When to get rid of the clothes that no longer fit

ozliz

DIS Veteran
so I know there are a lot of people changing their weight on this board so that means many people with cupboards full of clothes that may not fit anymore. At what point to you decide a weight loss (or gain) is likely to be permanent and therefore get rid of clothes that no longer fit and when do you hold onto the clothes to save money next time your weight fluctuates?

I tend to keep pants/jeans from all different sizes (as long as they're in good shape). Since its not that many of each size they don't take up a lot of space. I did get rid of the ones from my heaviest weight just as motivation to never get back there. I've gone from 200+ to 135 back up to 170 and back down to 145 in the past 4 years. I don't mind buying new shirts as needed, but I gain most of my weight in my lower body anyway.

I have changed sizes multiple times in my life. If it is more than 2 sizes off from my current size I will consider purging....especially if the item is likely to be outdated in the near future or if its showing wear....I dont have a ton of storage so that's my main reason. One exception to this was when I was still planning to have biological children as I am a female....now that Im I'm done with that part of my life its much easier on deciding what to keep...2 sizes/ 2 years without being worn whatever comes first....only exception is classic formal wear (not trendy). A major question to ask yourself is if you like something and youd wear it if it fit....if it isnt super trendy, youd buy it today = keep

I'm on the slow weight loss regimen. I work out. A lot. I try to eat healthy. My other half does Weight Watchers, so we're well versed on portion sizes. I didn't have the instant weight loss, but I have lost almost four sizes over four years. And I've kept it off.

What I do is keep the older, baggier stuff for wearing around the house. I buy some new stuff to wear out in public, because people aren't always that kind about understanding why you're wearing baggy clothes. Once a year, I donate anything I haven't worn outside the house in the last twelve months.

I get rid of it immediately so that I don't get the temptation to go back to dangerous ways. :)

The jackets i've held on to and use them at races for 'warm up' outfits and toss on the sidewalk. It's a good way to donate to a good cause since the race organizers collect clothes and donate them to local charities.

I hang on to too many a few sizes worth but not many below 20-22s, I think the few 16 or so I have were stuff I got from "free" bags of clothing and include some styles I don't think I'd wear too much unless I had to so those are some I need to consider getting rid of. I think I save them partly because I just don't have a lot of money coming in. I have several that are too small. Only a couple that are too big. But like others say when they are to the point they are falling off and can't be altered I may donate them. Or if they are outdated so much I can't see myself wearing them in public I should probably donate. I really need to go through my closet and organize smaller stuff that is in classic style that I would wear and toss the stuff I know are either already too big or that I can't see myself wearing out. I have so far to go and keeping my pants even though ideally by winter they'd be big I just have had such a past that I'm too afraid I will need them. But they are out in visual space so I can be motivated to fit in them in the fall. Hopefully they will be so baggy I have to start shopping and toss them by winter though. I'm not opposed to jeans and pants in summer. In fact for many years I would not wear shorts. But I say if you are well outgrown throw them out so you have no choice but to keep in your smaller wardrobe.

Clothes were actually a REALLY difficult thing for me to get rid of when I started losing weight. I've always loved dresses and fashion and when some of my beloved things started not fitting and I found my wardrobe choices limited because things were too big... it was not a great time for me. I actually became really down and frustrated because I felt like I had nothing to wear and didn't look 'pretty', so what was the point of all this effort I was putting in? I didn't have the funds to buy whole new wardrobes every time I dropped a couple dress sizes.

It was my mom who actually gave me the idea of selling the used outfits via consignment, on ebay and through groups on facebook. For me it has helped so so much because, one, I don't have to look at my old clothes I loved and feel down about it. Two, I have no excuses to slide backwards so that I can wear my nice things again. Three, I get a little extra money to buy a couple nice pieces that make me feel great at my new weight.
Now I never hold onto anything if it's a dress size too big. :)

My personal rules for getting rid of clothing as I size down out of it.

If I saw this on the rack today in my current size would it be one that I want

Does it hold a specific and very special memory ( the dresses I wore for my wedding-small and simple affair and for my first Easter as a mama are on this list).

Can a friend who has more sewing skills than I have help me take it in to make it a smaller size

Can I wear a tank or camisole under for modesty purposes to keep from showing everything when I bend over.

Do I like the color and does it work with the rest of my wardrobe

Can this possibly be repurposed into something else-pillow, cute bag, doll clothes, ect.

I just saw someone responded not that long ago and I hadn't seen the post. I recently got rid of some clothes that I decided were not only too small but also likely to be a bit young if I ever fit back into them. I think now I'm in my thirties the weight gain I've had over the recent years might be an age thing. I was pretty much one size all through my twenties and there are a few too small favourites I would love to fit into again but I think I'll need to find new favourites since I'm not able to exercise the way I used to. I spent so many years wearing clothes that they wore out and had to be tossed. It is strange not to have that certainty anymore so I'm trying to shop less just in case my weight keeps increasing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter