Where are we, Jersey? Bye, Phoenicians! An August 2017 TR * NEW DINING/TR LINKS*

Loving the Universal reviews...However, I don't think I could ever stay at one of the resorts, as gorgeous as they are. I feel like I would be committing blasphemy. LOL!!!

Enjoying your review of the resorts. We stayed 2 nights at RPR in 2016 and really liked it especially for the Express pass! My back got really sore after the first night, now I have no idea if it was the bed there or something else but I do equate my back going out on me our last morning to the resort. It was awful. I am nervous to stay again even though it was probably a coincidence!

Portifino looks lovely as well.

I want to swim with the elephants!They look like they are having fun!
I wonder if anyone has ever jumped in lol!

Darn it - staying at hard rock in May with my brother and his family - so was hoping to get your opinion. It will first time at Universal for all of us. I must say I like the way the other hotels look so hopefully Hard Rock will be as nice ? I am worried about food though. You don’t seem to have had much luck there
Believe me, I really wanted to tour it! I did walk around the resort a bit back in 2015 when we were there as a family; just the lobby and the pool area and we thought it was gorgeous. I love the theming and the whole rock n roll vibe. Just wish we'd gotten in to the rooms but I'm sure you'll love it!

I love mini condiments! :rotfl:
I actually thought of you when I saw them :goodvibes

I know you only toured this one kind of room, but do you know if king bed rooms are completely different? I don't think we booked a king bed room when we stayed but the room we got had a king bed, and it also had a full bathroom (like an entire room with a toilet on one side of the room, a long sink and mirror area, and a big shower/tub on the other). It was really nice, but looking at this bathroom looked nothing like it, so now I'm confused about what kind of room we had :rotfl: But it was really nice so I'm glad!
You know what, I have no idea :scratchin I'm going to search through all the pictures everyone took and see if anyone else was in a different type of room; maybe you were upgraded without knowing it? It wasn't a handicapped-accessible room, was it?

I had heard good things about their security.
It's just very quick and easy, especially when you do it at the water taxi. But even if you go through it at CityWalk before getting in the park it goes so much smoother than at Disney.

PBH is gorgeous I want to try HRH in November if we can get a good rate.
I have a feeling if I did tour HRH it would be my favorite just based on theming. Portofino is romantic though and for me, who really only likes being outside when at Disney :P I could sit out back in the courtyard and just hang and be happy.

We stayed at Portofino Bay the first time for 3 or 4 nights and while you mentioned you didn't think it would be as kid friendly, I have to disagree. We really loved it, especially the pool area or AREAS as we used both of them. The rooms were so much more spacious also.
I do think it's kid-friendly, I just think my boys would like different resort more; HRH, definitely Cabana Bay even though you don't get EP and even possibly RPR. The rooms are definitely bigger at Portofino for sure!

And sucks (again) about the food.
:sad2: We did end up eating at pre-selected CityWalk restaurants so I feel they tried to impress us there, but otherwise I believe they could do so much better..................

Loving the Universal reviews...However, I don't think I could ever stay at one of the resorts, as gorgeous as they are. I feel like I would be committing blasphemy. LOL!!!
:laughing: I really don't see us staying on property unless it's a night or two, if we visit again for the boys, to get EP. I can do all I'd care to do in the parks in one day so I don't need a long stay on-site!

Enjoying your review of the resorts. We stayed 2 nights at RPR in 2016 and really liked it especially for the Express pass!
It's extremely worth it to stay at one of the resorts with EP even though the price is higher, because it comes out less than staying at say, Cabana Bay and adding the pass. We did go in late Aug. a few years ago and were fine without EP but of course it depends on time of year. No way would I go during a busy time without it.

My back got really sore after the first night, now I have no idea if it was the bed there or something else but I do equate my back going out on me our last morning to the resort. It was awful. I am nervous to stay again even though it was probably a coincidence!
That's interesting, because at our training quite a few of the agents were saying how much they were loving the mattresses at Sapphire Falls! And then one of the speakers said they get tons of guests asking for the brand. I didn't think it was horrible but I didn't think it was anything special. I can't say if it was the mattress or not but I hope it doesn't keep you from trying again!

I actually thought of you when I saw them :goodvibes

:rotfl:

You know what, I have no idea :scratchin I'm going to search through all the pictures everyone took and see if anyone else was in a different type of room; maybe you were upgraded without knowing it? It wasn't a handicapped-accessible room, was it?

Ok I just googled it, and it looks like we might've been upgraded to a deluxe room. I don't remember booking one, but online it says they have bigger bathrooms.

the Hard Rock Hotel. This sucked because on our training trip last year we also toured them all but HRH so the 3 of us had been hoping to get there.

Well... poop. I was hoping to see that one too.

Didn't really make much sense but whatever, just a difference some of us noticed between Uni and Disney.

I'd have guessed that too, but their explanation still doesn't add up. 6 months is a long time.

img_8016-jpg.308384

Amazeballs! That is cool!

I love all the pictures, so no complaints here!

I've stayed at RPR twice and really like it, though I've never stayed at PBR. If they both cost the same, I'd give it a try, but I don't know that I'd necessarily pay more for it, and it's usually much more pricey.

Also, I tell you, the one thing I miss at Universal's hotels is having a balcony. I never realized how much I enjoy that until I stay at Universal and I can't go sit outside.

Congrats grandma! That’s great news.

Finally catching up, been snowed under at work the last couple weeks.

I’m always fascinated by Universal hotels. They look great and have good perks like the express pass. But I just can’t see me ever leaving the Disney bubble.

How close are these resorts to the park? If you don't take the water taxi then can you walk to the park? I've never been to Universal, and probably never get over there.

How close are these resorts to the park? If you don't take the water taxi then can you walk to the park? I've never been to Universal, and probably never get over there.

Most of the resorts are not a bad walk at all to Universal parks, and you can follow the path next to the water where the taxi is running.

Next stop was my favorite from last year, Royal Pacific Resort!

Love RPR! Last time we stayed at USO, the price of RPR was right and we really liked it! :)

And this is the covered area where they do their security check before you get on the water taxi. I will say, and I said this last year, Universal really does their security quickly and efficiently.

Agreed!

You can't really get it from my pictures but this resort is very pretty with lots of cool foliage outside. Unfortunately lots of it was dead :faint: One of the older agents commented on this and asked our guide why so much of the foliage was dead and hadn't been replaced and the guide said it was because of the hurricane (6 months prior). Didn't really make much sense but whatever, just a difference some of us noticed between Uni and Disney.

Hmm. That's interesting. I can see how the hurricane would kill some of the foliage, but I'd expect them to have pulled out the dead stuff within 6 months... :confused3

However our next stop, even though I'd visited here during our training last year, changed my mind this time as far as which resort is my favorite. After we finished up at Royal Pacific, we moved from the South Pacific to Italy and toured
Portofino Resort!

I have a friend who worked at Portofino on a hospitality placement, and she raved about it!!

These rooms are so spacious!

img_8031-jpg.308406

They look spacious! And very relaxing. :goodvibes

Hi guys! I decided it's time to go over our plans for March trip which is in exactly 9 days :jumping3: since I'm obviously not going to get my Universal trip wrapped up before that. I'll make this quick, I would have loved to do a whole PTR but you can see how that would've ended up!
Saturday March 24th: fly into MCO 10:20 am
-drop bags at CCV
-1:00 lunch at Beaches and Cream
-HS with some FP's
-boat over to Epcot for some F&G booths

Sunday, March 25th
-Magic Kingdom, opens at 9 luckily since after this it goes to 8 a.m.
-at some point try desperately to get the boys to venture over to Tom Sawyer Island for the first time since Chris was like, 2
-Possibly go to Pecos Bill's for lunch? Haven't been there in ages, although I'd LOVE to take a ride to the Poly and get the lovely pulled pork nachos from Capt. Cook's! Depends if we feel like leaving and returning and if I can get Steve to give up lunch at CHH
-Dinner at Artist Point 5:35, a first for us and I'm really excited!
-Return most likely to MK; going to attempt getting the boys to watch HEA for the first time, although most likely not from the front of the castle since none of us care for projections.
-If nobody wants to go back to MK, either Steve and I will go to Epcot for a bit or we'll hang at the resort down at Geyser Point :D

Monday, March 26th
-Epcot
-will I do the egg hunt again this year? Of course, because the boys weren't with me last year when I did it and I KNOW they'll love helping me look for the eggs :duck:
-Lunch at Via Napoli
-sadly we can't snack at the booths too much today because in addition to VN we have a TS dinner. Whenever we feel like it we'll head to...
-DS for a bit of shopping; the boys of course need to go to The Trophy Room and look for sneakers......
-Dinner at House of Blues. I've always wanted to try it but we've never gotten there. Quite a few things on the menu look interesting and I rarely see reviews, so we'll see how it goes!

Tuesday, March 27th
-back to DS, this time for Splitsville for some bowling! We loved this last year and we're definitely going to eat lunch here again. I'll be getting the nachos!
-We have FP's starting at 3pm for Animal Kingdom, our first one being for Flights of Passage
-Dinner will be at Nomad Lounge. It's kind of killing me not to eat at Tiffins this trip but the menu at Nomad Lounge works better for the boys, and really I'm fine with eating at the Lounge. Just hope there's a table because the last couple times I've been in there, tables are SCARCE.
-We will NOT be watching ROL but will be staying to catch some TOL awakenings and hopefully riding EE after dark :goodvibes

Wednesday, March 28th
-Back to AK again! It's just the way it worked for FP's since I told Ricky I'd get FOP at least 2x. So that's why we're going back here! I'd like to make it out to Rafiki's Planet Watch also since that's another place we haven't visited in close to 10 years. It won't be thrilling I know, but since it is spring break I think it's a good time to do things like this and Tom Sawyer Island.
-No idea where lunch will be, possibly Satuli but not sure the kids will like it so we may split up.
-Tonight we commit what some may see as a sin and go **OFF PROPERTY** :scared1: We will be going to CityWalk to watch Blue Man Group! I saw this for the first time last year when I went to the Universal TA training and it is all sorts of awesome; I know Steve and the boys will love it and I've been wanting to take them ever since. So tonight is the night! We haven't gotten tickets yet but I believe the show is 6?
-Afterwards we'll eat somewhere on CityWalk. The kids want to go to NBC Grille; maybe, maybe not. I ate there in Feb. during the Uni training and while I haven't gotten to that part yet in my TR-----------maybe, maybe not.

Thursday, March 29th
-starting out at MK, bright and early since we're getting towards the end of our trip and they open at 8. Can't waste time now!
-later lunch at LTT, 1:45. Having my salad and then Ooey Gooey Toffee cake. That all balances out, right?
-At some point we'll go over to HS; hopefully we're able to get one or two decent FP's after using our 3 at MK. We're going here not only so I can ride my TOT again but because I booked
-The Fantasmic! Dessert Party! I'm looking forward to this! We haven't seen Fantasmic! in a year or so and since it's spring break I figured what the hell, it'll be good to have reserved seating. And I like the whole snack-in-a-box thing, too.

Friday, March 30th
-Here is where our 3rd FOP FP happens! Ricky has ridden this once, last August, and he absolutely loved it. We couldn't get any more FP's for it that trip which is why we're doing our FP's at AK 3x this trip. Our first one isn't until 9:30 and even though the park opens early I don't think we'll rush; we'll be here for a few hours because we have a lunch reservation
-Yak and Yet lunch at 2:00. I couldn't get it earlier!
-Then we'll go to our last park of the trip, which at Steve's request is Epcot. ELO is playing the F&G Festival that night (well, I think it's like 1 or 2 original members) and he'd like to see them and that was really his only request. At least I get to work my way through more booths! Hopefully the kids can get a decent FP or two to keep them happy and if not, they can head back to the resort. We'll also probably end up grabbing some type of QS.

Saturday, March 31st
-Our flight leaves at 11 something so we'll have an early ME pick up :) Why no sad face there you ask? Well, we have an August trip planned already, so I'll be back in 5 months!

BUT WAIT.........
WAIT FOR IT...........

We are also going down for a quick, 3 night trip in May :dancer:
It's a long story and I'm tired so I'll explain it next time, but my younger stepson Eric requested we be his wingdad/wingmom while he goes to see the girl he's been.....dating? Talking to? Spending time on social media with :surfweb: Whatever the case they went to high school together, she's now in Orlando, and he's decided they have enough of a relationship that he can visit her now. After years of me BEGGING him to come with us :headache: But I'm not complaining! So here's what's going on for that trip:

MAY 5-8

Yeah.....that's all we got so far, plus flights. No resort, not even sure at this point if Ricky and Chris are coming although flights are booked for them to come. Like I said, long story!

Sorry for the lack of pictures but I wanted to get our plans out there and share my currently-3-trips-planned news :woohoo::woohoo:

I'll answer your comments hopefully tomorrow and then finish up my Universal trip!

Looks like a fabulous plan! I think you'll really enjoy Artist Point. Mmm! Creamy mushroom soup!
-Dinner will be at Nomad Lounge. It's kind of killing me not to eat at Tiffins this trip but the menu at Nomad Lounge works better for the boys, and really I'm fine with eating at the Lounge. Just hope there's a table because the last couple times I've been in there, tables are SCARCE.

Also.. this!!! So in love with this place. I've done meals in both and both are amazing!

Three planned trips?! :hyper::hyper::hyper: Now that's a good scenario! :thumbsup2 We'll just miss each other in May, though. I'll be there on the 14th :sad2: Someday we'll overlap! :hug:

Thursday, March 29th
-starting out at MK, bright and early since we're getting towards the end of our trip and they open at 8. Can't waste time now!
-later lunch at LTT, 1:45. Having my salad and then Ooey Gooey Toffee cake. That all balances out, right?
-At some point we'll go over to HS; hopefully we're able to get one or two decent FP's after using our 3 at MK. We're going here not only so I can ride my TOT again but because I booked
-The Fantasmic! Dessert Party! I'm looking forward to this! We haven't seen Fantasmic! in a year or so and since it's spring break I figured what the hell, it'll be good to have reserved seating. And I like the whole snack-in-a-box thing, too.

Friday, March 30th
-Here is where our 3rd FOP FP happens! Ricky has ridden this once, last August, and he absolutely loved it. We couldn't get any more FP's for it that trip which is why we're doing our FP's at AK 3x this trip. Our first one isn't until 9:30 and even though the park opens early I don't think we'll rush; we'll be here for a few hours because we have a lunch reservation
-Yak and Yet lunch at 2:00. I couldn't get it earlier!
-Then we'll go to our last park of the trip, which at Steve's request is Epcot. ELO is playing the F&G Festival that night (well, I think it's like 1 or 2 original members) and he'd like to see them and that was really his only request. At least I get to work my way through more booths! Hopefully the kids can get a decent FP or two to keep them happy and if not, they can head back to the resort. We'll also probably end up grabbing some type of QS.

First of all...YEAH for another trip. I'm on the verge of booking one but waiting for the SWA points to drop before I do so. I'm still considering an end of May trip and either a mid-June or early July trip also. We'll see though.

So I figured I'd see if our plans overlap at all and the only thing I think is that we DO plan to be in MK on Thursday afternoon. We have our first FP+ there at 2pm for Pirates, so it's possible you'd be getting out of LTT lunch as I'm getting off Pirates. So jealous of your lunch...bring me some Toffee Cake okay? :) We have dinner plans at Citricos that night!

Friday we plan to be at Magic Kingdom since we are doing the Marceline to MK tour that morning. We then have to head to HS for some FP+s and then I was thinking EPCOT for the evening maybe just to try some F&G Booths or have Fish n'Chips there since my good Catholic family members don't eat meat on Fridays. So we could possibly be there at the same time.

Sounds like a fun trip though!

it's time to go over our plans for March trip which is in exactly 9 days :jumping3:

:hyper:

Dinner at House of Blues. I've always wanted to try it but we've never gotten there. Quite a few things on the menu look interesting and I rarely see reviews, so we'll see how it goes!

Can't wait to hear your review! I've thought about trying this out in the future.

We are also going down for a quick, 3 night trip in May :dancer:
It's a long story and I'm tired so I'll explain it next time, but my younger stepson Eric requested we be his wingdad/wingmom while he goes to see the girl he's been.....dating? Talking to? Spending time on social media with :surfweb: Whatever the case they went to high school together, she's now in Orlando, and he's decided they have enough of a relationship that he can visit her now. After years of me BEGGING him to come with us :headache: But I'm not complaining! So here's what's going on for that trip:

MAY 5-8

:hyper: so excited to maybe see you there!

Plans look good!!! Do you still want to try to meet up? Perhaps, we can meet up Sunday before your dinner at Artist Point?????? Joe and I may head over to Geyser Point for a pre dinner drink (or drinks) before our dinner at Cali Grill.:drinking1:cool1:

Oh I am there May 6 - 8 solo. 9 - 11 with brother and family. Sounds like good plans for next trip

Plans look great, you will have to let me know how the Fantasmic VIP dessert party is, Andi and I are doing this in April! I’m so excited for you with all your trips planned, so fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!