What's your go to sunscreen for the parks?

Anything with a high SPF that sprays on (so much quicker with the kids). We've been using the Trader Joes brand and Banana Boat since they got very high ratings on Consumer Reports (my DH loves CR).

I use the Target brand Up and Up sunscreen spray, SPF 50. Their basically all the same so I tend to get the bigger can for a cheaper price. I only get the spray, I don't do the sunscreen lotion

Last edited:
If you need something you can spray, Banana Boat is great. Personally, my favorite is Neutrogena's dry touch lotion.

Neutrogena (they make one specifically for face too). For my daughter, the sunscreen from the Honest Company (I use it for myself too). Also started using on my daughter, Banana Boat sunscreen specifically for the scalp on her swimming days (she wears a hat in the parks). I never use spray.

I hate the sprays; I feel like the coverage is uneven.

On our trip a few weeks ago, we used the 50SPF Equate (Walmart) and it worked great. We got the HUGE container with the pump to apply at the condo. You can use the pump to refill the small, carabiner style bottles for re-application in the parks.

For faces, I really like the Nutragena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch 100SPF. I hate greasy stuff on my face and this is not greasy at all. I love it. Tried the Equate version (Equate Beauty Ultra Sheer 55SPF) for the first time this year and was almost as happy with it. IT's not as dry as the Nutragena, but it worked well. This is from someone who has to use sunscreen bc of previous basal cells, so I take it seriously. The Nutragena is also small enough to fit easily into a small park bag.

I like this, easy to apply and stays on well as the can says (at least for us anyway) - we normally make a stop after the airport at Walmart or Target and get a couple cans.

10672066.jpg

We use Sun Bum, DD who is 20 has snow white skin. Last year was the first time she didn't burn in WDW.

I don't focus so much on brand, but use a combo of stick, spray and lotion.
High SPF lotion is best for your face (50SPF). Spray tends to be shiny, and that makes for bad photos.

Spray is fast and IMO, has better coverage than lotion for us (non-face). The disadvantage of sprays is that TSA wont allow full sized cans if you are flying.

The sticks are super compact, especially if you can find the small stick. This is what we carry into the parks for when we need to re-apply sunscreen or if someone forgot to apply it before leaving the hotel.

Another factor to consider is the ingredients, and how you react to them. Perfumes can be a problem.

There's also this, Hawaii is considering legislation which says, "Oxybenzone and octinoxate cause mortality in developing coral; increase coral bleaching that indicates extreme stress, even at temperatures below 87.8 degrees Fahrenheit; and cause genetic damage to coral and other marine organisms. These chemicals have also been shown to degrade corals’ resiliency and ability to adjust to climate change factors and inhibit recruitment of new corals. Furthermore, oxybenzone and octinoxate appear to increase the probability of endocrine disruption."

So maybe use the same kind of care that you use when choosing other skincare products you like. I suggest testing products before you use them at WDW.

Also note that many products contain a skin-tinting agent to make your skin look more tan. It might be something you want, or it might be something you wish to avoid.

One more suggestion....I ALSO highly suggest a small bottle of aloe gel in case some gets a sunburn. Aloe gel is very soothing. Other skincare products we like for WDW are a small tube of hand sanitizer (can be used to treat minor cuts), and moleskin (used to cover blisters, if you are prone to getting blisters.)

Last edited:
I don't focus so much on brand, but use a combo of stick, spray and lotion.
High SPF lotion is best for your face (50SPF). Spray tends to be shiny, and that makes for bad photos.

Spray is fast and IMO, has better coverage than lotion for us (non-face). The disadvantage of sprays is that TSA wont allow full sized cans if you are flying.

They will in your checked luggage, just not carry on. I take spray sunscreen in my checked luggage all the time. I prefer it because as a solo traveler I have no one to help with lotion application on my back, etc. :)

They will in your checked luggage, just not carry on. I take spray sunscreen in my checked luggage all the time. I prefer it because as a solo traveler I have no one to help with lotion application on my back, etc. :)
Sorry, you are right. I meant to say it that way, then got ahead of myself.

If at all possible, we try to avoid checked luggage when we fly, so we usually end up stopping somewhere to buy sunscreen, etc. At WDW, though, that means a car (or other paid transportation). Plus stops take time. Some folks also use grocery store delivery services. You have to pick your best trade-off.

The hotels sell sunscreen, but you'll get stuck with the brand they have and paying hotel prices.

Publix (grocery store), Walgreens, Walmart are more options close to WDW.

For Universal Studios trips, we often end up stopping at Whole Foods near Sand Lake Rd. Whole foods is pricey, but they have quality prepared food/hot bar/soup/bakery sections for a quick meal.

We're tried just about every option!

My 4 year old son and I both are prone to eczema and have sensitive skin and allergies. The Aveeno Baby zinc oxide suncreen is the one of the few that doesn't make my son get a rash so it's become our go-to. But anything that is primary zinc oxide as the blocking agent is what we use. Badger's is decent too.

The sunscreen I use in everyday life and at the parks and where ever else I go is Hawaiian Tropic Sheer Touch in spf 30 or 50 if I can find it.

I love blue lizard. It is a physical sunblock (titanium dioxide & zinc oxide) but spreads nicely. If you like the spray kind Bare republic gives you great coverage. I sometimes use a face stick for the kids, since it won't get in their eyes.

I am fair skinned and do not like spray sunscreens or sticks. Consumer Reports did an extensive study of sunscreens a number of years ago and at that time the one that topped their list was No-Ad. I had never heard of the brand because they do not advertise, instead using that money towards improving their product.

I used to use Coppertone Sport exclusively, but I switched to No-Ad and it is easily the best sunscreen ever. I have NEVER gotten a sunburn using this sunscreen, including long days at the beach, on a boat and water parks. I would highly recommend it.

I use Josie Maran. Smells great, light, works great. It's actually a moisturizing sunscreen. Bonus. For face and body.

Our go-to for years has been the tear-free, sting-free SPF 50 Banana Boat. I had an incident where sunscreen plus sweat led to burning eyes for the rest of the day, and swore off anything not "tear-free" after that. This year we discovered it comes in a spray form as well, which goes on so much quicker! Lasted all day for us on our June trip.

I use Hawaiian Tropic because it smells pleasant like a tropical drink. The scent of every other sunscreen is revolting. I disliked the smell before when I was a kid, but the last ten years or so, I can't stand it at all.

I hate sprays too because even not breathing when applying, I still manage to inhale it and it's not pleasant. (Plus the unit price is usually much higher, so I'll stick to lotion.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter