When did Sci-Fi Dine In become so popular?

RobinDragonryder

Total Nerd
My parents just decided (at my behest) to add 2 days at Disney to our Orlando trip this November/December. We decided on Epcot and HS, and while we found reservations for Biergarten at Epcot easily enough; Sci-Fi Dine In was booked for both lunch and dinner every day we'll be in Orlando. Last time I went to Disney and wanted reservations there (August 2014), I had no troubles reserving a table even less than 180 days out. Did it see a spike in popularity in recent years, or is there something I'm missing?

I'm in the same boat myself. We are heading on our first ever Disney World vacation next month and not being familiar with the restaurants I was surprised that I can't find any reservations here as well. We will never be able to book 180 days out, but I didn't think that many of the restaurants at HS would be that hard to get a reservation at. I'm also looking forward to any responses to this question as well. I wish you luck finding one!

We booked Sci-Fi when we go in December. I would not usually book this restaurant, but there is a new-ish Disney commercial right now where they are "eating in a car" and my 4 year old son thinks it is the coolest thing and talks about it all the time. He remembers that commercial and it seems like every other day he asks if we are going to do that when we go. So its a stretch, but maybe that's why?

We are going in August, and this is the only res I couldn't get! I even have it on the touring plans dining finder for the past week. Idk. We've eaten there before. Not my favourite - but my teen DDs loved the campiness of it & I thought it would be good to get out of the heat.

Planning on checking week of for cancellations.

I feel like I've seen it talked about more in the last year or two than previous to that. It's definitely got the niche draw to it. Sorta like Coral Reef -- hey, you might not like the food, but the view is spectacular.

At 180+10 days, I was able to book Sci-Fi for multiple days at lunch without any problem. We are going late November/early December.

Was able to book it for dinner on dec 11th. It seems like reservations are hard to come by this year in general. Perhaps they did more free dining than usual. Keep checking. There are a lot of cancellations once fast pass window opens and withing a week of the date.

We eat at Sci-Fi every trip! The food is pretty good but the atmosphere is great! I've had some issues booking this if it's less than 90 days of going on the trip. I've used the Touring plans dining reservation finder and its's come through every time!

I think it's the increase in pre-planning pressure in general. People are scheduling out their vacations down to a very detailed level far earlier than they used to. (I remember the first couple of times we went, just walking up to a customer service desk in whatever park we were in that day and asking what was available around the time we wanted!)

I also think that, to build in a small amount of flexibility, people are booking multiple reservations at the places they want, and then cancelling the ones that don't work with their FastPasses after they get those. (The good news here is that you might have a second chance to get Sci-Fi.)

Seems to me it's been that way for a while. For my fall trip last year, Sci-Fi was harder for me to get than O'hana! I understand why it's popular though, we loved it and it's not too expensive. I did eventually get a lunch reservation on our HS day but it was only after lots and lots of stalking both this board and WDW, and using TP ressie finder. Good luck finding what you're looking for!

I just booked for first week of October with my choice of times. We do love it there and I know lots of other folks do too. I wouldn't blame DDP because it's not a good value for a credit, but it is a good value for OOP so if it's a time that will be busy it might take some dedication to find one.

I also think that, to build in a small amount of flexibility, people are booking multiple reservations at the places they want, and then cancelling the ones that don't work with their FastPasses after they get those.

This. 100%. Not trying to :stir: here, but I saw several posts in different threads last fall from people saying something like, 'yep, I booked three places/times and I'm holding them until the last minute until my plans finalize, and I'm not sorry about it.' I had much better luck closer to my trip, I believe, because of this kind of thing. There were more things available as people dropped "extra" ressies.

I have read several positive reviews for it online, the prices are reasonable, plus less options in HS to choose from compared to the other parks. On my 180+10 last week there were no openings the first four days, but after that there was. I held two reservations for less than 48 hours just to make sure all my plans were in order and then released one as soon as I could. The last time I went to Disney I had not even heard of this restaurant but now it seems there is much more buzz about it so all of this may be why. If you are persistent I feel that you will be able to get a reservation!

To me, its a HS thing. I find the dining to be a little difficult for my family. The only real options are Sci-Fi or Hollywood Brown Derby. I would say its a popular place based on the food it offers compared to the other TS restaurants, its price, and the neat environment.

At 36 days out from my vacation I just got a 5:15 reservation for 4 (randomly checked). Super thrilled as this was the last reservation I was trying to get. Overall, I have noticed the closer you get to your vacation date more reservations seem to become available. Just keep checking and hopefully you will find the date and time you are looking for! Good luck!

This. 100%. Not trying to :stir: here, but I saw several posts in different threads last fall from people saying something like, 'yep, I booked three places/times and I'm holding them until the last minute until my plans finalize, and I'm not sorry about it.' I had much better luck closer to my trip, I believe, because of this kind of thing. There were more things available as people dropped "extra" ressies.
I have really strong feelings about this. I just did my 180+10 dining reservations last week. One breakfast and one dinner per day (except Cali Grill Brunch day!) I think there should be some way to limit ADRS, so maybe each person could only be holding a maximum of 1 breakfast, one lunch and one dinner per day?
I had really good luck with my ADRs this time, and there was only a couple I couldn't get, and settled for second choices, But holding reservations seems unfair.
We got lucky and the kids top picks / must dos were bookable, albeit with an amount of juggling and swapping days etc. But, this is a once in a life time trip for them, and imagine if they were not because someone was hoarding reservations? It just seems wrong.
I guess people blame the disney system, but, I would feel like I was stealing someone else's holiday.

I have really strong feelings about this. I just did my 180+10 dining reservations last week. One breakfast and one dinner per day (except Cali Grill Brunch day!) I think there should be some way to limit ADRS, so maybe each person could only be holding a maximum of 1 breakfast, one lunch and one dinner per day?
I had really good luck with my ADRs this time, and there was only a couple I couldn't get, and settled for second choices, But holding reservations seems unfair.
We got lucky and the kids top picks / must dos were bookable, albeit with an amount of juggling and swapping days etc. But, this is a once in a life time trip for them, and imagine if they were not because someone was hoarding reservations? It just seems wrong.
I guess people blame the disney system, but, I would feel like I was stealing someone else's holiday.

Totally agree! This is our first ever WDW trip and as my family will be stationed overseas soon this is something so special for us. I was just talking to my husband about how hard it has been making reservations and how I have had to devote so much time and energy in finding them. He stated the same idea of only allowing people to book 3 reservations per day and no more. As we will never be able to book 180 days out or even close, I found it really disheartening reading that people can't even get reservations at those times either. It has been a real eye opener. I understand that everyone wants to plan a special vacation, but I think a daily limit on reservations would be beneficial to all.

I think it's the increase in pre-planning pressure in general. People are scheduling out their vacations down to a very detailed level far earlier than they used to. (I remember the first couple of times we went, just walking up to a customer service desk in whatever park we were in that day and asking what was available around the time we wanted!)

I also think that, to build in a small amount of flexibility, people are booking multiple reservations at the places they want, and then cancelling the ones that don't work with their FastPasses after they get those. (The good news here is that you might have a second chance to get Sci-Fi.)
I agree with this 100%. Since 2013 and Disney changing FPs process, more guest staying on property we have since the FPs become harder to get as well. Then having all the chat options like here and all the tricks, less used ADRs and scecrets are no longer hidden. You can still get what you want just takes a little more work at it. Times are changing.

It's always been popular in my opinion. It's not on the same level as 'Ohana, BOG or Chef Mickey's but it's not a restaurant you can usually get last minute reservations for.

It's a unique dining experience with pretty good food, great milkshakes and extras and it isn't expensive like Hollywood Brown Derby.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter