When Will the US Reach 100,000 COVID deaths?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are making too many assumptions.
There have been numerous studies of people with immunity who have been never exposed to Covid.
I'm sorry....what? The last I checked on the various bits of knowledge we're gaining here,immunity was nowhere in the picture,in fact last I checked our greatest experts are still trying to figure out why some people can get it,then get it again (is it a different strain? not known) get it,show positive for months after that first exposure(and be very ill) get it, show no symptoms,and develop horrible long term side effects that no one yet understands (A 22 year old with a hysterectomy due to Covid ,yet she was asymptomatic at time of testing) and no one yet knows who will or won't get it and to what degree yet..... :rolleyes1 or how many times one person can get it,or sooo many other things.
I'd be highly interested in who knows something about people being immune....

What national game plan would have prevented that? If someone is going to do that they'll do that. Besides, while Costco is not the place for it, while yelling around and in people's faces about it is not appropriate, the ability to protest should still be there. We don't have to agree with their reasoning of course (and I would rather people wear masks than not wear masks). Even with a national plan if citizens don't agree with it they'll do their own thing. And some will choose to organize walks, rallys, and protests against such rules. Again we don't have to agree with their reasoning of course but that is fairly fundamental to us, that we speak up, even if the masses aren't listening or don't agree on said topic. The issue becomes when people go into a Costco and yell at people. Go outside and organize a protest if you want, just don't be rude and potentially spreading the virus (sometimes intentionally) just to speak up at the Costco worker who is just adhering to the rules.

Well, I think you're referring to the part of my post that spoke to the "Karens and Kens"...or basically "mask protestors". I'm not sure we could have completely prevented it. Even in Germany, where they've had a very good response to the virus for a large, western country....there have been some protests regarding masks and loss of freedom. But really nothing like we've seen here.

I'm really just disgusted and saddened by what has unfolded with our response. We were lied to very early on. Our readiness was pathetic. And our response has been an ad hoc mess as a whole. If we'd had a national plan and stuck together around early May, instead of bifurcating into factions along red and blue lines, we would have avoided the "summer surge" and likely be much more open as a nation today.

Instead, we've fallen into our "camps" as we watch actual science being diminished as "fake news". The new face of the coronavirus task force was chosen because his beliefs line up with the administration's mission which seems to change weekly, but mostly seems to want to put forth junk science instead of actual science. Lately the idea seems to be to completely downplay the virus as "old news". We've "turned the corner". Or, simply to literally avoid even responding to the fact that 200,000 Americans are dead. It's so disconcerting to me.

Clearly, I'm not alone, as many, many Americans are following their own rules and have decided to stay close to home and hunker down. Even those who are "heading out" in my area, are mostly doing so at local restaurants with outdoor dining and "drive-cations" to one of few states nearby that we can visit without having to quarantine for 14 days upon returning. The airline traffic is at 30% of where it was a year ago. The national savings rate is still at 18%, down from a high of 33% in April! Normally, I'd say that Americans need to be saving much more than they do, but in this instance, it's the "haves" who are saving, principally because we're not doing much or going anywhere. All while the "have nots" are falling further and further behind.

Not just with respect to the virus, but with everything else percolating right now, I can honestly say that I've never been more afraid for this nation of ours as I am today. I know, I know...we've endured civil war, fought in two world wars, Vietnam, civil rights, 9/11.....but in my nearly 53 years on the blue and green orb, I am deeply concerned.

I think there are no longer any plans. That’s where most of my frustration is. We went from “two weeks to flatten the curve” to kicking babies off planes for not wearing masks. It’s more than just moving the goalposts. There’s no longer any field. People are frustrated and exhausted.

I went to Publix the other day and despite the mask mandate, people were not wearing them. People are over it.

Those people need to grow up & behave responsibly. It's not over.

Last edited:

The really frustrating thing is knowing that if people had just done what we needed to do, as other countries had, this would not be an 18-month ordeal for us. This whole thing has really soured me on my fellow Americans.

Yup, I feel the same. If we can't pull together for a 100 year pandemic, when can we? The way that science has been politicized and the data cherry picked to meet the needs of the powers that be is horrific. The way that public health officials have been brutally attacked to the point of receiving death threats is criminal. Well, we had 45,0000 cases yesterday and another 1,000 deaths....no biggie.

Yup, I feel the same. If we can't pull together for a 100 year pandemic, when can we? The way that science has been politicized and the data cherry picked to meet the needs of the powers that be is horrific. The way that public health officials have been brutally attacked to the point of receiving death threats is criminal. Well, we had 45,0000 cases yesterday and another 1,000 deaths....no biggie.

Yes it exposed some nastiness that was always lurking beneath the surface and now we have no choice but to acknowledge it.

I think there are no longer any plans. That’s where most of my frustration is. We went from “two weeks to flatten the curve” to kicking babies off planes for not wearing masks. It’s more than just moving the goalposts. There’s no longer any field. People are frustrated and exhausted.

I went to Publix the other day and despite the mask mandate, people were not wearing them. People are over it.
People are absolutely over it. Myself included. But that doesn’t mean I stop doing what is being asked. And the virus doesn’t care if you’re over it. But apparently this means I’m a sheep.

The really frustrating thing is knowing that if people had just done what we needed to do, as other countries had, this would not be an 18-month ordeal for us. This whole thing has really soured me on my fellow Americans.
Absolutely. This is the most frustrating part. “2 weeks to flatten the curve” has so far turned into almost 7 months because we didn’t flatten the curve. When we have people encouraging others to “unmask” and marching through stores claiming the pandemic is over, what do we expect? In my state, the situation is the worst it’s been. Record numbers of cases and hospitalizations. The lame “it’s just young people” excuse is obviously false. I’m just so angry that these naysayers are out having a blast and ignoring everything, spreading the virus, while those of us trying to do the right thing are left in limbo because we have no control or plan. It’s not living in fear - it’s called being responsible.

Yes it exposed some nastiness that was always lurking beneath the surface and now we have no choice but to acknowledge it.
Yep. People have become unbelievably awful to anyone who doesn’t agree with them. I’m losing so much respect for other people.

It's not just the US...
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-54278293

The UK is on it's second wave too, which if people have been paying attention Europe has seen a resurgence in cases as well over the last few months as they've reopened. The focus, maybe rightfully so for certain reasons, tends to be the U.S. and its handling but reality is that other countries and regions of the globe suffer from some of the same issues we have here.

There's a thread I jumped on that I should go look back to about "COVID and the rest of us" if anyone wants to know how the rest of the world (primarily posters from Canada, Australia/NZ area, and parts of Europe) it's a good thread to get that viewpoint outside of just news articles one reads in passing.

The UK is on it's second wave too, which if people have been paying attention Europe has seen a resurgence in cases as well over the last few months as they've reopened. The focus, maybe rightfully so for certain reasons, tends to be the U.S. and its handling but reality is that other countries and regions of the globe suffer from some of the same issues we have here.

There's a thread I jumped on that I should go look back to about "COVID and the rest of us" if anyone wants to know how the rest of the world (primarily posters from Canada, Australia/NZ area, and parts of Europe) it's a good thread to get that viewpoint outside of just news articles one reads in passing.
If you don't actually look at and analyze the numbers, then the US looks like we are the worst of the world as the media and half our politics are laying it out for us. If you actually look at the numbers, you can see that we are doing pretty average as is the rest of the world and the numbers are pretty close for most of the world. That is with the admitted inflated and falsified numbers even.

If you don't actually look at and analyze the numbers, then the US looks like we are the worst of the world as the media and half our politics are laying it out for us. If you actually look at the numbers, you can see that we are doing pretty average as is the rest of the world and the numbers are pretty close for most of the world. That is with the admitted inflated and falsified numbers even.

Well, I'm really not sure how you come to this conclusion. I focus in on how many Americans have died with respect to our population. We are 4% of the world population and we have just over 20% of the recorded deaths since the pandemic began. How anyone can construe this as a win, or doing well, or anything even remotely close to that is just mind boggling to me.

Well, I'm really not sure how you come to this conclusion. I focus in on how many Americans have died with respect to our population. We are 4% of the world population and we have just over 20% of the recorded deaths since the pandemic began. How anyone can construe this as a win, or doing well, or anything even remotely close to that is just mind boggling to me.
exactly.

:( Sept 6-26 2020- another 15,170 recorded deaths due to Covid in the US.

:( Sept 6-26 2020- another 15,170 recorded deaths due to Covid in the US.

Right, and the model from Washington State that the federal government uses, has to death total a bit over 370K by the end of the year. They called for 200K dead by October 1st, and came in a bit under in that forecast. We hit 200,000 sooner than that. So, let's hope they're wrong this time too, but in the other direction. But the number will surely be horrific.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america?view=total-deaths&tab=trend

I come up with conclusions by looking at all the numbers of the US and compare them to all of the numbers of all of the countries of the world. What most do is look at all of the numbers that certain parts of the government and the fear mongering main stream media show them. It's a lot of work, but worth it to understand what is truth and not.

I come up with conclusions by looking at all the numbers of the US and compare them to all of the numbers of all of the countries of the world. What most do is look at all of the numbers that certain parts of the government and the fear mongering main stream media show them. It's a lot of work, but worth it to understand what is truth and not.
I’ve wondered if different countries count COVID deaths differently. Not enough to research it in depth, but just wondered...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter