Wheelchair assistance at MCO on DME-theory meets reality-Update!

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
OK so when I got to MCO to WDW I asked my driver about wheelchair assistance on the return. He was very nice and said to tell the driver I need wheelchair assistance and he’ll call ahead and a wheelchair will be waiting for me. He emphasized “Be sure you tell your driver so he’ll call ahead. That way the wheelchair will be there. Otherwise you’ll wait”. I told them again at Resort Airline check-in. “Just tell your driver and he’ll call ahead. So far, so good. But then DME arrives and I tell him I need wheelchair assistance. “Well, maybe someone will be there, maybe you’ll have to wait 30 minutes or so.” “Aren’t you going to call ahead?” “No”. I don’t know who was more puzzled. “Why did they tell me you would?” Shrug, “I don’t know.” So yes I did wait at the airport, but some kindly airport porter finally took pity on me (“Are you still waiting?”) and all ended well. But DME will hear from me, complete with bus driver’s name

Update! I did speak to DME today. First I called the toll-free number, and after talking to them, they referred me to DME guest services. After asking them what the policy was (he gave me the same information as everyone except that last bus driver), I told him the reality. He was very apologetic, asked what they could do, etc. I just said to promise me that everyone will be on the same page now. Here's the policy-notify your bus driver. Depending on the situation, either he'll call ahead or he'll give you the phone number to call ahead (Frankly, I kind of prefer that choice-that way you know for sure that the phone call gets made), so there'll be a wheelchair waiting for you. As several people reminded me, I was on Southwest, which is on the other side of the airport, so if you don't call ahead, it could be up to a 40-45 minute wait for someone with a wheelchair to get there. He sounded very sure that everyone (especially my bus driver!) would be aware of the policy-I certainly hope that's the case.

Last edited:
OK so when I got to MCO to WDW I asked my driver about wheelchair assistance on the return. He was very nice and said to tell the driver I need wheelchair assistance and he’ll call ahead and a wheelchair will be waiting for me. He emphasized “Be sure you tell your driver so he’ll call ahead. That way the wheelchair will be there. Otherwise you’ll wait”. I told them again at Resort Airline check-in. “Just tell your driver and he’ll call ahead. So far, so good. But then DME arrives and I tell him I need wheelchair assistance. “Well, maybe someone will be there, maybe you’ll have to wait 30 minutes or so.” “Aren’t you going to call ahead?” “No”. I don’t know who was more puzzled. “Why did they tell me you would?” Shrug, “I don’t know.” So yes I did wait at the airport, but some kindly airport porter finally took pity on me (“Are you still waiting?”) and all ended well. But DME will hear from me, complete with bus driver’s name
Thank you for following up on this with Disney. It sounds like their bus drivers need more training in this area. It was supposed to work just like the arrival bus driver told you. I know, because I have done the exact same thing before. I’m sorry that you had this experience, I’m sure it was very stressful for you.

To add to my stress, we got caught in a traffic jam on the way to the airport, making things take longer.

Oh no! I'm so sorry you had that experience! I was really hoping that it would work "as advertised".

It seems at least once on every Disney vacation, there's one person who says they've never heard of a certain policy or accommodation, or says that it doesn't exist. And while you're actually there on your trip, you (or I, anyway) don't always feel like missing more of it waiting forever to talk to a supervisor. Thanks so much for following up on this one - it'll probably save someone else from going through the same in the future.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!