Whats everyone paying for Car Insurance?

Try Geico! We saved a bunch when we switched. We have two adults and our daughter on our policy with newer cars and much better coverage than you for way less!

Our auto and homeowners insurance have gone up 20% each year for the past two years despite having no accidents or claims over the past 30 years. We've been with an independent guy for 30 years that we really like but might get a quote from USAA next year.
Our health insurance went up by over $6,000 since the Affordable Care Act came to be.
Some days, it feels like we are working just to pay insurance and taxes!
Rates don't just include your activity. Insurance is a large pool. Companies may raise rates due to a multitude of things but it's not just your activity they take into account.

But tvguy is right. If you are disatisfied with your rates one of the largest perks to an independent agent is that they have multiple companies they can write through and you stay with your agent. Might be a good time now to sit down with your agent to go over things.

We added a used car to our insurance and DH tells me we are paying $2,545 every 6 months total
$5,090 a year

3 cars
2008 Toyota Camry 10-12,000 miles a year
2010 Toyota corolla 5,000 miles
2013 ford Taurus 12,000 miles a year

Adult female 45
Adult male 45
Adult female 19

all no tickets or accidents

$250 deductible
full coverage
California
Bodily injury $25,000 each person -$50,000 each accident
Property damage liability $25,000 each accident
uninsured motorist bodily injury liability 25,000 each $50,000 each accident
medical expenses $5,000
rental $30 a day for 30 days.

Not sure if this is good or enough coverage. hubby takes care of it but Seems $$ but I have no idea. Not sure if coverage is low
so I'm curious what is everyone else paying?
That seems crazy but maybe it is the teen? In CA I paid $600 a year for 2 cars with full coverage and $1500 deductible with Ameriprise through Costco. 2 adult drivers with perfect records. 2003 Lexus sedan and 2007 Toyota SUV.
(In AZ now and I pay double (with same company as all other name brand companies want 2400)$1200 a year and 2500 deductible, all the crazy drivers live in AZ, not CA like people think! )

That seems crazy but maybe it is the teen? In CA I paid $600 a year for 2 cars with full coverage and $1500 deductible with Ameriprise through Costco. 2 adult drivers with perfect records. 2003 Lexus sedan and 2007 Toyota SUV.
(In AZ now and I pay double (with same company as all other name brand companies want 2400)$1200 a year and 2500 deductible, all the crazy drivers live in AZ, not CA like people think! )
Nah CA just has different laws than AZ in regards to insurance.

For instance in CA you cannot use a person's credit score in rate determination. In AZ you can. In CA your rate is determined largely by annual mileage whereas most insurance companies elsewhere have moved away from using a person's annual mileage as a large determination in rates. In CA drivers can have a citation removed from their rating of their insurance policy once every 18 months (I believe, it's been a few years since I've dealt with it) provided they went to traffic school; elsewhere not so much. In CA the Good Driver discount is mandatory and is a 20% discount; it allows for certain driver activity to occur and the discount still be allowed on the policy. And so on and so on.

There is though some things that do occur in one state over another one that can cause rates to be a way they are but it's more complicated than crazy drivers (which yes some states for sure have those lol).

Nah CA just has different laws than AZ in regards to insurance.

For instance in CA you cannot use a person's credit score in rate determination. In AZ you can. In CA your rate is determined largely by annual mileage whereas most insurance companies elsewhere have moved away from using a person's annual mileage as a large determination in rates. In CA drivers can have a citation removed from their rating of their insurance policy once every 18 months (I believe, it's been a few years since I've dealt with it) provided they went to traffic school; elsewhere not so much. In CA the Good Driver discount is mandatory and is a 20% discount; it allows for certain driver activity to occur and the discount still be allowed on the policy. And so on and so on.

There is though some things that do occur in one state over another one that can cause rates to be a way they are but it's more complicated than crazy drivers (which yes some states for sure have those lol).
The funniest part was that in CA our house was super close to a Walmart and freeway and in AZ we lived in a gated country club where you could only drive 20 mph and the various insurance companies to tell me the price was based on number of wrecks and car thefts in my neighborhood.

The funniest part was that in CA our house was super close to a Walmart and freeway and in AZ we lived in a gated country club where you could only drive 20 mph and the various insurance companies to tell me the price was based on number of wrecks and car thefts in my neighborhood.
That could be correct or it could be an oversimplification in order to appease the client when they ask "why did my rate go up". Honestly though sometimes the agent isn't privy to all the nitty gritty on the rates and rate increases purposefully. But generally rates are by zip code not by actual neighborhood (Ohio was by manicipalities for the insurance company I worked for). So it wouldn't likely just be your neighborhood. Just speaking in generalities as I don't know the exact way your insurance companies have rated you.

But I will say I could see car thefts in a nice neighborhood as oftentimes people have a sense of false security. Couldn't tell you how many times people in my own neighborhood leave their garages open, their car doors unlocked in the driveway, heck even unlocked doors into their house when they are away.

Did you bump up your Property Damage Liability to $300,000 because it was inexpensive to bump up? It is usually an inexpensive item to increase. Or do you plan on causing more property damage than bodily injury? Perhaps you know someone who has driven into a building causing property damage? :) I am not saying it's not good to have higher property damage liability, but a typical accident you might hit one (possibly) two cars, maybe three cars. So you have awesome property damage coverage if you cause a pile-up accident, drive into a building, knock out a power pole and electricity to a business, etc. Odds are you will cause more than 50k/100k in bodily injury than 300k in property damage.

Full Coverage is not a real thing. I wouldn't trust any agent who uses this terminology.

Oops, I guess I typed it in wrong since property damage is supposed to be the last one.
$100K/$300K/$50K

That could be correct or it could be an oversimplification in order to appease the client when they ask "why did my rate go up". Honestly though sometimes the agent isn't privy to all the nitty gritty on the rates and rate increases purposefully. But generally rates are by zip code not by actual neighborhood (Ohio was by manicipalities for the insurance company I worked for). So it wouldn't likely just be your neighborhood. Just speaking in generalities as I don't know the exact way your insurance companies have rated you.

But I will say I could see car thefts in a nice neighborhood as oftentimes people have a sense of false security. Couldn't tell you how many times people in my own neighborhood leave their garages open, their car doors unlocked in the driveway, heck even unlocked doors into their house when they are away.

I wonder if the gated community zip code just suggests to the insurance companies that it’s a neighborhood with an average household income of xxxxxxxxx, therefore they can afford to pay a bit more. Of course regulations are different state to state but I know I see large fluctuation in prices at Target & Walmart depending on what suburb I am in.....

I wonder if the gated community zip code just suggests to the insurance companies that it’s a neighborhood with an average household income of xxxxxxxxx, therefore they can afford to pay a bit more. Of course regulations are different state to state but I know I see large fluctuation in prices at Target & Walmart depending on what suburb I am in.....
Insurance is regulated by the Department of Insurance. Yes each state is different but I highly doubt it would be legal in any state to base rates on someone's income. Insurance companies have to file themselves through each state's Department of Insurance.

I cannot speak for Target and Walmart as they would be governed by a different entity.

Here in my area it's entirely possible for prices to vary at Target/Walmart based on when they put items on sale or clearance, sales tax that is different from city to city as well as special taxing districts. Online prices also often vary from in store pricing.

I agree with PP that your liability limits are too low. You should consider raising your limits and buying an umbrella policy since you own a home. You should also look at raising the deductibles on your comp & collision as it can save you money. Just be sure you have the money put aside for the deductible in case you have a claim. Ask your agent if you would save money if your daughter got her own policy.
whats an umbrella policy? We will ask about dd getting her own policy to see if its better. Not sure if its better to have her on her own so we are protect especially our home.
It is because you added a third car to a 3 driver household, and the third driver is a 19 year old male. Make sure he is assigned to the car he will actually drive, not the highest rated car which he was assigned to previously. That might help your rates a bit. But until he is either out of the household or ages out of the youthful rates, you will pay more than most people.
Denise
DD is a female not sure if that makes a difference male /female
OP, seems like you are getting completely hosed. You are paying WAY too much unless you have some things on your records that you didn't disclose here (prior claims, tickets, points on your license, a criminal history, poor credit scores, etc).

We are in CA. We pay $1870/Year for 2 cars, one 2007 CRV (5,000 miles per year) and a 2017 Civic (25,000 miles per year). We are both 39 years old. No tickets, no claims.
USAA Insurance

We have super high coverage limits because we don't own a home or have a high net worth and we live in a city where people routinely drive cars that cost well over $100k. I'll be damned if I hit a Maclaren or a Lamborghini...

Coverages:
Bodily Injury $500k/$1M
Property Damage $500k
Medical Expenses $100k
Uninsured motorist bodily Injury $500k/$1M
$1000 deductible
Rental Reimbursement

the three of us have no tickets or accidents. I was in an accident but its wasn't my fault. I was parked with car off waiting for dd to get out of school(in elementary , shes now in college). The car infront of me backed up, then back up again so. I put in a claim but it was her fault. Would that count against me?

I've been driving for 28years. Hubby driving for 29 years. DD got her license a year ago but hardly drives but has been on policy for a year. We also have Home owners insurance with same company.

whats an umbrella policy?

Rates are something that you cannot compare to anyone else. Each state is different and then even neighbors rates with the exact same vehicle can be different rates based on insurance score and various other factors. That is why so far, I have not commented on rates. You shouldn't compare to others. Shop rates with various companies if you want, but you cannot compare to your neighbor or someone on an Internet board. No one on here can say someone is paying a low or high premium because we are not looking at your rating factors. I am sure there is a valid reason for your rate that your agent can explain.

I am replying about your question on Umbrella. Have you heard about a doctor having professional liability in case she/he is sued for an error she/he may do on the job? Umbrella is excess personal liability. It protects people against claims or lawsuits for errors she/he may do as a person... such as being at-fault in an auto accident.

Umbrella is a "excess personal liability" policy that acts as an umbrella over your auto policy and home policy. It will cover all household members (those with a DL will be listed as operators), all vehicles, all homes, and all vacant land that you own or co-own, so each one has to be listed. Many people own more than one home or co-own a home with a sibling. For this reason the company may require you have all these products with them and not split up between companies. All insurance companies require certain minimum liability limits on your auto and home policy to maintain an umbrella policy. These underlying requirements may vary company to company. Most umbrella start at $1Million in coverage and only goes up from there.

For an umbrella example below, I am going with the company minimum liability listed as:
Again underlying requirements is determined by the company.

Auto
Bodily Injury $300,000 per person / $500,000 per accident / $100,000 in property damage This is where you see 300/500/100

Home
Minimum Liability of $300,000
Personal Injury Endorsement that extends coverage for intentional torts like libel, slander, defamation of character, wrongful arrest, assault and battery when not criminal, etc. (This endorsement may vary company to company as well, mine includes this whenever there is an umbrella policy.)

The Umbrella doesn't kick in until the situation (claim or lawsuit against you) exceeds the underlying liability limits. So let's say you are sued after an auto accident for bodily injury of $3Million and you have a $3Million umbrella, the auto covers up to the 300/500 and then the umbrella picks up the rest. Umbrella also covers the cost to defend you and pays out up to the policy limits.

There are myriad of reasons you can be sued. You can be sued for leaving a bad review on yelp. I know someone who saw a man in a car, hit a man on a bicycle, he gave his witness statement to the police. The man in the car is now suing him over his witness statement. The other day, I heard of office drama leading to a defamation of character lawsuit. Your kid is accused of bullying someone at school and you are sued. Your dog bites the neighbor, etc. It doesn't matter if you are right or wrong, the fact of being sued and having to hire a lawyer and make it to court for the case to be thrown out is a pain the butt.

Umbrella is it's own separate policy with it's own separate premium.

OP, what you currently have on your policy you would have to INCREASE liability, which increases the auto policy premium. We haven't even discussed your home policy. Then if you wanted an Umbrella you have an additional premium on top of the auto premium increase. Umbrella policies are wonderful to have when you need them.

Umbrella give you piece of mind that is you are served with a lawsuit, you are protected. Last year a crazy lady on Etsy was making threats to sue me for a bad review I left. She was trying to get me to remove my review. I left an honest feedback and could back-up what I was saying, so I refused to remove my review. I was actually going to return the product to her, but then she started making threats so I still have that product in it's original package along with other items I would need in case a lawsuit pops up. Having an umbrella is piece of mind of "bring it" I know I am protected. I haven't heard from her in over a year, no lawsuit.

whats an umbrella policy? We will ask about dd getting her own policy to see if its better. Not sure if its better to have her on her own so we are protect especially our home.

An umbrella policy provides excess limits over the underlying auto and homeowners (liability portion) policies that you schedule. Most carriers require certain limits for the underlying policies and your current limits would almost certainly need to be increased first before you would be able to buy an umbrella policy. Umbrella is often looked at as a security blanket and will help to protect your assets in case you are found to be at fault for someone's death, injuries or property damage. Your insurance agent should be able to explain in more detail and give you options.

Sorry, I read your post as you having a son, not a daughter. Young female drivers are still a decent increase in insurance, but not as much as males. Still make sure she is rated on the car she drives. She becomes an "adult" much sooner than a male does.
Denise

Generally, it’s not a good idea to post your insurance limits in public. You’re telling everyone how much they can sue you for before you start to worry about it.

That said, your deductible is too low and you may not have enough coverage. If you cause an accident that causes more than $25000 in damage, your unprotected assets are at risk.

But, mainly, your rates are so high because you’ve got a teenager on your policy. Get a quote for her on her own policy and you and your husband on a separate policy.
IDK,I keep my 'kids' on my policy b/c it saves them money, they just pay me the amount owed. Also I agree the 25k damages is too low.... that's less than a new car. I also keep a homeowners plus umbrella policy going (for safety) and total is around 5k(give or take) for 4 people/3 vehicles covered. (the 'kids' on the policy do double our cost,but they pay it themselves) One thing I waould advise, check around with some local agents for quotes. They can usually craft what you need better and cheaper than an online quote, and 'loyalty' to one agency usually =rising rates. Switching is usually necessary every few years IMHO

IDK,I keep my 'kids' on my policy b/c it saves them money, they just pay me the amount owed. Also I agree the 25k damages is too low.... that's less than a new car. I also keep a homeowners plus umbrella policy going (for safety) and total is around 5k(give or take) for 4 people/3 vehicles covered. (the 'kids' on the policy do double our cost,but they pay it themselves) One thing I waould advise, check around with some local agents for quotes. They can usually craft what you need better and cheaper than an online quote, and 'loyalty' to one agency usually =rising rates. Switching is usually necessary every few years IMHO
The insurance company I worked for required any and all exposures to be listed on the policy and rated or excluded (excluded meant the person couldn't drive the vehicles listed in the household and be covered for insurance purposes).

So for the OP if the 19 year old lived at the residence covered or had frequent exposure (such as coming over to the house often enough) we would require the 19 year old to be listed and rated or excluded. This was also the case for Registered Owners of a vehicle since legally they had the ability to drive the vehicle.

Now what could be done is the 19 year old gets their own policy but everyone in the household had to be listed and rated or excluded. So in the OP's case mom and dad had to be added to the 19 year old's policy as rated or excluded. The 19 year old would have to be rated or excluded on the mom and dad's policy as well. 99.9% of the time financially speaking it never worked out.

Now not all insurance companies are like that but it's not as easy as "just have the 19 year old get their own policy". It depends on the insurance company and the auto product an individual has (as each auto product is filed with the DOI-Department of Insurance-individually).

I hate these threads. I tell myself not to look at them and I do it anyway LOL

New Jersey

2 adult females
2 boring Fords (2012 and 2016)
500 deductible

$3300 a year

As others in this state can tell you, the only solution is to move. Far, far away.

The other threads I need to avoid are the ones on property taxes. New Jersey folks will understand :rolleyes1

We moved from California to Georgia almost two years ago. Been with same insurance company for both car and auto for over 35 years. Our first year in Georgia, rates pretty much stayed the same. The following year our car insurance doubled! We have 5 cars. One is an historic car which basically stays in garage and another that basically stays in garage too. Only 2 drivers, in early 50's. No accidents and made only one claim in 35 plus years, a windshield. That was with Liberty Mutual. We dumped Liberty Mutual and moved on. I do know that when having a new driver, such as a teen, it brings it up dramatically. Asked our new insurance agent about it (our daughter will start driving in 3 years). He said to brace ourselves because rate can go u 150%!

We're in suburban area in Southern California. We have a 2015 SUV and a 2006 V8 4WD Truck and 2 40yo drivers. We have a garage and good driving records. We are paying ~$1,300 a year for: $250K/$500K/$100K coverage. Our deductibles are $500 for comprehensive and $2K for collision.

We have our homeowners and car insurance with the same company so we get a multi-policy discount.

We moved from California to Georgia almost two years ago. Been with same insurance company for both car and auto for over 35 years. Our first year in Georgia, rates pretty much stayed the same. The following year our car insurance doubled! We have 5 cars. One is an historic car which basically stays in garage and another that basically stays in garage too. Only 2 drivers, in early 50's. No accidents and made only one claim in 35 plus years, a windshield. That was with Liberty Mutual. We dumped Liberty Mutual and moved on. I do know that when having a new driver, such as a teen, it brings it up dramatically. Asked our new insurance agent about it (our daughter will start driving in 3 years). He said to brace ourselves because rate can go u 150%!
Get classic car insurance for the historic vehicle. It is MUCH cheaper and better fits the needs of a car that is rarely driven and may be worth some money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts