When Did They Start the Placeholder?

g3pak

DIS Veteran
Hey Friends,

We went on a cruise in March and I booked a dummy cruise for next Fall so we can change to a legit cruise when we decide what we want. I did not know they started the placeholder option. When did they start this?

Well, a "placeholder" can only be booked onboard a cruise -- it's to hold a reservation for an as-yet-undecided future cruise date. If your current cruise was booked using a TA, you can name that same TA to the placeholder reservation. If you did not use a TA or want to change TA, you can transfer the placeholder after you are back on land.

Well, a "placeholder" can only be booked onboard a cruise -- it's to hold a reservation for an as-yet-undecided future cruise date. If your current cruise was booked using a TA, you can name that same TA to the placeholder reservation. If you did not use a TA or want to change TA, you can transfer the placeholder after you are back on land.
Such transfers must be done within 30 days.

I booked my placeholder in 2015 and am using in September (last possible date I could). I also specified my TA when booking so it was eventually moved to her (originally they put me as the TA but then I worked out what they did). Just make sure that you check it to make sure. Its a good option for booking future cruises. The two year thing is a little bit of a pain as I am probably aiming for the 2019 transatlantic and the dates need to fit in that two year window. knowing my luck I'll be one day out lol

Last edited:

Thanks everyone. Somehow I missed that option so I just booked a 3 day dummy cruise as a placeholder. Oh yeah, we used Costco for our cruise in March and I put them down for our next one, but I did not see that they did not get Costco entered when they set it up. I called just the other day and they said "sorry, it has been more than 30 days so we can't help you." Ugh

Thanks everyone. Somehow I missed that option so I just booked a 3 day dummy cruise as a placeholder. Oh yeah, we used Costco for our cruise in March and I put them down for our next one, but I did not see that they did not get Costco entered when they set it up. I called just the other day and they said "sorry, it has been more than 30 days so we can't help you." Ugh

Its a bit of a pain to be honest as you now have to check it did go through. I emailed my TA when I got back and said I'd booked one. I had an email didn't even look at and then about a week later my TA mentioned she still hadn't received my booking. It was only then I checked the booking and it had me down as the TA. Luckily it was within the 30 days but I can imagine how frustrating it would be if it had been outside those.

If we have an existing reservation for a future cruise, can I transfer that to a dummy cruise once I'm on board to be able to get the discount?

If we have an existing reservation for a future cruise, can I transfer that to a dummy cruise once I'm on board to be able to get the discount?
I believe the onboard bookings (to get the perks) must be a new booking. I know that, if you "reshop" an existing reservation onboard, they have to cancel the existing one and make a new one. You don't just transfer the reservation to an onboard booking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter