Wheelchair Follow-Up and Gratitude

WinstonC

Mouseketeer
Hey everyone. Quite a few of you left comments and advice on a recent thread I started here, Wheelchairs: what do you wish you had known?. My mother and I returned home last night (9/14), and I wanted to leave a follow-up post and express my sincere thanks for all the counsel that was offered by DIS members.

I rented the standard size wheelchair from Scooterbug, and it was waiting for us when we arrived near the Contemporary's outdoor bell services desk, in the breezeway leading to the bus stop. It was clean, in good condition, easy to operate, and not too difficult to fold and move. We had no issues with it during our trip, and returning it was as easy as leaving it exactly where we found it. I was pleased with the rental, the convenience, and the price ($10 per day), and I would rent from Scooterbug again. It was so nice to have a chair that was "ours" for the entire trip and could be taken anywhere.

I will add that, for us, the wheelchair was the right choice over a scooter. My mom would not have had any opportunity to practice driving an electric device before the trip, and I could tell that the prospect wasn't appealing to her. I maintain that the choice of wheelchair versus scooter is one that must be made by individuals/families, as there are a lot of considerations for everyone involved.

A few of you recommended that I get a pair of workout gloves for me and a cushion for my mom. You should all be sainted. The gloves were amazing, and my hands are callous-free as I type this post! My mom commented multiple times about how comfortable the gel cushion was. I simply wouldn't want to think about all the miles we walked without having those two simple items. I would never have considered the need for them, and I am so grateful for the recommendation.

I will admit that I did not heed one piece of advice quite as well as I should have! On day 4, when we were in AK, my mom was clearly tired and kept falling asleep in her chair. At first, I was a bit concerned, but then it occurred to me that combination of air travel, much earlier mornings than usual, a very different routine, and lots of activity really does take its toll an 85-year-old! We ended the day early, and I took mom back to the Contemporary for a long nap before dinner, which was just what she needed. In my mind, I was thinking, "she's in a wheelchair - how tired can she get?!?" It's not that simple, and I should have known that.

I also kept the usual items handy: disposable ponchos, hand sanitizer, personal wipes, surface wipes, toilet seat covers, and two canteens of ice water. We took frequent breaks, prioritized seated shows over rides, and did more table-service meals than counter service, all of which helped my mom's comfort and fatigue levels. Cast members were very helpful at attractions, and took time to explain policies and procedures for guests in wheelchairs. Other guests were also quite deferential overall.

Again, to anyone who offered guidance, suggestions, and input, you have my thanks. My mom commented last night, after we got to her house, that she really didn't think she would ever be able to visit WDW again. Out time together is precious, now more than ever, and you should know that you made a real difference.

It's funny: my first trip to WDW circa 1977 was spent (mostly) in a stroller being pushed by my mom and dad. This was a good opportunity to return the favor!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter