.

It's just me on the policy right now, but I'll be adding my 17yo dd soon (she doesn't drive yet).

I'm paying $720 a year for a 2007 Jeep Liberty and a 2004 Kia Sedona.

Last edited:
2004 Toyota Avalon (comprehensive only right now). $34

2012 Toyota Venza. $364

2017 Ford Escape . $333

Total $731. / 6 months

53 year old male, 49 year old female

Allstate, Minnesota

Coverage 100/300/100

Deductible $1000

BTW, your 25K property damage is way too low! You are leaving yourself exposed to too much given the cost of cars these days.

Last edited:
We pay $221/month. I’m not sure of our actual coverage but that’s with a $500 deductible for a 2016 Kia Sorento, 2017 GMC Sierra and a 2017 Indian Motorcycle. Coverage is for a 42 year old male and 36 year old female. No tickets but we did have 3 claims within one year last year (windows shot out of my car, hit by an uninsured driver on my husband truck and stolen motorcycle) These did not effect our premiums though, they’ve stayed the same.

25/50 is usually state minimum coverage (states vary just advising this is the usual minimum)

I've never had less than 100/300 but I've had 250/500 and 500/500 in the past.

Personal opinion but I wouldn't recommend anything less than 100/300.

As far as costs you may look into your deductible options. $250 is fairly low. Usually, though not always, the higher the deductible the lower your costs (since you will be upfronting more $ in the case of an accident).

Rates can def. depend on where you live and the insurance company you are with plus a wide variety of other characteristics so cost-wise it's hard to compare.

Bottom line though if you have questions or concerns why not set up an appointment to go over your coverage with your insurance agent?

Metro Atlanta
State Farm - 1,000,000 coverage limits on all cars - $1000 deductible
53 year old male
50 year old female
21 year old son
18 year old son

2012 Subaru Outback $550 every 6 months
2014 Honda Odyssey touring elite $550 every 6 months
2014 Mazda 6 grand touring $800 every 6 months
2016 Toyota rav 4 sport $900 every 6 months

Our rates should drop significantly as our boys get older

Generally, it’s not a good idea to post your insurance limits in public. You’re telling everyone how much they can sue you for before you start to worry about it.

That said, your deductible is too low and you may not have enough coverage. If you cause an accident that causes more than $25000 in damage, your unprotected assets are at risk.

But, mainly, your rates are so high because you’ve got a teenager on your policy. Get a quote for her on her own policy and you and your husband on a separate policy.

Too much.

Adding DD17 last year caused my rates to double, and to keep it to just that, I had to change companies plus buy a cheap beater car for her that I was willing to just carry liability on. (I have full coverage on my car since it's newer and a more expensive model.)

But with a 17 year old, I have the maximum liability coverage offered by the company I'm with :rolleyes1

If you haven't shopped around since adding your teen, do so. The company I had been with for 30+ years and who's price no other company had ever been able to beat had just ridiculous rates for teens. When they gave me the initial rate quote, I thought they made a mistake and gave me the cost for a full year, not a 6 month policy. Geico tends to have the best rates for teens in CA, but do your comparison shopping to make sure that is true in your situation.

Last edited:
We will be looking into liberty mutual. We have mercury right now. Dh friend has it and its cheaper. When I realized how much coverage we have I told Dh its to low. I don't want anyone suing us or touching my home. He's thinking 50,000/100,00 . I'm glad I posted and I like everyones input and advice

Bodily injury $25,000 each person -$50,000 each accident
Property damage liability $25,000 each accident

Your liability limits are too low, especially if you own a home. You need your liability to cover/exceed your net worth. That's all I am going to say about your coverages other than there is no such thing as "full coverage." The words "full coverage" can be interpreted that you 1) want the lowest possible level of everything to meet the state requirements 2) want to only meet your lienholder requirement of physical damage (comp/coll) 3) you want the highest level of every single item your carrier offers.

Last edited:
I agree with PP that your liability limits are too low. You should consider raising your limits and buying an umbrella policy since you own a home. You should also look at raising the deductibles on your comp & collision as it can save you money. Just be sure you have the money put aside for the deductible in case you have a claim. Ask your agent if you would save money if your daughter got her own policy.

These posts have me terrified of when my teen starts driving in 1.5 yrs. Right now we pay $1060/year for 2 40 yr old drivers, an 07 Honda Accord, 14 Toyota Venza and a 15 Toyota Sienna. Guess I should start saving...

These posts have me terrified of when my teen starts driving in 1.5 yrs. Right now we pay $1060/year for 2 40 yr old drivers, an 07 Honda Accord, 14 Toyota Venza and a 15 Toyota Sienna. Guess I should start saving...

Hmm....WDW or driving privileges for teens....choices, choices......

Chicago North Suburbs

100/500/50 with 500 deductible
Just myself (24 YO female) for a 2015 Chevy Sonic is about 540 every 6 months

Well if they don't have a "need" to drive, then don't get them their regular license. FYI- Most carriers do not charge for a learner permit. Of course check with your carrier to be sure. Also, BEFORE getting the permit and/or regular license QUOTE with your insurance company so you know the premium in advance. Don't wait until after they get their actual license and then are required to be added to the policy.

I paid $600 for our semi-annual insurance policies.
We are both in our 40s
No accidents or special incidents on record
One Ford F150 under 5 years old
One GMC SUV 8 years old
One travel trailer
USAA

We added a used car to our insurance and DH tells me we are paying $2,545 every 6 months total
$5,090 a year

California here too.
$1,291 every 6 months and I have a lot higher coverage limits than you, so does seem VERY high to me for the level of coverage
Full Coverage
B.I. $250,000/$500,000
$1,000 deductible

No tickets, 1 accident 10 years ago but insurance made no payout.

Female 60
Male 60
Female 26

2000 Mercury Mountaineer 7,500 miles a year
2003 Ford Ford Focus 12,000 miles a year
2007 Ford Taurua 7,500 miles a year
1987 Chevy Suburban 3,000 miles a year.

Not included on this plan, 1965 Ford Mustang, 1,000 miles a year, but that is with a Classic Car insurer and the car can not be used to commute.
Classic car insurance is cheap and has zero deductible, and is agreed to value, not cash value. $250 a year full coverage.

Don't move to Michigan then. Our insurance is ridiculously expensive. We have perfect records and pay $1500 a year for a 2006 Subaru and 2011 Chevy Equinox in our 30s...two drivers. Our insurance is actually lower than most people I know. Some are paying $3000+/year.

I pay somewhere between $1200 and $1400/year, for a 2017 Toyota Camry

50K/100K/300K, full coverage + rental coverage
1 adult (between 35 and 45)
$100 deductible

4 cars, $2575 every 6 months, that is for me, dh and my dd. I'm about to add my teen ds but am switching companies and will pay the roughly the same with him on the policy.
If I add him to or current policy it jumps to $3,123 every 6 months.
Just checked and I will be paying $2150 ever 6 months with new company and an added teen, so $1,000 saved every 6 months. That is crazy.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter