What's the benefit of keyless entry on your smart phone?

gulliesmom

Mouseketeer
If we can already open our room door with our Magic Bands, why the need to sign up for entry using a smart phone? What am I missing? I know last time I was there, I wore my MB all the time.

Because folks are eat up with the latest technology.

We were at Disneyland back in May. It was aggravating as all get out to be behind a bunch of "technology soccer moms" who had their entire family of 6's fastpasses on one phone. Took 3 times longer for them to scroll through each person's fp than it took others to simply have their pass out and scan right through.

Last edited:
Because many people take the bands off at night walk out of the room in the morning and forgot to put the band back on but would NEVER leave without their phone....I am guilty of this... But be aware this will not work with all phones in English if your phone can be used for tap payments than it work if not it will not work (lower end smartphones)
P.S. it will save Disney money with not having to give you a new magic band

If we can already open our room door with our Magic Bands, why the need to sign up for entry using a smart phone? What am I missing? I know last time I was there, I wore my MB all the time.

There's only 2 I can think of.

Walking out of the room without Magic Bands.

Magic Bands won't unlock the door.

Both have happened to us and having this option would have saved a trip to the Front Desk.

Remember this is only an option, nobody has to use it.

I think they're implementing it to be competitive in the business world as well. I know my dad uses this feature when he travels for business, and if he ever went to Disney for business I doubt he'd want to wear a MagicBand. This way Disney is staying up to date with the other hotels in the industry as well.

I think they're implementing it to be competitive in the business world as well. I know my dad uses this feature when he travels for business, and if he ever went to Disney for business I doubt he'd want to wear a MagicBand. This way Disney is staying up to date with the other hotels in the industry as well.

Yep. My uncle had a conference at Coronado Springs shortly after they went to MB's and no keycards. He was really annoyed that he had to wear this "stupid bracelet" when he wasn't there for Disney, but for a conference. And why couldn't they just give him a keycard.

Because all the other hotel brands are doing it. Sometimes I like to go out without the magicband, especially when we head out off property. I didn't use it this last trip though.

I don’t know what benefit it is to have to dig out phone. One of us has a MB on if other has forgotten. I couldn’t get my phone to work with door. I tried once just to see how it worked. But stayed at A Hilton airport hotel before WDW and phone worked great unlocking room. I even had to tap MB a minimum of 2X, to unlock door. Never worked with just 1 tap.
I only forgot to put MB on once during 14 days! It was a Royal pain having to dig out AP for park entrance and tap for FP queue.

Yep. My uncle had a conference at Coronado Springs shortly after they went to MB's and no keycards. He was really annoyed that he had to wear this "stupid bracelet" when he wasn't there for Disney, but for a conference. And why couldn't they just give him a keycard.
There is an option to request key card.

They could just give him a keycard. Magic bands are not required at WDW.

There is an option to request key card.

At the time, they weren't honoring them. Like I said, it was right after they rolled out the transition from cards to MBs, so I think the directives the frontline were given was to not give keycards. He argued with them for 20 minutes (adding insult to injury) and they wouldn't budge.

I would rather use a key card than my phone to open a door. I already carry several other cards. AAA, TIW, DVC, what’s one more? But that’s just me.

With Disney IT, not sure which one is more reliable? Magic band, key card, or phone?

I know. All the reports of not being able to get into your room with your band. And on today's episode of You Tuber, Micheal Kay, he barely got back into his room. Unreal.

I wondered the same thing. I just came back from a week at WDW and thought several times “How would having keyless entry on my smart phone help?”

Doing the Wine & Dine half in November. I'll use my phone on race day so I don't have to wear my magic band in addition to my garmin watch and fitbit. Sure I could do without the fitbit but it's easier to lose the mb when it's the same size as the watch and the fitbit is small. The last race I had to wear both the watch and the mb and with small arms/wrists it's a bit annoying. It'd drive me nuts to suddenly have to wear something on the opposite arm too.

I wondered the same thing. I just came back from a week at WDW and thought several times “How would having keyless entry on my smart phone help?”
It helps when your Magic Band won't open the door. It saved me a trip back to the lobby.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter