What's your WDW secret? Tips, Tricks, Best Practices, etc.

I second a PP's advice to switch shoes! I wear sneakers exclusively in the parks and I always bring at least two pairs so that I never wear the same pair two days in a row.

Another piece of advice I tell to people who have never been (or who haven't been in a long time)...pick your top three "must-dos" in each park, then build your itinerary from there.

I'll also second the advice to soak your feet at night. I also take two ibuprofen every night before I go to bed, then I'm good to go in the morning!

For me, I'm a commando-tourer...I go go go from morning til night...so I like to make a table service ADR for at least one meal per day. It's a good way for me to force myself to sit down and relax and take my time for at least an hour a day.

What's your ONE (or more) secret or unique "thing"--nuance, short cut, best practice, trick, tip, advice, insider info, factoid, learning experience, dos & don'ts, etc., etc., etc.--you know/use when planning or experiencing WDW that most people probably don't know?
1. If you don't like crowds, avoid fall at WDW. It amazes me how many people are still drinking the expired "fall is off-season" Kool-Aid. Summer now has lower crowds and resort prices than fall.

2. But if you're going in summer, dress properly for summer weather. Should be obvious, but some people don't seem to really undestand that WDW is in central Florida, not Maine. Spending hours outdoors in mid-summer weather is something to prepare for here. I always tour in summer wearing sturdy, waterproof sandals (Tevas), and a small UV umbrella to give constant shade.

3. I get a great discount on deluxe resorts via the travel agency I use and that cannot be named here. Significantly cheaper than Disney's room-only discount.

Last edited:

1. If you don't like crowds, avoid fall at WDW. It amazes me how many people are still drinking the expired "fall is off-season" Kool-Aid. Summer now has lower crowds than fall.

I can see October and November being busy, but this one surprises me a bit. I've never been in WDW during September, but I will be this year (work/extended solo WDW trip :)) and all the things I've read have said the crowds are lighter than summer. With that said, "lighter than summer" is relative and I think most WDW veterans would agree there is no "off-season" anymore--Disney's done a good job of ensuring that.

Day on, day off! (Blasphemy, I know). We found through trial and error that we have the best time when we do a commando day in a park, and then take it low and slow the next day.

Agree 100%--I live and die by this. Unless I'm going solo where I don't need to worry about anyone else and am fine taking the park warrior approach, this is baked in to every group trip I organize.

I can see October and November being busy, but this one surprises me a bit. I've never been in WDW during September, but I will be this year (work/extended solo WDW trip :)) and all the things I've read have said the crowds are lighter than summer. With that said, "lighter than summer" is relative and I think most WDW veterans would agree there is no "off-season" anymore--Disney's done a good job of ensuring that.
We went in late July last year, and crowds were low. Lower than we'd seen since January 2009. The only crowds we saw were at the water parks. And many, many reports of people's experiences in the fall are diametrically different from that. Reports from this June are that crowds and waits are not problematic, despite Pandora. So that does seem to indicate that crowds are shifting from summer to fall, not just getting heavier all around.

This isn't really a "secret," but we always get groceries delivered to our room on our arrival day. We do this even if we are staying in a standard room. We get snacks for the evening, easy stuff to eat for breakfast, and enough water to last our stay. It always ends up saving us a good bit of money.

Get to park at or just after rope drop, have early lunch, go back to resort for a little relaxing/swimming/nap, then go back into the parks.

We do that everyday of our holiday. We follow early morning EMH to make the most of our mornings too.

I actually picked this up off a post last year and it was a great tip. I take a plastic tote, and put it in the corner of my living room about a month before we go. Then as I buy things for the trip or find things that will need to go that we won't use until we leave, like ponchos, (we live in Vegas so it never rains) I toss it in the box. This way it's all in one place, I can see what I have and what I still need, and I don't have to hunt for things when it's time to pack.
I told my daughter about the tote, and now she has started a tote for our upcoming trip in August. Thanks for forwarding the tip.

I told my daughter about the tote, and now she has started a tote for our upcoming trip in August. Thanks for forwarding the tip.
Happy to share! I love seeing what I call my Disney Tote in the living room, it's here now, not only does it help me with packing but it makes me happy every time I see it because it reminds me we're off to Disney in just a few weeks!
:mickeyjum:tigger::sulley::goofy::dumbo::donald::cool1::jumping1:

Choose very carefully who you are going with (this choice will affect every thing you do). Carry as little as possible with you (small crossbody only for me).

I love this thread! A tip I got on these boards 10 years ago when I planned our first trip was to make a little first aid kit in a snack size ziplock. Such a simple thing that never occurred to me. Since it's just a snack size, it takes very little room in a bag. After that first Disney trip, this first aid bag has lived in my every day purse at home ever since! When I travel to a big city and use a different bag, it easily fits. I have bandaids, one time use neosporin, alcohol wipes, precut moleskin, steristrips, a tegaderm, and a spare pair of my contacts. It has been a lifesaver many times!!

Happy to share! I love seeing what I call my Disney Tote in the living room, it's here now, not only does it help me with packing but it makes me happy every time I see it because it reminds me we're off to Disney in just a few weeks!
:mickeyjum:tigger::sulley::goofy::dumbo::donald::cool1::jumping1:
We do this same thing in one of our extra bedrooms. LOVE IT!

Most people going to WDW think they'll either "see it all" or at least try. My #1 tip to them is-resign yourself to the fact that you won't see it all. And don't even try, or you'll come back tired, miserable, and probably hating it. And I agree about lunch ADRs.
yes good one

I'll also second the advice to soak your feet at night. I also take two ibuprofen every night before I go to bed, then I'm good to go in the morning!

This, I can't say this enough. Don't take it in the morning, it takes a few hours to work. We would do this in the Marine Corps the night before a large force march or run, it's a life saver.

Water and salt, water and salt. I do not add salt to anything normally but when you're outside sweating all day you need to put salt back in your body. If you don't, you'll dehydrate easier and start getting muscle cramps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter