When will we get a new fleet of Monorail?

The automation routine isn't written that way. It's done in blocks and the blocks are more frequent than just the hotels. To oversimplify, if block 1 is TTC and block 2 is the Poly but block 3 is halfway to the GF and block 4 is the GF. Then a monorail at the Poly may leave as soon as Block 3 is cleared but then get paused because Block 4 is not clear.

That makes sense, especially when I consider that my last trip involved delays at Poly station and between Poly and GF. But the layman in me doesn't understand why more than four blocks were designed, unless more than four trains run at one time on one line.

That makes sense, especially when I consider that my last trip involved delays at Poly station and between Poly and GF. But the layman in me doesn't understand why more than four blocks were designed, unless more than four trains run at one time on one line.
Well... like I said, I used a vast oversimplification. Wikipedia is not usually the best source, but you can glean some better info about the system here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Disney_World_Monorail_System

Scroll down to the Train Safety section. The system used light colors for human conductors, and the lights are still there, but the automation process included non-visual electronic communication upgrades as well that are now the primary tools as the driver is basically a redundant safety measure instead of an actual participant.

If I had to guess... and I am... the monorail most likely runs similar to a railroad. I am going to base this on how I have witnessed signals operation by me.
Let's say train1 leaves block1 and is in block2. Train2 cannot proceed past block1.
Train2 now clears block2 and is in block3. Train1 can proceed to block2 but only at a reduced speed.
Train1 needs to be two blocks ahead before train2 can operated a full speed.
This is way over simplified but I would think the monorails would operate very similar to this.

You also need more than 4 blocks as then, if you had 3 trains running, only one could actually be moving at a time since there is only one open block.

How often is the monorail actually evacuated? I honestly feel like people exaggerate the unreliability of the monorails. I hear a lot about it but it just hasn’t been our experience. People talk about the condition, but they’re in the process of updating them and the updates are nice 🤷🏻‍♀️
I find that people sometimes overexagerate problems with transportation sytems anywaher bassed on waht they expernce well they are using it. For example ot stops for longer then they want or holds between sations it's broken down or it gets taken down for mantince it's broken.

The monorail is crazy expensive to maintain and refurb as years go on. It would not surprise me if the long range plan is to scrap it and replace the MK loop with some sort of new light rail, and the EPCOT line with a Skyliner.

Additional Skyliner lines sounds great at first, but the more they rely on them the worse it gets when a storm shuts them down. You can't have a hundred bus drivers hanging around a lounge waiting for the call.

As stated by others the buses are really the cheapest choice. I think conversion to green fuels and dedicated bus lanes and roads is perhaps the best option.

I think concern about the beams is probably overstated to a large degree. Yes, the EPCOT ones are assumed to be more problematic based on what is known of their construction, but concrete is incredibly resilient. I think a lot of peoples' concern is based on surface markings because that's really all we have to go on. Disney isn't really going to come out and provide a lifespan or an analysis of the structural integrity of the system. But concrete can be awfully pitted and tarnished on the surface and still be structurally sound. Until you hear of chunks dropping off and netting being placed under the track and around the columns, something that is fairly common in parts of our disintegrating Interstate system that we continue to push millions of tons of traffic over annually, it's hard to point to anything visible that would tell you the beams are reaching the end of their functional life cycle.

Surface mold and mildew, which was cleaned a few years ago via power washing, is certainly not a sign of deterioration.

Monorail station refurb coming to the Poly beginning October 2020.
Maybe they will take advantage of this refurb to make modifications to the platform which will accommodate the new monorails.

Maybe they will take advantage of this refurb to make modifications to the platform which will accommodate the new monorails.
But there are no new monorails ordered, and probably won’t be for another few years (then add on 3-5 years from whenever they are ordered until they’re delivered). So I don’t think Disney will change to accommodate a new monorail that is most likely 7-10 years away (if ever) and could be completely different by the time they do order.

More than likely they’re going to expand the waiting area so it doesn’t stretch into the GCH, especially now with social distancing.

Is it weird that I saw this and had to come up with an alternate name for a group of monorails ala the names of various groups of animals on Kilimanjaro? Float of crocodiles. Bloat of hippos. Flamboyance of flamingos. Tower of giraffes.

I'm pretty sure a group of monorails is known as a "glide" of monorails.

Is it weird that I saw this and had to come up with an alternate name for a group of monorails ala the names of various groups of animals on Kilimanjaro? Float of crocodiles. Bloat of hippos. Flamboyance of flamingos. Tower of giraffes.

I'm pretty sure a group of monorails is known as a "glide" of monorails.
Is that a baker's glide or a regular even glide?

But there are no new monorails ordered, and probably won’t be for another few years (then add on 3-5 years from whenever they are ordered until they’re delivered). So I don’t think Disney will change to accommodate a new monorail that is most likely 7-10 years away (if ever) and could be completely different by the time they do order.

More than likely they’re going to expand the waiting area so it doesn’t stretch into the GCH, especially now with social distancing.

I also heard 2 maintenance guys who were hitching a ride on the monorail, say that the far side platform at the Poly station has deteriorated to a point of not being safe for people to access. Not sure when or if that side was ever used, but could be something they look to rectify when doing the rehab

Are you saying Monorail aren’t the future of transportation Walt once thought they would be? ;)

Hey, he might just be rite, u never know. They are building more and more high speed monorails all over the world. Wouldn't that be something though if Walt was rite.

The monorail is crazy expensive to maintain and refurb as years go on. It would not surprise me if the long range plan is to scrap it and replace the MK loop with some sort of new light rail, and the EPCOT line with a Skyliner.

Additional Skyliner lines sounds great at first, but the more they rely on them the worse it gets when a storm shuts them down. You can't have a hundred bus drivers hanging around a lounge waiting for the call.

As stated by others the buses are really the cheapest choice. I think conversion to green fuels and dedicated bus lanes and roads is perhaps the best option.

I saw an article a few years ago that Disney was testing self driving car pods (best description I can think of) on a series of back roads which - in theory - could be built between parks to be used. I believe they were all electric.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts