What's the benefit of keyless entry on your smart phone?

Marriott has been offering this for a while now, so I'm in agreement that its been rolled out at least partially to keep up with the industry. I know a lot of business travelers who would much rather use their phone than wear an MB while at a convention, not visiting the parks. Its just another option for people who forget their bands or don't like to wear them. And for those who use key cards, I'm not sure if its still the case, but I know a lot of hotel key cards can inadvertently become deactivated if they sit near your phone in your pocket or purse. So this would get around that.

Wonder if it could be a first step to reducing the number of magic bands they send out. If you can use your phone for your door and (later) fastpasses and park entry, do you need a magic band?

Wonder if it could be a first step to reducing the number of magic bands they send out. If you can use your phone for your door and (later) fastpasses and park entry, do you need a magic band?

I think the bands are still beneficial for charging purchases to the room. The psychology behind people being able to tap their bands to make a purchase results in people spending more on-site, and I doubt they'd want to change that.

I think the bands are still beneficial for charging purchases to the room. The psychology behind people being able to tap their bands to make a purchase results in people spending more on-site, and I doubt they'd want to change that.

However you can still charge your CC using Apple Pay in a similar fashion. Personally, I haven't used it as I usually wear a magicband.

If we can already open our room door with our Magic Bands, why the need to sign up for entry using a smart phone? What am I missing? I know last time I was there, I wore my MB all the time.
It makes a really neat sound when you open it. Your magic band doesn't.
That's it

This. Come the future, they won't be free is what I am thinking could happen. Just a guess.

I don't believe they'll ever bring it out to the parks for FP or park entry. First of all, that means you are requiring all visitors to Disney to have a smart phone, one that works in the US at that. While they are common, they aren't required. Disney isn't going to make it so that a segment of the population can't visit the parks because they can't or won't use a personal smart phone.

I don't believe they'll ever bring it out to the parks for FP or park entry. First of all, that means you are requiring all visitors to Disney to have a smart phone, one that works in the US at that. While they are common, they aren't required. Disney isn't going to make it so that a segment of the population can't visit the parks because they can't or won't use a personal smart phone.

Oh, I'm not saying get rid of magic bands completely. But, right now by default they always send everyone a new magic band who stays on property. If some sizable percentage of people can accomplish the same tasks with their phone interchangeably (and I suspect there is as far as adults and teens), then maybe they can let people opt out for a small gift card (like they did with Mousekeeping) or start making the magic bands an opt-in thing. Not unlike the fact that you can still get a card instead of a magic band, only the card isn't the default anymore. Speaking of which, it might also let them start allowing off property guests to start using the phone app instead of having to issue cards (or whatever it is they do).

It's a possible way for them to cut costs and maybe be a little greener. (full disclosure, I'm an iOS developer so I'm maybe a tad biased here, though). But, right now, they're basically using a bunch of plastic and electronics components to create devices that are basically used for one week when (for a lot of the adults and teens in the park) the same tasks could likely be accomplished with a device they already own and have on their person in the parks.

Last edited:

I thought this feature was silly until I looked down at my arm while in line at Slinky Dog and realized my Magic Band had fallen off somewhere between the park entrance and Toy Story Land. I had another Magic Band back in the room so rather than stop at the front desk, I decided to give the phone room unlock option a try when I got back to the resort. Voila, it worked. Then I went in the app and reported my other Magic Band as lost, switched to using my other Magic Band for the rest of the trip and I never had to wait in a line at the front desk to solve my problem. It turned out to be pretty handy for me.

When you get back to your room at the end of a long day at the parks and your magic band won't open the door, but your phone will--priceless!

Oh, I'm not saying get rid of magic bands completely. But, right now by default they always send everyone a new magic band who stays on property. If some sizable percentage of people can accomplish the same tasks with their phone interchangeably (and I suspect there is as far as adults and teens), then maybe they can let people opt out for a small gift card (like they did with Mousekeeping) or start making the magic bands an opt-in thing. Not unlike the fact that you can still get a card instead of a magic band, only the card isn't the default anymore. Speaking of which, it might also let them start allowing off property guests to start using the phone app instead of having to issue cards (or whatever it is they do).

It's a possible way for them to cut costs and maybe be a little greener. (full disclosure, I'm an iOS developer so I'm maybe a tad biased here, though). But, right now, they're basically using a bunch of plastic and electronics components to create devices that are basically used for one week when (for a lot of the adults and teens in the park) the same tasks could likely be accomplished with a device they already own and have on their person in the parks.
They do give you the option to opt out of MB, provided you have had a trip within the past 12 months. So there's that at least. I know we never get bands for our trips any longer.

They do give you the option to opt out of MB, provided you have had a trip within the past 12 months. So there's that at least. I know we never get bands for our trips any longer.

But, if you have a remotely recent iPhone or not low end Android you (personally) wouldn't need a magic band at all if they implemented this in the parks. The younger kids in your party might. So, scale that out by the number of families who visit WDW in a year.

I dunno. It’ll become apparent if they eventually start letting people use their phones to check in for fast passes.

Last edited:
They already allow it at Disneyland, and like I said above, it can be quite aggravating.

Not the same. You described a soccer mom managing multiple people’s faspasses on her phone and it’s a barcode. I’m saying use it exactly like the bands (one phone, one person, use I guess nfc). Still Fastpass plus. I’m just saying I’ll be surprised if that’s not where that’s going long term. It seems like the logical next step because magic bands are redundant for people with decent phones in 2018.

The hotels are a logical first step because you enter your room less often and still have your magic band for the park and are less likely to be upset if it fails than you would in the parks with no magic band at all so it’s lower risk for them. (Delay getting in your room at the beginning of the trip vs delay getting on Flight of Passage in the middle of a park day when the precious minutes count). Better to work out kinks with the hotel room doors.

Last edited:
Not the same. You described a soccer mom managing multiple people’s faspasses on her phone and it’s a barcode. I’m saying use it exactly like the bands (one phone, one person, use I guess nfc). Still Fastpass plus. I’m just saying I’ll be surprised if that’s not where that’s going long term. It seems like the logical next step because magic bands are redundant for people with decent phones in 2018. The hotels are a logical first step because you enter your room less often and still have your magic band and are less likely to be upset if it fails than you would in the parks with no magic band at all.

It was aggravating sometimes even for ONE person trying to use the system. Angle of the sun on the phone screen seemed to play a big part. I would take some 20-30 seconds to scan in with their phones.

Also, what if you accidentally drop your phone and break the screen? Or, it gets wet and quits working?

It was aggravating sometimes even for ONE person trying to use the system. Angle of the sun on the phone screen seemed to play a big part. I would take some 20-30 seconds to scan in with their phones.

Also, what if you accidentally drop your phone and break the screen? Or, it gets wet and quits working?
Angle of the sun only matters for a barcode system, which isn’t what Disney World has. People aren’t using bar codes to enter their hotel room. It’s gotta be something like Bluetooth or nfc or something. I would imagine if your phone dies, you’d do the same thing you’d do if you lose your magic band or your magic band malfunctions....go get a magic band or a card. Again, I’m not saying I think they’ll get rid of magic bands completely. I’m saying they may become the exception and not the rule.

Angle of the sun only matters for a barcode system, which isn’t what Disney World has. People aren’t using bar codes to enter their hotel room. It’s gotta be something like Bluetooth or nfc or something. I would imagine if your phone dies, you’d do the same thing you’d do if you lose your magic band or your magic band malfunctions....go get a magic band or a card. Again, I’m not saying I think they’ll get rid of magic bands completely. I’m saying they may become the exception and not the rule.

All I'm giving is first hand experience. From what I've seen with my own two eyes, it isnt as efficient as the mb/kttw system. Half the people didnt even pull their phone out until they got to the scanners...then another half of those didnt even have the app opened, or were looking at other stuff on their phone, so that took time.

But, if you have a remotely recent iPhone or not low end Android you (personally) wouldn't need a magic band at all if they implemented this in the parks. The younger kids in your party might. So, scale that out by the number of families who visit WDW in a year.

I dunno. It’ll become apparent if they eventually start letting people use their phones to check in for fast passes.
Add in International. International guests struggle with using their phones at Disney. They are limited to WiFi and even Disney knows their WiFi is not 100% available. They may well do it as another option, if they can add the mechanics to the current readers but I'll never believe they will move to 100% phone only at WDW (granted, I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again)

However you can still charge your CC using Apple Pay in a similar fashion. Personally, I haven't used it as I usually wear a magicband.

Right, but Apple Pay is only available to those with iPhones. And a lot of people with iPhones (myself included) do not use Apple Pay even though its offered. Disney would be losing part of their captive audience by not offering a way for them to make it easy to charge purchases in the parks. Most people will willingly attach a credit card to their room at a resort anywhere for the ease of charging things, and the resorts happily offer this perk because they know people are inclined to spend more by doing this. I don't think Disney will want to disrupt this and rely on something that much fewer guests only have access to.

I happen to know exactly what it is. We install the same access control systems the hotels are using here at work. Installing one at a historic hotel here in Chattanooga right this minute (though I wish they'd kept old-fashioned keys but that's another topic)
Even have insight about why key cards don't sometimes won't work when you first get to your room at other hotels too.
MB system used at Disney is a bit different, we don't install anything like that.
I see it that MB will remain their primary choice with phones as their backup/secondary option, where it's feasible. And they already make it super easy to opt out of getting a new MB.

Right, but Apple Pay is only available to those with iPhones. And a lot of people with iPhones (myself included) do not use Apple Pay even though its offered. Disney would be losing part of their captive audience by not offering a way for them to make it easy to charge purchases in the parks. Most people will willingly attach a credit card to their room at a resort anywhere for the ease of charging things, and the resorts happily offer this perk because they know people are inclined to spend more by doing this. I don't think Disney will want to disrupt this and rely on something that much fewer guests only have access to.
And it's part of online check-in, so they do it without even thinking about it. It's just part of staying at any hotel, anywhere. You check in, you give them a credit card for incidentals. Even if you know you never plan to charge anything. So doing it at Disney is not even an abnormal thing to do.

Not the same. You described a soccer mom managing multiple people’s faspasses on her phone and it’s a barcode. I’m saying use it exactly like the bands (one phone, one person, use I guess nfc). Still Fastpass plus. I’m just saying I’ll be surprised if that’s not where that’s going long term. It seems like the logical next step because magic bands are redundant for people with decent phones in 2018.
What does the 5 yo do? I may be in the minority but we don't get the 5 yo a phone. Or even the 10 yo, still not the norm in her social circle, even in the upper middle class. There are lots and lots of kids at WDW who I'm going to guess won't have a phone but will have FP. Based on that alone the logistics of what you are suggesting just won't work. As an option, sure. As a first choice, no.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter