Where are the best holiday decorations?

IwantobeTinkerbell

Earning My Ears
For the last 16 months I have been planning our first Chirstmas trip to Disney. I NEVER would have picked the week between Christmas and New Years if not for the decorations. We dislike crowds but love the lights! After all the horror stories I have been reading about the crowds, and the fact that the Osbourne Lights have been cancelled, we have reduced our days to be spent in WDW. Therefore, I need some educated opinions! Which parks have the best decorations? Is there one that is a must see?

Can you visit the resorts if you are not staying on site? I really want to see them but we had too many people going this time to stay in the park. We rented a house.

Thanks for all your advice!:wave: :tongue:

:earsboy:WELCOME to the DIS IwantobeTinkerbell :earsboy:

It is a bummer that the Osbourne Lights won't be showing this Christmas time but WDW is still FILLED with beautiful Holiday sights.

NOT TO BE MISSED...EPCOT....a gorgeous archway between Future World leading to Showcase Plaza.It changes colors with the music.AWESOME!!!

Main Street in MK with the Mickey wreathes and garland strung acossed it.Toon town Fair is fun too.

And YES you can visit the resorts if you're not staying on site.The WL and GF are spectacular at this time of year!

Thanks for the Welcome! Actually, I have been a veteren for a couple of years, but since our next visit was sooo far off I could not bear to read all about my favorite place. I was away for awhile and when I came back, I was a newbie again! I do't care...it is still great to belong!

Your advice was just what I was thinking!!!! Thanks again!

And just about anywhere you go on the WDW property, you'll feel it! I go the week after Thanksgiving so I can see the decorations, but not have to deal with the crowds associated with periods closer to the holiday season.

It's too bad you won't be able to see the Osborne Lights. They are... indescribable. If it's at all possible, they are one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen... and among the most tacky. It's wonderful and inspiring and silly and... well, truly unbelievable! I'm sorry they won't be up for my visit this year.

That said, all of the parks "dress" for the holidays, but, personally, I think Epcot might be the most festive of the parks. you get Santas from around the world, and many of the countries have shops featuring both trees decorated with native ornaments and beautiful decoratiosn to sell. Plus there's the beautiful Epcot tree, the carillion which usually plays at its base, and one of the most killer combos in any of the parks at the holiday season: The fountain dancing to holiday music as the international archway, decked out in multi-colored lights, flashes along in time. Stunning. I could watch this one for hours.

Also, if at all possible, buy tickets for the Very Merry Christmas Party held in the Magic Kingdom. Yes, it costs extra. But wow,is it worth it. They make it "snow" on Main Street, there are special performances and parades...it's a most magical time of the year! I'd say the Magic Kingdom might well be the second most festive park when it comes to decorating.

Take away the Osborne Lights festival, and nothing really jumps out at me as particularly outstanding decoration wise at MGM, but I might be forgetting. And that leaves Animal Kingdom the least well-decorated of the parks. Which is not to say it's not beautiful, just not... you know, packing that "wow" factor.

And yes, you can visit the resorts all you like. The Grand Floridian is particularly gorgeous at the Holiday season. If it's convenient for you to get to, I'd also recommend a visit to The Wilderness Lodge, which is SO gorgeous in and of itself, let alone when you throw in a rustic-Christmas kinda feel (and the humongous tree in the lobby!).

Have a great, great time!

Richard
:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Just wanted to add that (IMHO) Wilderness Lodge and the Grand Floridian are must-see resorts!! Just pick a day when you get to the MK and say "Eeeek, way too many people!!!" Hop on a boat to the Wilderness Lodge and prepare to be in awe!! Then go back by boat and hop the resort monorail to the Grand Floridian and have your breath taken away!!! There's just no place like WDW at Christmas. BTW, you're not alone in becoming a "welcomed guest" once again, after loosing posts. I think this is my 3rd time :)

I would have to say the giant tree in front of the MGM Studios gate, when decorated is WOWWWW!! And of course the awesome decorations and trees at the different resorts are beautiful!!

Jules

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter