Wheelchair for ankle injury

kegafford

Mouseketeer
HI Everyone,

I would like to get your advice on an issues I have. I have a major ankle injury and we are not sure if I will have my surgery before or after disney but I can not think about walking all over the place. I am in a walking cast but after a hour my leg swells all up and hurts more than normal.

If I have surgery before I go I will be in a cast anyway.

Do you think disney will give me a hard time if I wanted a wheelchair?

I just dont want people judging me :(

Thanks in advance,
Kim

kegafford said:
HI Everyone,

I would like to get your advice on an issues I have. I have a major ankle injury and we are not sure if I will have my surgery before or after disney but I can not think about walking all over the place. I am in a walking cast but after a hour my leg swells all up and hurts more than normal.

If I have surgery before I go I will be in a cast anyway.

Thanks in advance,
Kim
Disney will not give you a hard time about renting a wheelchair.
You may get some people judging you, but that happens to people with permanent disabilities too. There are just some people who think they have XRay eyes or something and can tell who "really" needs a wheelchair. The only person whose opinion really matters though, is you.

You may also want to look into renting an ECV, and I don't know if elevating your leg would help, but if you rent from one of the off-site places, you would probably be able to get a wheelchair with an elevating footrest.
There is more information in the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of this board.

kegafford said:

1. Disney will not give anyone a hard time for using a wheelchair or ECV.

2. Why worry about people judging you? 99.9%+ of the people you meet at WDW you will have never met before and will never meet again. If they want to make any judgement about your abilities that is their problem, not yours. If anyone tries to say anything to you feel free to respond as politely or as rudely as you want, and tell them to mind their own business.

What is important is that you, and the friends and/or family members you are with, enjoy your vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter