When were you left underwhelmed by something at Disney?

My husband found Captain Cook's underwhelming. We had been to AoA twice and he loved all the options at the food court there, so when he saw that there was so salad station, etc at Poly, he was bummed out.

We were very disappointed in the Poly bus service at night. We hoped they'd have more than one bus running per hotel at Park close, but we closed out DHS and waited over an hour for a bus to come at the Poly/GF stop.

I found the welcome at the Poly very underwhelming, because it was non existent! I'd heard of being welcomed with leis, and saw other people receive this later in the trip, but there was nothing of the sort when we arrived. We just had to request leis. Which is totally fine, not at all a huge deal. We loved the Poly overall!

Whispering Canyon Cafe left us really disappointed. We were expecting so much more. The food was decent, the waiter only threw straws onto the table. Nothing special like I heard there would be. Not worth a trip back.

Tutto Italia last January. After having nothing, but good experiences my last visit left me not wanting to go back. I don't need an Olive Garden never ending pasta bowl, but for the price I found the portion size pretty small. The only positive of leaving hungry was that I got to try some different things during the Festival of the Arts that was going on at the time.

BoG lunch. Eh.
CRT breakfast- my daughter's waffle was raw in the middle. By the time they replaced it she was ready to go. We hadn't to ask for her wand.
Star Wars tour- the guides were awesome. But it ate up so much of the day. And I think you could do it all in half the time yourself.

So many underwhelming experiences mostly related to restaurant servers.

- Dinner at Cinderella's Royal Table where our CM acted like we were an inconvenience just being there.

- Characters at Tusker House breakfast who basically ran through the room. I think this was the first round they made that day. We had a previous good experience there during lunch.

- Dinner at Hollywood & Vine. We didn't expect much in terms of food after reading several reviews - yes, it was gross. But I was disappointed by the waitress' response to daughter asking about the theme of the outfits. We basically had to listen to the waitress complain about how she hates her outfit and basically did not choose to work there.

- Server at Bon Voyage breakfast who complained about everything - characters getting in her way, the food, having to be at work.

- At Akershus, we once went when Alice was there, and Ariel would not stop making annoyed/irritated faces at her. Ariel even saw us kind of shockingly watch her and continued acting impatient. I think Alice (who was fun and acting true to character) was holding her up when making the rounds, but still...

Honestly, if these restaurants did not have characters, seasonal costumes, and/or nighttime show packages, we would not be back.

Last edited:
I got a Dole Whip and realized the online hype of anything Disney is not to be listened to, ever. I got one of the special ones with rum from Tamu Tamu in AK. It's just pineapple soft-serve, not sure why people go nuts over this :confused3 The rum was a nice addition, but still, it was very underwhelming.

Same with pizza at Via Napoli. Their pizza is good for a place surrounded by QS pizzas, but it's by no means better than any of the best pizza places in my city. It was distinctly average. So that was underwhelming, too.

Frozen Ever After ride. It was underwhelming, even with my having already adjusted expectations for the fact that it's largely popular because of children.

BTMRR. This is yet another example that popularity =/= awesomeness. I got off the ride thinking is that it? Don't get me wrong, it's a fine ride and I'll enjoy it again, but it's rather tame (and forgettable) for such a popular, you-must-FP-or-rope-drop ride.

I won't flame you, but I think PP is so popular because adults remember their magical perceptions of it and share it with their kids, who then want to pass it on etc etc. If you saw it as a child, it really did feel like you were flying (like Dumbo). The old Snow White ride, The Pinocchio ride (Disneyland), even Mr. Toad. you kinda knew you were in a ride vehicle.

My husband and I waited in a ridiculously long line for PP at Disneyland. We just happened to be in the park late and they seemed to have almost every other ride closed (including Space Mountain, which is what we were waiting for because we had a FP). But this was my first time ever riding it and I LOVED it. Like I couldn't believe that I had never ridden it before kind of loved it. So I made it a priority on our trip to WDW next month. TETO.

BTMRR. This is yet another example that popularity =/= awesomeness. I got off the ride thinking is that it? Don't get me wrong, it's a fine ride and I'll enjoy it again, but it's rather tame (and forgettable) for such a popular, you-must-FP-or-rope-drop ride.

Agreed that Big Thunder is a bit underwhelming at WDW but it's soooo much better at Disneyland. Actually one of my favorite rides there.

Agreed that Big Thunder is a bit underwhelming at WDW but it's soooo much better at Disneyland. Actually one of my favorite rides there.

I hear that all the time about DL attractions, like Fantasmic! It's really increased my interest in going to DL sooner than later :)

I hear that all the time about DL attractions, like Fantasmic! It's really increased my interest in going to DL sooner than later :)

Their Fantasmic is probably my all-time favorite Disney thing. Or, it was before they changed it... haven't seen the newest version yet!

In the past we have been underwhelmed by:
-Tony's Town Square
-Dinner at Ohana
-Dinner at Jiko (planning on giving that one another chance soon!)

BOG. not impressed at all for dinner. Breakfast was fine but dinner was okay. Not worth the hassle of reservations and the wait. I guess I expected more since everyone says it's so good. We ate California grill the day before and at the Royal table before that. Both were way better than BOG.

We were underwhelmed by SKIPPER's Cantina. Besides for introducing themselves as a Skipper, we had pretty much no interaction with our waitress. She took her order, and dropped off the bill and that is about it. We might as well have been in any restaurant with things all over the walls. I was expecting a bit of interaction.

i've got three...first would be lunch at BOG, the setting was pretty great...but beyond that it was pretty meh...second would be breakfast at Crystal Palace, we'd had lunch there a few weeks before, and had always heard how great breakfast was, and when we got there it was just meh...and third and definitely the biggest let down was lunch at Tusker House, we had researched before we made reservations to see what the price was going to be, we made reservations day of, and were all excited because who doesn't love mickey in his explorer gear, and a new type of cuisine to eat...when we arrived for our reservation, we found the price to be 10 dollars per person more than the multiple websites and even the disney experience app suggested it would be, the food was barely meh, and the character interactions felt rushed, not to mention the dining room was extremely loud. we'll never eat there again

The Marceline to Magic Kingdom Tour. I was expecting more tour and less talk. The only cool thing we did was go behind the scenes at the haunted mansion. We should have done the Keys to the Kingdom tour.

Chef Mickey's, Dinner! We were all so excited since it was one of the hardest reservations to get and at the top of every must do for a first time trip list! But we had an hour wait (every other restaurant that entire trip including CRT was less than 15 minutes!), the food wasn't great (cold, not a huge selection, etc.), and the character interaction wasn't great either (short, long waits, & not very good in general except Donald!). The only good part were the workers! They were all very kind and one brought back Donald since we forgot an autograph! We were quite disappointed since we looked forward to it and expected it to be one of the best meals.
I always try to give something 2 chances before I make up my mind and with the refurbishment going on it may be better next time but we are going to skip it for our upcoming trip! :sad2:

I have two:

Zebra Domes, did not get the hype!

Hollywood Brown Derby for dinner, food was mediocre and service was terrible. We had booked the Fantasmic dining package, and our server (presumably to try fish for a bigger tip, he failed on that one!) acted like he was doing us a huge favour by giving us the Fantasmic tickets! It was unreal, we couldn't get out of there quick enough.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts