When should we go next summer?

disneyjr77

DIS Veteran
I’m trying to decide when to book our trip for next summer. We were originally planning June, but if the 50th celebrations are going to be later, I want to wait. DD will start high school aug 30, so we can’t go the last week aug/first week sept like we like. Has anyone heard about when they may start everything? If it’s going to be after august we can pretty much go anytime, since we would miss it anyway 😔 should I book as late in August as possible or just go with June?

I was under the impression any 50th anniversary celebrations would be in the Fall, as that's how they've done it with past anniversary celebrations. I think it also remains to be seen what those celebrations will look like, given the current environment. I think June or late August would be fine for missing the celebrations. The later you go, the better the chance that more will be open and operating closer to "normal". And, in late August, a lot of schools are already back in session by then which may make for a slower time. But who knows.

Thanks!

I think we'll do aug 12-20 and hope they're doing some stuff for the 50th. That's the latest we can go and then still get her ready for school when we get back.

@disneyjr77 I see what your thoughts were - I was also expecting an 18 month-ish celebration starting around May/June and then lasting until October 1, 2022. BUT with Covid I expect that things are going to be scaled back quite a bit.

Nothing official that I've seen yet but if something were going to be going on around the May/June time period I think they would have announced it by now.

I'm pretty sure that early on when existing tickets were extended to 9/26/2021 for those that had them that they didn't expect any 50th celebration to happen during that time.

We are heading to Disney in late June, hopping between the pandemic and people waiting out the 50th, crowds won't be too bad. Ten days in a Treehouse!

October 1 is the anniversary date. IIRC the 25th Anniversary ran from Oct 1, 1996 through Dec 31, 1997 --15 months.
If the 50th were to follow that pattern, it would be Oct 1, 2021 through Dec 31, 2022.

I would like to go again in November next year. I went early this month but with panndemic i could not enjoy some things. I hope it is not like this year in 2021 fall. It is hard for me to plan

Just a guess, but the 50th is October 1 and I don't expect to see any 50th celebrations to start before that.
I agree that the 50th celebration will run at least 12-15 months.
If you go before that, I doubt that you will see any (whatever they are) of the special 50th anniversary activities.

True "celebration" elements may not start until October, but I would expect them to have started to run "new" elements to show off the park for the 50th. For example, I would expect Harmonious to start before October. I'd expect the Ratatouille ride to be open. An outside chance that the Tron Coaster could open before October.

Additionally, assuming Covid concerns pass, Disney will work to "normalize" the park ahead of the fall celebrations. So I would expect things like fastpass, shows, dining plans, etc, to return over the summer ahead of the celebration.

We just decided to scrap the whole idea and do Universal this summer, that way when we go next year we’ll be able to enjoy the celebrations. Thanks for all of the input, it definitely helped with our decision 😁

Good information. We're planning a trip in early August to celebrate my ds's 13th. He really wants a Disney birthday! I'm concerned the crowds may be out of control due to pent up demand (assuming most of the adult population will be vaccinated).
We're keeping the trip short just in case.

A lot of what Disney plans to do will likely be based on how things are progressing with covid. Honestly, no one today knows what that will mean for the 3rd quarter of 2021. Disney's plans will continue to change based on how things are going. In prior years when we went, they seemed to always be celebrating something, so I don't really see the 50th anniversary as that big of deal with how you plan your vacation. Disney is always celebrating something as part of their marketing efforts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter