What's your best kept Disney secrets?

Let's put it this way....On my most recent 4 day trip, we rode every ride we wanted to (some multiple times), saw every show we wanted to, and the longest wait we had was about 30 minutes (and that was for Small World.....Don't ask me why we waited that long, but it's the traditional ride). And no, we didn't only ride at opening/closing. We were for full days Fri-Mon. I'm not a cast member but I can't share my secret because I'll be using my method in the future to avoid waiting.
Why even post if you weren't going to share?

If you like parades, find a spot near the end of the route- especially the Electrical Parade (by Splash Mtn). I had the most magical experience when a CM I was chatting with told me this, so I was dancing around in a not so crowded area with my glowsticks (yeah my fave parade) & got waves & attention from probably half the parade actors & dancers. The donkey boys even came over & talked to me about my dance moves. It made my trip!

Why even post if you weren't going to share?
Because it's not really a secret. It's simply knowing when to visit, layout of park, ride and show times and lengths, and not following along with the "pack". We do everything, every trip without waiting crazy times.

So your secret is "Experience". If one hasn't been to the park that much, then it's difficult to know when certain activities are in demand and when they are not.

I will say, however, that the "Pack" often times wants to see the parades, and this is a good time to get on rides that might otherwise be in a high demand.

Not a real secret, but we always place an order with Garden Grocer. We order 2 cases of water (just enough for the 5 of us for a week in July), park snacks, fruit, breakfast items, and so on. They're reliable, and bell services keeps the stuff refrigerated until we arrive.

Also, if your kids are young, make sure to stop by the Fairy Godmailer thread. http://www.disboards.com/threads/fairy-godmailer-list-part-ii-aka-fgm.2440121/page-148#post-55852715
Someone will send them a postcard from their favorite Disney character, anticipating their arrival. You, in turn, promise to pay it forward for someone else.

When I pack, I always place one entire outfit, from the skin out, in someone else's suitcase. Should the airline lose a bag, we're covered for a day. And each of our suitcases has a bright bandanna on the handle-- so much easier to identify!

When we used a stroller, it got a poncho of its own-- an orange one! It was easy to pick out in the crowd. And I can't tell you how many times we parked it in sunshine, returned in sunshine, to find a soaked poncho and lots of soaked strollers.... but that poncho kept ours dry!

Balcony seating upstairs at Pinocchio's Village Haus. There are maybe 4 tables on the balcony so you get a break from the crowds, they're always free, and you get a fantastic view of the Castle.

For character meet & greets I bring my own spiral bound notebook so it's easily opened to just one page (rather than one with a spine like they sell in park trying to be held open). I found one at a craft store with blank pages and a spiral binding that is awesome. A clickable sharpie is easy for characters to maneuver and sign with and provides bold signatures. Also clickable sharpies are super handy to write on the park maps with. I always ask the character when I meet them, "What pose shall we do today?" and I end up with all sorts of fun photos. Characters and their fellow cast members are always happy to make suggestions and I come home with super fun memories - including my profile pic with Sofia and this one with Oswald in DL/CA!
10406578_10152735953763331_3745351233215454723_n.jpg

Hello everyone, I have an upcoming Walt Disney World vacation, and I was wondering what are your families best kept Disney secrets? Whether it's theme park related, food related, anything that will make a Disney vacation that much more magical.

One of my best kept (known) Disney secrets would have to be the single riders line at Expedition Everest at Disney's Animal Kingdom. Why wait 30 to 90 minutes in line at sand by, when you can wait no longer than 5 minutes in the single riders line? I know you won't be seated with your family or friends, but it's a great way to save a lot of time!

Also, if you've never eaten at Earl of Sandwich at Downtown Disney, you don't know what you're missing. They are reasonably priced, and they have some of the greatest sandwiches, wraps and salads in this world. Also, they give a discount to AAA members, something to keep in mind.

This is a fantastic tip! While one may not be able to be seated with family, the amount of time saved could easily be spend doing other activities with one's family or group.

-
-Rebel Spy trick: the CMs only have a few seconds to grab someone's picture to use them as the rebel spy. Most people are fumbling with their seatbelts and bags and they need someone looking forward with a 'pleasant' look on their face pretty quickly after they are seated. This worked like a charm for us - my fiance was the rebel spy twice!

I have to thank you for this tip. I was reading back on this thread and saw your post. Our kids just went on the ride and did what you said and our DD got picked to be the Rebel Spy - she was so excited. Thank you!!!!

If going to MK for the afternoon parade. Arrive early and you can go up top to train station. They have a few rocking chairs there you can sit in and have a great vantage point for the parade.

Lounging and relaxing your legs while enjoying the parade! Great tip.

There is this extremely particular spot in Liberty Square where I like to watch Festival of Fantasy. It's right when you exit HM. There's like a water fountain, it's slightly elevated, so we slip in behind it and get an excellent view (and we're pooh sized). Always right when the parade is starting. It's the best... but kinda hard to explain on the internet :rolleyes:

Let's put it this way....On my most recent 4 day trip, we rode every ride we wanted to (some multiple times), saw every show we wanted to, and the longest wait we had was about 30 minutes (and that was for Small World.....Don't ask me why we waited that long, but it's the traditional ride). And no, we didn't only ride at opening/closing. We were for full days Fri-Mon. I'm not a cast member but I can't share my secret because I'll be using my method in the future to avoid waiting.
I'd love to hear your method, actually. Every trip I've taken has been like that since I was a child with my family. For me it's just careful planning, studying crowds, scoring the right fastpasses, and getting there at least 30 min before RD is a necessity. I'd be disappointed if all my trips weren't like as you described :)

I agree. But going to the resort that had EMH the DAY before holds true regardless if they are Early or late. Why? Because most people don't tend to go to the same park 2 days in a row (they like to mix it up) so the crowd that was at the park YESTERDAY will tend to go to a different park TODAY. So avoid the park with EMH today (particularly Mornring EMH), and go to the park today that had EMH hours YESTERDAY (Early or Late).

And ALWAYS, ALWAYS, have an awesome time. (Don't let the little stuff get you down!) :)

Very smart idea!

Balcony seating upstairs at Pinocchio's Village Haus. There are maybe 4 tables on the balcony so you get a break from the crowds, they're always free, and you get a fantastic view of the Castle.

This sounds fantastic!

Well, if I told you my secrets, they wouldn't be secret any more would they?

But here's one anyway. If you arrive at RD, you're already behind the curve. The gates almost always open 10-15 minutes before the official opening time. If you want to be at the head of the pack speed walking to SDMT, TSM, KS, or Soaring, you really need to get there before 8:30 for a 9:00 opening.

Darn you! Now everyone knows!

I'd love to hear your method, actually. Every trip I've taken has been like that since I was a child with my family. For me it's just careful planning, studying crowds, scoring the right fastpasses, and getting there at least 30 min before RD is a necessity. I'd be disappointed if all my trips weren't like as you described :)

My family ALWAYS goes during the summer months so I'm used to waiting in long lines. Besides getting there 30min before RD, any other particular tips? How do you study the crowds? Everything I've read says not to go during the peak seasons, but that's the only time my family is able to go.

We're also there over the summer, but only once have I waited on a line of more than 20 minutes. (Our first trip, we got to DHS at noon and waited 90 minutes for Toy STory. Never again.)

We FP headliners, from the hours stretching from 11-1:30 or so. We're at the parks at rope drop, and our pace in those first few hours is pretty quick. There simply aren't long lines early on. Read some of the touring plans as samples; you don't have to follow them exactly but they give you a good idea of how to manage the waits.

My family ALWAYS goes during the summer months so I'm used to waiting in long lines. Besides getting there 30min before RD, any other particular tips? How do you study the crowds? Everything I've read says not to go during the peak seasons, but that's the only time my family is able to go.
Hello! Lately, the best thing for us is getting a FP for Mine Train. All of Frontierland and Adventureland is empty for like the first hour, because everyone is at 7DMT :)

I check the wait times on MDE a few weeks prior to when I leave. I know that fantasyland is more popular during the day, and the park empties slightly after the afternoon parade. And rain is your friend! I personally like seeing characters, so I always see them really late (around 30 min before close)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!