When you have to gate check your carry on, and the yellow tags...

VAfamily1998

DIS Veteran
For our next trip the best rate I'm finding is for an American basic economy fare; I'd be allowed to bring a carry on but would have to pay for a checked bag.
When I've taken these flights before, the last several people on the plane were forced to gate check their carry on bag (at no charge) because there was no more room in the overhead compartment. Their bags would then go to the regular baggage claim when they land.

So if this happened to me, and as I'm boarding they tell me I must check my carry on bag, could I quickly put on those yellow sticker tag (or I guess I could even put it on at home, just in case) so that it would get picked up and brought to my resort room for me? That should still work, right? Has anyone ever done this?

I've just heard that baggage claim at MCO is awful and I really would rather not go there.

You can either yellow tag them OR give DME your claim check tickets.

My concern would be that my carryon usually has stuff I need and I wouldn't want to wait the three hours for it to be delivered.

I’ve never found baggage claim at Mco to be a problem. I’m one of those that always collect bags before going to ME so I have my bags with me. You could take two bags, one carryon size to fit above and another that fits under the seat.

Why not put the yellow tag on while waiting to board? This way you are ready to go either way. I'm always frazzled when boarding and would probably forget to put on the tag.

Baggage claim can be crowded depending, I wouldn't call it awful. We always check our bags and retrieve them before heading to DME. It could be a hike depending on which side of the airport you are on.

Yes - I have done exactly this! Like a pp said pack your 24 hours of essentials in your personal item.

The only thing to double check is what you are being offered - gate check or full bag check.

If its a gate check you need to skip the yellow tag and wait in the hallway after deplaning; your bag will be delivered there instead of routed to baggage claim. (and you still avoid bag claim)

If its a full bag check, attach the yellow DME tag, let them tag it with the airline tag and your bag will be delivered to your room as if you had originally checked it.

If you get the yellow tags I think it's a good idea to go on and put them on, just in case. When I have a 2nd bag I'm often one to volunteer to check it through to baggage claim. In our case, it's often a 2nd bag so our yellow tag went on a bag already so I give the ME staff my claim check. But if I didn't have a checked bag already, I'd put it on the one I'm bringing through to the plane instead.

You can either yellow tag them OR give DME your claim check tickets.

My concern would be that my carryon usually has stuff I need and I wouldn't want to wait the three hours for it to be delivered.
When you fly commuter aircraft you learn never to pack your essentials in your carry on bag. Always limited to what's in your personal item only. Commuter aircraft often have overheads that are limited in what fits. Wheeled bags rarely do. Unless VERY small ones. They'll require you to gate check them, which also means you have to wait for them when changing planes AND, as I learned once, they can be forgotten and left on the jetway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter