When the new ships arrive...

sinkhole

Earning My Ears
...and existing DCL staff is redistributed amongst the fleet and new staff are introduced; are you concerned that there will be a drop in service quality on DCL? Or maybe just on the older ships?

That might be a given. I expect they'll take the "best" from the current ships for the new ships.

I don’t think so. CM’s are on their ships for multiple reasons. Some want to move around, others stay put forever. Also, ‘best’ is a subjective point of view. What’s best for DCL is not necessarily best for the guests.

They will probably request some of the more experience staff to do at least a couple of contracts on Wish to train the new servers, but others will need to stay put to welcome the new staff on the old ships. Some servers will probably move up the ladder on the old ships, either to main server, head server, Palo/Rémy or even managerial positions. I don’t think DCL will do anything but try to assure consistency on all the ships.

We were on the Wonder last week and a CM in the French Quarter told my husband that the Wish will be staffed by experienced staff only, with at least 1-1.5 years of experience.

Maybe split the difference. Staff the new ships with half experienced staff, half trainees. The vets can pull the new folk up to their level.

When they were gearing up for the Dream, for about a year or so, they had a lot of new staff on the Magic and Wonder. We were apologized to a lot for subpar service received because of the volume of new people "not with the program yet". But we were assured that it would make the launch of the new ships better. Well, we were on the inaugural sailing of the Dream and got half experienced staff and half brand new and subpar service because of it. I expect that there will be an influx of new crew before the end of 2020 to start increasing the staff levels for the Wish. Then I expect that the Wish will be a mix of experienced and new crew and all the ships will have some growing pains (maybe not as bad as when the Dream came out as they only had 2 ships to "steal" good crew from; now they have four so less people per ship have to move over to the Wish to get her underway).

I remember when we went on the Dream, she was about a year old at the time, the service was the worst we had ever experienced on a Disney ship, including the food as well, some of my dishes were cold. At the time there was talk on the boards that the Dream was a training ship since they had a lot of new hires at the time and the Dream was doing the shorter cruises. No idea if that was the case or not, but the Dream will likely always be at the bottom of our cruise ship list due to the service and the design. I think DCL will go through some growing pains with adding a lot of staff for the new ships, and with all the other new builds, the numbers of new ships last few years is crazy, a lot of cruise companies are looking for workers now which means it will be more difficult to find the best workers.

The Magic of course will always be at or near the top of our ship list:).

I know for a fact that Dream was a training ground for the new Fantasy staff during the year or so between both launches. Our favorite Fantasy server recommended his trainer on Dream when we sailed on her. They had been together for two contracts just before the Fantasy launch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!