What's with all the construction?

FlightlessDuck

Y kant Donald fly?
Just in Walt Disney World last week, and I understand they are always trying to add or update stuff, but I'm wondering what the heck is going on right now.

I don't mean in the parks, or even Caribbean Beach Resort. I know about that stuff. Just everywhere. Right outside ESPN's Wide World of Sports, just outside Magic Kingdom, just outside Disney's Hollywood Studios. Road work, etc. It seems like everywhere we went, there were construction equipment doing something. Is this all drainage work? At Magic Kingdom and DHS it looks like the are expanding or redoing the entrance?

Anybody know what gives?

Catching up .... and preparing ....

By WWOS that is the new entrance for DHS and there will be more changes in front, by MK there is a new flyover for hotels to avoid the toll/parking traffic, still working on BV Drive which will include the new alignment in front of CBR.

Thanks, everybody! When I'm not planning a trip I don't pay attention to this stuff. That flyover makes a ton of sense. No need to waste time in a toll line when you have free parking!

Just in Walt Disney World last week, and I understand they are always trying to add or update stuff, but I'm wondering what the heck is going on right now.

I don't mean in the parks, or even Caribbean Beach Resort. I know about that stuff. Just everywhere. Right outside ESPN's Wide World of Sports, just outside Magic Kingdom, just outside Disney's Hollywood Studios. Road work, etc. It seems like everywhere we went, there were construction equipment doing something. Is this all drainage work? At Magic Kingdom and DHS it looks like the are expanding or redoing the entrance?

Anybody know what gives?
As explained above it's the Gondolas, DHS parking and entrance expansions, MK road expansions, as someone who is a local I have not washed my car in about a year just because there is so much dirt in the air, I do take it out of my garage when it's raining though :)

All the road construction is just another reason why it's a nightmare to drive at Disney. So glad we fly now. Leave it to the bus drivers. Or Lyft/Uber drivers. I'll close my eyes and rest. That traffic is awful. Park/resort construction has nothing on the road construction.

All the road construction is just another reason why it's a nightmare to drive at Disney. So glad we fly now. Leave it to the bus drivers. Or Lyft/Uber drivers. I'll close my eyes and rest. That traffic is awful. Park/resort construction has nothing on the road construction.
I agree. We stayed off site in March and driving anywhere was such a hassle. Ugh.

I was just there...no issues driving at all. Yes, it gets congested heading down Buena Vista to DS, but it was always crowded there. I now scoot around and try to avoid some of that construction.

It's not upkeep, they're new, massive construction projects that have, and will, result in radically different traffic flow patterns at three of the four parks and DS.

Here's hoping the road signage also gets a massive overhaul rather than "you were supposed to turn there" which is basically what it is now (and worse with construction).

The only driving issue I encountered was the side entrance that drives past Star Wars land construction. They had just a sign up right before the entrance and if you weren't quick then you went right past it. Other than the short notice of that signing, I loved that HS entrance.

Other than that I had no issues with any other traffic or construction. It's been a breeze now once they finished the road outside Disney springs.

The only driving issue I encountered was the side entrance that drives past Star Wars land construction. They had just a sign up right before the entrance and if you weren't quick then you went right past it. Other than the short notice of that signing, I loved that HS entrance.
Not knowing when you were there last, you may find that it's changed again. The DHS turnoff was originally a spur off the exit to World Drive, now it's directly off Osceola Pkwy. I missed it the first time, and I know my way around WDW real well.

Is there an estimated completion time for any of the road construction??

We are headed down the 2nd week in September, driving from WI, so we will have our own vehicle (which I was looking forward to using since we have our stroller for DS2) but it sounds like we're better off leaving the car at our resort and using the busses??

Thought? Recommendations? :thanks:

We are headed down the 2nd week in September, driving from WI, so we will have our own vehicle (which I was looking forward to using since we have our stroller for DS2) but it sounds like we're better off leaving the car at our resort and using the busses??

The road work near DHS and MK won't be complete for well over a year.

The MK and DHS stuff will not nearly be done by then.
MK parking entry area should be a giant mess at that point, but it should not have much of an effect on you driving in. Maybe a lane shift or something.
The DHS entry will be different than what you might have experienced in the past, but it really depends on which direction you are coming from. You didn't specify where you'll be staying. It isn't that bad, and is actually better than in the past for some people.

I'd guess that there will still be lots of road construction going on. However, I don't find it so bad that you should avoid it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter