When oh when oh wise ones.

StormyCA

Chief Troublemaker
So looks like I've got nDH (non-Disney Husband) 99% talked into a trip in Spring 2019. It will be our second trip (first one was in our trailer at the Fort in Spring 2015). I'm a Disneyland regular, grew up in So Cal. You all were so friendly and helpful the first time that I thought I'd post my question here.

I'm just trying to figure a time frame vis a vis crowds and weather. Easter is 4/21 next year. Would there theoretically be lower crowds during the periods prior to, say, April 15 and after around the first few days of May given that Easter is 4/21? Either works for us as we're retired. 'Spring Break' period here (Calif) seems to start 3 weeks before Easter and end 3 weeks after! Our last WDW trip was the last few days of April through the first few days of May and the crowds were pretty reasonable but Easter was early April that year. The weather was fab then too. I'm hoping early April and late May are typically good weather-wise, too. Meaning not a lot of torrential rain or terrible humidity. Unfortunately, growing up in California has spoiled me for temperate weather.

I'd really love to do the drive again and stay at the Fort, but nDH says he'll never do it again because the tornado watches and the severe storm warnings along the way freaked him out. If I can't change his mind I guess we'll be flying & staying onsite but I'm hoping the thought of having to kennel our Dachshund (his baby) for 9 days will change his mind. Fingers crossed.

Thanks. Disney Days and Happy Camping to you all.

I agree with PMof4,

With Easter being late, that messes up March and April. Many schools do Spring breaks in March regardless of Easter. Our school here always does it the week before Easter, so that messes up mid-April. If you loved April/May weather last time, I would shoot for the last few days of April into May or the first full week of May. That would be far enough away from Easter and not into graduation trips.

Weather in February and March can be all over the place temperature wise. We were there this year the end of February into March. It was fantastic. 80s everyday. minimal rain. The week after we were there, it was cold. Like 40s cold at night and highs in the low 60s. May will be hot (80-90s), but the Summer rains and humidity won't be in full swing yet.

And being from the Midwest, I thought the storms and tornadoes comment was cute. We take them for granted and don't even think about a squall line coming through. I drove down to Destin, one time, through a hurricane (remnants in mid-Alabama) figuring it would all be blown out by the time I got there. It was.

j

Last edited:
I've never seen the winds at WDW to be an issue for most any RV, even during a Hurricane. WDW is far enough inland that it generally doesn't see hurricane force winds or even close to it. We've had worse winds during monsoons in Arizona. Microbursts are a problem here during the summers but rare in the mountains where we RV.

That same weather is all over the entire southeast. Worse typically in spring but it can pop up anytime. Anywhere for that matter.

I would not let that stop you.

I agree with Teamubr on this one.

Thanks, all! I think then that we'll shoot for about the same time we were there in 2015, it's pretty much the same period that PMof4 suggests. Plus, the garden show should be on and the Epcot was so colorful and pretty!

I'm just waiting for the pricing info for 2019 to show up any day now.

Yippee skippee!!! The thought of kenneling the dog did it! Looks like we're headed back to the Fort! I'm so excited! And this time we're going to plan a couple of down days to explore.

Just gotta wait for the 19th to check prices and book. Think we're going to shoot for an arrival date of around May 5-ish or so.

Never under estimate the power of a dog. My wife decide we needed to get our RV during our second trip to WDW when every other night I would sit up in bed and call for WookieBear whom she called my Daughter. In fact our travel days and stops were dictated by her and her sister Maggie. Even more so now with Savage Sisters as Sky is afraid of the Sound of diesel engines and is convinced that daddy is guilty of a capitol offense if she goes while on a leash.

StormyCA,

Congrats on the road trip and the Fort stay. Make sure you check in and tell us how the trip goes. I've traveled quite a ways racing, but I have never driven from one side of the country to the other.

j

Never under estimate the power of a dog.

And you can bet I waited until our dog was sitting in nDH's lap gazing adoringly at him before I said "You know, if we fly we'll have to kennel him for like 10 days".:rolleyes1

StormyCA,

Congrats on the road trip and the Fort stay. Make sure you check in and tell us how the trip goes. I've traveled quite a ways racing, but I have never driven from one side of the country to the other.

j

It's a great RV trip, from Northern California to Florida via I40 (and a few other highways!). Then we headed to the Smokies and then across country through KC, Denver, Vegas, and ended up at Disneyland for the 24 hr 60th kickoff before heading home. We were on the road almost 2 months. This trip won't be quite as long as WDW is our main objective.

And you can bet I waited until our dog was sitting in nDH's lap gazing adoringly at him before I said "You know, if we fly we'll have to kennel him for like 10 days".:rolleyes1 ...

Sounds like you took SNEAKY lessons from my DW. She brought up idea of getting an RV as we were coming home from one of my sisters' wedding and had been talking about Disney as one my nieces said was ready to join us. Then I had had to worry out loud would we get home early enough to Pick the Girls up and bring them home. Selling points, they could come with us and we could stay longer

Sounds like you took SNEAKY lessons from my DW. She brought up idea of getting an RV as we were coming home from one of my sisters' wedding and had been talking about Disney as one my nieces said was ready to join us. Then I had had to worry out loud would we get home early enough to Pick the Girls up and bring them home. Selling points, they could come with us and we could stay longer

I think your wife and I need to get together to discuss (and swap) strategies!

Has anyone stayed the week before Memorial Day? We’re looking at May 13-21. Curious if it’ll be crowded but hoping we’ll be leaving before the holiday crowds arrive.

I've been down the week before and the week after. The week after is definitely busier. Many schools don't get out until Memorial weekend (or after). The week after does die down a bit after Monday, so it isn't June/July/August busy.

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter