wheelchair vs. transport chair

jo-jo

DIS Veteran
Looking for some advice. Last few trips we have used a wheelchair for DH. First two times we rented from disney, this time off site (walker mobiity) and now we are talking about buying one. We had thought about it before, but the chairs we saw weigh about 45 to 50 pounds. Too heavy and bulky to lift in and out of car.

At disney, we saw rollator , transport chairs and wheelchairs. I'd like to try to figure out which would work best for us. Or should we just rent for a few more times. I don't see us traveling to disney ten years from now. Maybe another few years.

As background info, DH walks at home. If shopping or walking with grandkids, DH likes to hold onto the cart/carriage. The amount of walking and /or standing is what does DH in at disney. On our trips, I push him about 60-70 % of the time. If he is out of the chair, he is pushing it. Any steep hills, he would walk. On Saturday I pushed him from the fountain in Epcot , all the way through to the exit by France, The hill from England to the bridge is at the edge of my limit.

DH weighs about 270. This trip we used a 22 inch wheelchair. He does not want to use a scooter. We've used wheel chairs for three trips. Transport chairs are lighter, but do they roll as easy? I don't think a rollator would work because DH would need to do all the walking.

I just thought it would be nice to have a wheelchair through the airports too, but having suitcases plus wheelchair might be too much to deal with in our car.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

I had similar thoughts and got transport chair...
  • transport chairs means the rider will never be able to push themselves. If they want to push themselves.... then a regular chair is preferred.
  • transport chairs have smaller wheels, great indoors and paved services.... not so great on uneven grounds
  • pay attention to the material... premium chairs are made of aluminum..... much more easier to lift into a vehicle.... I recommend paying extra for them.
  • transport chairs allow me to collapse and fold into regular Prius taxis when travelling.
  • at the airport.... carry-on 1 is stored between the legs, carry-on 2 is on the rider's lap, backpack across the handlebars, backpack 2 is on the pusher's back, spare hand can tow or push checked luggage. When the rider wants to walk.... I load everything onto chair seat.
  • on a cruise ship... wheelchair is handy in rough waters when balance is an issue. Warning... standard room is not wide enough to push a wheelchair through... rider will need to walk 15 feet to the open area past the bathroom. Otherwise.... will need an accessible room.
  • I noticed there are now rollator transport chair combo's. Not sure how comfortable they are. They look heavier too.
  • visit a health-care retailer and check out the chairs.
We got the Airgo Comfort-Plus Lightweight Transport Chair. In addition to the weight savings.... the flip-up lambo arm rests makes it super convenient in restaurants and examinations. There was many asking about our chair when they saw the features.

http://www.drivemedical.com/index.php/airgo-comfort-plus-lightweight-transport-chair-3641.html

Last edited:
I had similar thoughts and got transport chair...
  • transport chairs means the rider will never be able to push themselves. If they want to push themselves.... then a regular chair is preferred.
  • transport chairs have smaller wheels, great indoors and paved services.... not so great on uneven grounds
  • pay attention to the material... premium chairs are made of aluminum..... much more easier to lift into a vehicle.... I recommend paying extra for them.
  • transport chairs allow me to collapse and fold into regular Prius taxis when travelling.
  • at the airport.... carry-on 1 is stored between the legs, carry-on 2 is on the rider's lap, backpack across the handlebars, backpack 2 is on the pusher's back, spare hand can tow or push checked luggage. When the rider wants to walk.... I load everything onto chair seat.
  • on a cruise ship... wheelchair is handy in rough waters when balance is an issue. Warning... standard room is not wide enough to push a wheelchair through... rider will need to walk 15 feet to the open area past the bathroom. Otherwise.... will need an accessible room.
  • I noticed there are now rollator transport chair combo's. Not sure how comfortable they are. They look heavier too.
  • visit a health-care retailer and check out the chairs.
We got the Airgo Comfort-Plus Lightweight Transport Chair. In addition to the weight savings.... the flip-up lambo arm rests makes it super convenient in restaurants and examinations. There was many asking about our chair when they saw the features.

http://www.drivemedical.com/index.php/airgo-comfort-plus-lightweight-transport-chair-3641.html

Do having the smaller wheels make any difference pushing chair up inclines? I don't want to tip the chair over going up hills. Some areas at disney have cobble stones, cracked sidewalks, or wood planks like at Boardwalk. Any issues with them?

a transport chair is meant for SHORT distances only, not all day use. they are also very uncomfortable after about an hour or so.

a Transport chair is to get you from car to check in to the hotel room. not for all day touring.

I got a transport chair/rollator, don't get one. Its hard to push and I went flying out of it everytime we used it. I use it as a rollator only now.

I have a transport chair after someone stole my wheelchair off our front porch. I agree with everything the first poster said. I don't use it much, but its nice to have.

a transport chair is meant for SHORT distances only, not all day use. they are also very uncomfortable after about an hour or so.

a Transport chair is to get you from car to check in to the hotel room. not for all day touring.
Yes, this is what transport chairs are designed for. However, when I saw friends take their grandparents on and off public transit touring around town.... this totally changed my viewpoint.

Looking online.... I noticed transport chairs have different sized wheels. I would avoid the 1 inch wheel models. The 8" wheel model has worked well for us when cruising around airports, malls, and public transit. The only time I got stuck was the indoor/outdoor seal/drains when getting in/out cruise ships.

There are places that allow you to rent chairs for the day. Might want to rent both chair types for a day and see which is better.

Just curious @jo-jo - why doesn't he want to use an ECV? It would be SO much better for you - and he could go all day easily as well, allowing both of you to really enjoy yourselves...

An ECV is just a *tool* (like eyeglasses to see better, or hearing aids to improve hearing, or a calculator to do math) that allows someone who has mobility issues that are magnified by the distances and terrain at WDW to get around better.

It doesn't mean he's given up, copped out, or thrown in the towel. It doesn't mean he's "old" - I don't even have my AARP card yet, but I have to use a mobility device. THOUSANDS of people use ECVs at WDW every year who never dream of using one at home, simply because of the sheer size of the Parks.

No one will even pay that much attention to him... (sorry if that bruises anyones ego! LOL ;)) but your DH on a scooter at WDW? Not a big deal. At all. And the buses? (and monorail, and boats...) all are very easy to manage - just let the driver or Cast Member know you are new to driving a scooter, and they will gladly help you out.

Rentals from an outside vendor are much less expensive than renting from the Parks, and you have it to use at the Resort and Disney Springs as well.

If there is some other reason (for example, poor eyesight, or depth perception issues, etc.) then I would still look at a "traditional" wheelchair - but as @xlxo said, look for a lightweight, sturdy aluminum, carbon fiber, or titanium frame.

And see if you can buy or borrow suitcases that have four omni-directional wheels, so that you can have him sit in the wheelchair, and hold on to a suitcase on either side while you push.

Just curious @jo-jo - why doesn't he want to use an ECV?
Maybe he does not feel capable of driving one. Maybe he does not want to accept that's what he physically needs.

I used an ECV because of a medical issue about a decade ago. In subsequent years I did not get an ECV because I thought "I did not deserve one" - even though I some times "got stuck" very far away from the exit.

Maybe he does not feel capable of driving one. Maybe he does not want to accept that's what he physically needs.

I used an ECV because of a medical issue about a decade ago. In subsequent years I did not get an ECV because I thought "I did not deserve one" - even though I some times "got stuck" very far away from the exit.

I get it. I used to be one of those people. Totally in denial that I needed to use an ECV, and put my poor family through some pretty terrible vacations before I finally accepted that I needed to do it. Cried when I rented my first ECV, and then cried when we got back to the Resort room that night, and I *didn't* hurt and I still felt good enough to go down to Disney Springs for dessert and to listen to some live music...

It's tough to admit sometimes that we need some help, even if it is temporary.

Just curious @jo-jo - why doesn't he want to use an ECV? It would be SO much better for you - and he could go all day easily as well, allowing both of you to really enjoy yourselves...

An ECV is just a *tool* (like eyeglasses to see better, or hearing aids to improve hearing, or a calculator to do math) that allows someone who has mobility issues that are magnified by the distances and terrain at WDW to get around better.

It doesn't mean he's given up, copped out, or thrown in the towel. It doesn't mean he's "old" - I don't even have my AARP card yet, but I have to use a mobility device. THOUSANDS of people use ECVs at WDW every year who never dream of using one at home, simply because of the sheer size of the Parks.

No one will even pay that much attention to him... (sorry if that bruises anyones ego! LOL ;)) but your DH on a scooter at WDW? Not a big deal. At all. And the buses? (and monorail, and boats...) all are very easy to manage - just let the driver or Cast Member know you are new to driving a scooter, and they will gladly help you out.

Rentals from an outside vendor are much less expensive than renting from the Parks, and you have it to use at the Resort and Disney Springs as well.

If there is some other reason (for example, poor eyesight, or depth perception issues, etc.) then I would still look at a "traditional" wheelchair - but as @xlxo said, look for a lightweight, sturdy aluminum, carbon fiber, or titanium frame.

And see if you can buy or borrow suitcases that have four omni-directional wheels, so that you can have him sit in the wheelchair, and hold on to a suitcase on either side while you push.

A few reasons.....
He doesn't want to ride all day. He gets achy and stiff just sitting. Yes, I know he can park the ECV and walk, but then he would have nothing to hold on to. Holding on to something helps with his balance.

He is afraid he will run into someone. We have had a few close calls with the wheelchair, with people just stopping or kids jumping in front of us. This past trip we were moving and someone a few feet was walking/ turning but looking over the crowd like she was looking for someone. I completely stopped. She walked right in to us and didn't realize we were there until she made contact. Plus I think all of his concentration will go into driving the ECV which can be wearing.

But it is true, at first he didn't want to go, didn't want to use anything. This is where we are now. A few trips from now, maybe we'll get a ECV. Maybe he'll decide to get new knees, and he won't need anything. I'm not going to push (no pun intended) him anymore than he wants. In the spring we are celebrating our 40th anniversary so we have been taking care of each other for a long time. But thank you for your thoughts.

I got a transport chair/rollator, don't get one. Its hard to push and I went flying out of it everytime we used it. I use it as a rollator only now.

I have a transport chair after someone stole my wheelchair off our front porch. I agree with everything the first poster said. I don't use it much, but its nice to have.

I spent some time looking online at them and thought " whoo hoo, this is the way to go", because they fold up so nice and seem about 1/2 the weight of a wheelchair.

But nothing teaches like experience. I was wondering about all day use.

On our very first trip, we used a transport chair and had no issues with all day use for the rider, but I was exhausted being the one doing the pushing. I'm not sure how much of a difference there would have been if it was a regular w/c because we started using ECVs after that. LOL.

In 2014 we took a trip with my husband's grandmother and rented a transport chair for the week. She specifically requested the transport chair, and had no interest in being able to self-propel or an ECV. She was very comfortable all week, and although exhausting, I didn't have any issues pushing her around, even though she weighed about twice as much as me. if we were to do it again the only thing I would change is bringing a pair of biking gloves, or similar, for myself, as my hands would be pretty sore by the end of the day, likely because it was something I was completely not used to. Would it be possible for you guys to check out a medical supply store beforehand to have him try out a couple of the different options?

We use a transport chair for my son who is 27 years old. He only weighs 115 lbs. though. If you get a transport chair, you must get one with the large 12 inch rear wheels and the front stroller type wheels. If you don't then the transport chair won't hold up with those tiny wheels. Since your DH weighs more, you would never be able to push him up the hill by France in a transport chair if the wheelchair was at your limit. they are not as easy to push and the person sitting in the chair cannot help like in a regular wheelchair. I would look at a lightweight aluminum wheelchair if I were you.

Several years ago, I took my Mom to MNSSHP at the Magic Kingdom in her transport chair. I agree that the transport chair may be ok for the person in it. However, as the pusher, by the end of the evening, I had a sore back and my hands were absolutely raw. There are some light-weight wheelchairs on the market. It's a pity that he won't use an ECV at Disney. They can be a life-saver for everyone in the party.

Thank you for all the thoughts and comments. At this point, I looked online and it seems for his weight we'd either have to buy a decent price heavier chair or an expensive lighter weight model. As noted we may only need a chair for a few more trips, so at this point I think we will just continue with renting off site.

If DH becomes unable to do much walking at all, then we'd be force to use a ECV. No way could I push him all day and up every hill there is at disney. So in a matter of time, the problem may solve itself with no other answer but getting an ECV.

Thanks again.

I agree about the combo transport chair & rollator. I had one called the Duet. It couldn't handle the tiniest bump without tipping me out. My cheap transport chair was much easier for my husband to push. When I was in a mobility aids store, I heard them recommending the combo to a man looking for something for his mom. I didn't want to get involved but later I told the salesperson our experience. Told them they should try pushing someone in the parking lot in one. They had a good candidate...a young salesperson had broken her foot crashing a power chair. The combo sounds like a great idea...one less piece of equipment to deal with. Maybe there are others better than the Duet we had but I got to the point I can't use a rollator so we never tried others. The Duet went to Goodwill.

A few reasons.....
He doesn't want to ride all day. He gets achy and stiff just sitting. Yes, I know he can park the ECV and walk, but then he would have nothing to hold on to. Holding on to something helps with his balance.

He is afraid he will run into someone. We have had a few close calls with the wheelchair, with people just stopping or kids jumping in front of us. This past trip we were moving and someone a few feet was walking/ turning but looking over the crowd like she was looking for someone. I completely stopped. She walked right in to us and didn't realize we were there until she made contact. Plus I think all of his concentration will go into driving the ECV which can be wearing.

But it is true, at first he didn't want to go, didn't want to use anything. This is where we are now. A few trips from now, maybe we'll get a ECV. Maybe he'll decide to get new knees, and he won't need anything. I'm not going to push (no pun intended) him anymore than he wants. In the spring we are celebrating our 40th anniversary so we have been taking care of each other for a long time. But thank you for your thoughts.
It can be incredibly stressful driving a scooter at Disney. I really need to prepare myself, mentally, for the experience. And still there are many times that I will pull to the side, just for a breather. As we go through crowds, my husband will ask how I am doing, and try to intercept the crazy people. But it doesn't always work.

Yes, it is a tool to use, just like eyeglasses. But there is very little prep in putting on your glasses.

Do not try to push a transport chair all day, that would be not very much fun! No real way to get up hills and more likely to tip over.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!