When Will the US Reach 100,000 COVID deaths?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is infuriating to me. If we would just change a few very simple behaviors--wear masks, stay out of crowded indoor spaces, keep our distance and wash hands often, ALL of us could get on with our lives. I'm furious that I haven't been able to visit my elderly mother and siblings that all live out of state. Thankfully, our DD and her husband moved back from MA to PA a year ago. I would be crushed if I wasn't able to see her.

We are failing and our country's leadership is to blame. This should have been a public health crisis first and foremost; instead it became political and divided us all. End of rant.

I agree with most but it is hard to go back to “normal” if we can’t have groups of people together in an enclosed space for a period of time. Sure, you can run quick errands and meet up with people outside with masks and keeping a distance but how will that work in schools and offices and any type of indoor entertainment.

I have no intention of traveling anywhere. It is just frustrating, however, I am very quick to acknowledge that many people are struggling with far worse circumstances.

I think the goal is to keep the circle you interact with (if you happen to live alone) as small as possible.
I'm sorry I was responding to the below statement.
I'm furious that I haven't been able to visit my elderly mother and siblings that all live out of state.

It made it sound like you would go but couldn't and I would assume because of cases either in your area or the area where your family lives or quarantine requirements or others. I may have read that wrong so I'm sorry if I did :flower3:

Even if we, as a country, had low numbers travel-related cases are what started the (known) spread in many areas so traveling is just not advisable even if nothing were to stop us from going. We weren't as aware about that in February into really early March so people were still traveling but these days when we know what we know any travel even to places in one's own state depending on where you are at.

These days with all the quarantines for travel it's shifted to gatherings being a large component of spread that's where the comment of the other poster and partially my comment came into play. Combine travel and gatherings and well..

I do understand though that frustration of seeing family. Most of us wouldn't blink an eye at doing that before and now we're forced to really think hard if that backyard dinner or indoor get together is really what we should be doing (and really we shouldn't to be honest).

I guess what really makes me mad for all of us is that it didn’t have to be like this. Had our leadership taken this seriously at the beginning of the year, began making proper preparations, etc. we would be in a much different place. Instead, government made many foolish and erroneous claims about the virus’s lack of severity...and here we are.
I completely understand where you are coming from here :hug:

So much goes through my mind how different things could have been and I hate to dwell on that but I also can't stop my mind from going there.

I too try to stop my mind from being angry about things I simply cannot change. It’s a waste of time.

But let’s get kids back to in person schooling; I’m a 3rd grade teacher with kids due back on 8/25. We’ll see how this goes.

I too try to stop my mind from being angry about things I simply cannot change. It’s a waste of time.

But let’s get kids back to in person schooling; I’m a 3rd grade teacher with kids due back on 8/25. We’ll see how this goes.
Just curious how are the COVID statistics in your area?

Are you worried about a student bringing the disease into your classroom, and infecting you?

See, that makes perfect sense and I don’t fault you for that. But to make blanket statements like “you shouldn’t see anyone you don’t live with” is not practical or necessary for everyone.

We just visited my MIL. She’s in her 80s and hasn’t left her house since March. We rented an RV and didn’t go inside her home. We visited on her deck and in her yard 6 feet apart AND wore masks. The only time we didn’t wear masks is while eating. She sat at one picnic table and we sat at another. That’s about as safe as it gets. She had trash stacked in her garage since March that we took to the dump and did some other shopping and stuff that she couldn’t do for herself. I think people forget not everyone can quarantine for months on end completely alone and be just fine. It’s not practical.

I live in a large county in SW PA. Our positivity rate is hovering at about 7% of people tested. It was higher about a month ago, so some opening measures were rolled back.

Frankly, I’m not worried for myself, although I am in my late 50s. My husband and I are in very good health, we have no young children at home and no other family members nearby to be concerned with. I am concerned about some of my fellow teachers though.

My district has done a remarkable job with their reopening plan (at least on paper) and parents can choose remote learning if they are more comfortable with that.

There are just so many moving parts and “what ifs”. I’m glad I’m not an administrator or a school nurse.

Frankly, I’m not worried for myself, although I am in my late 50s. My husband and I are in very good health, we have no young children at home and no other family members nearby to be concerned with. I am concerned about some of my fellow teachers though.

1 in 5 people with mild cases get the long haul version of COVID, which is either miserable for months or causes what is believed to be permanent damage. Everyone should be worried for themselves.

Oh I have every intention of being EXTREMELY careful. I do not take my good health for granted.

1 in 5 people with mild cases get the long haul version of COVID, which is either miserable for months or causes what is believed to be permanent damage. Everyone should be worried for themselves.
Fake science. The 1 in 5 stat is not true. Miserable for months is not true for most people. There is no evidence permanent damage is likely, or exist at all.

This is why people are responding in vastly different ways, too much misinformation from all sides.

No sign of slowing? please....View attachment 527598

Things are getting better. We will get through this.
Depends on where you look. More than half of the states have increasing cases and positivity rates over the last few weeks, and with the fall and more people gathering indoors, it is feared to keep increasing. So we will have to wait and see. Several Northeastern states are doing great.

Apparently hair loss is also a long term effect in some cases. My friend had a mild case of Covid and lost a ton of hair. Her doc said it’s been reported by others. Crazy stuff.

Even after we get through this, we'll be treating folks with long hauler effects for years to come. We're off to a great start this decade.
I think that's likely, although long-haul is measured in months right now. What I was unclear on is why cases with that sort of outcome are considered "mild".

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter