Where are we, Jersey? Bye, Phoenicians! An August 2017 TR * NEW DINING/TR LINKS*

Hi guys! I decided it's time to go over our plans for March trip which is in exactly 9 days
My trip upcoming trip is March 20-27... If you see a crazy lady looking at you funny it might be me thinking "Do I know her? Why does she look vaguely familiar?" LOL!

-1:00 lunch at Beaches and Cream

Great way to kick-off your trip!

Possibly go to Pecos Bill's for lunch?

DS loves Peco Bill's.

will I do the egg hunt again this year? Of course, because the boys weren't with me last year when I did it and I KNOW they'll love helping me look for the eggs :duck:

That actually sounds like a lot of fun. When does it end? We won't be there until the Sunday after Easter…DD would definitely like to do this.
Tonight we commit what some may see as a sin and go **OFF PROPERTY** :scared1: We will be going to CityWalk to watch Blue Man Group! I saw this for the first time last year when I went to the Universal TA training and it is all sorts of awesome; I know Steve and the boys will love it and I've been wanting to take them ever since. So tonight is the night! We haven't gotten tickets yet but I believe the show is 6?

I keep meaning to see that and still haven't :sad2:

Afterwards we'll eat somewhere on CityWalk. The kids want to go to NBC Grille; maybe, maybe not. I ate there in Feb. during the Uni training and while I haven't gotten to that part yet in my TR-----------maybe, maybe not.

Cowfish was yummy, but I guess they don't have basketball…I'm assuming that's the appeal of that NBC Grille?

Having my salad and then Ooey Gooey Toffee cake. That all balances out, right?

Absolutely!

-Here is where our 3rd FOP FP happens!

Awesome! We only did it for two days, and I hope I'm not kicking myself for not doing a third.

Well, we have an August trip planned already, so I'll be back in 5 months!

Nice!

my younger stepson Eric requested we be his wingdad/wingmom while he goes to see the girl he's been.....dating? Talking to? Spending time on social media with :surfweb: Whatever the case they went to high school together, she's now in Orlando, and he's decided they have enough of a relationship that he can visit her now. After years of me BEGGING him to come with us :headache: But I'm not complaining! So here's what's going on for that trip:

MAY 5-8

That's so exciting!

r March trip which is in exactly 9 days :jumping3:
So close!!! I can't wait to hear how the crowds are for you.

at some point try desperately to get the boys to venture over to Tom Sawyer Island for the first time since Chris was like, 2
Just threaten them with something that is worse, that way this will seem way better! If it is busy, it will be a nice break from the crowds for sure.

although I'd LOVE to take a ride to the Poly and get the lovely pulled pork nachos from Capt. Cook's! Depends if we feel like leaving and returning a
Do it!!! We headed over to the Poly on our first day. We ended up getting a table at the outside area for Trader Sam's and it was so nice! You can order drinks and food from that menu and they didn't care that we got food from Captin Cooks for the girls as well. So, you could get your nachos and a drink!

I told Ricky I'd get FOP at least 2x. So that's why we're going back here! I'd like to make it out to Rafiki's Planet Watch also since that's another place we haven't visited in close to 10 years. It won't be thrilling I know, but since it is spring break I think it's a good time to do things like this and Tom Sawyer Island.
Rafiki's will probably be another good thing to do if it is super busy!

The Fantasmic! Dessert Party! I'm looking forward to this! We haven't seen Fantasmic! in a year or so and since it's spring break I figured what the hell, it'll be good to have reserved seating. And I like the whole snack-in-a-box thing, too.
YEAH! Get there early if you want to sit close. I wish they did more things like this. It was more our style.

3 night trip in May
Awesome!!!!

I'd have guessed that too, but their explanation still doesn't add up. 6 months is a long time.
That's how I felt. Even if new foliage won't grow (although can't they bring some in?) why not get rid of what's dead?

I've stayed at RPR twice and really like it, though I've never stayed at PBR. If they both cost the same, I'd give it a try, but I don't know that I'd necessarily pay more for it, and it's usually much more pricey.
I don't think I've ever seen Portofino less expensive than RPR; occasionally HRH is cheaper than RPR but usually RPR is the least expensive of those 3. But Portofino is just SO gorgeous :love:

Congrats grandma! That’s great news.
:thanks: We are very excited and of course when I was shopping on Friday with @Raeven I started buying clothes for her :goodvibes

I’m always fascinated by Universal hotels. They look great and have good perks like the express pass. But I just can’t see me ever leaving the Disney bubble.
I have to say they are gorgeous, and even Cabana Bay which is one of their "value" resorts is themed incredibly and, in my opinions, quite a few steps above Disney values :rolleyes1 On the other hand I agree it's hard to leave the "bubble" especially if you don't feel the Universal parks have as much to offer as the Disney parks

I haven't been to Universal in over 20 years! :scared1: I'd like to someday, but I just can't seem to drag myself away from Disney :laughing: It was so neat seeing your pictures though :thumbsup2
Before we took the boys in 2015, Steve and I hadn't been since 2000 and man had it changed! It's WAY better so you'd definitely be impressed. But yeah.......it's tough lol. That's why when Ricky doesn't insist on Universal I don't push!

How close are these resorts to the park? If you don't take the water taxi then can you walk to the park? I've never been to Universal, and probably never get over there.
Most of the resorts are not a bad walk at all to Universal parks, and you can follow the path next to the water where the taxi is running.
As @kittylady1972 said they are pretty close! Cabana Bay is the farthest and also doesn't offer the water taxi. I will say that regardless of which resort you leave from, the Universal water taxi ride is really, really pretty.

Hmm. That's interesting. I can see how the hurricane would kill some of the foliage, but I'd expect them to have pulled out the dead stuff within 6 months... :confused3
My thoughts exactly, why is it still there???
I have a friend who worked at Portofino on a hospitality placement, and she raved about it!!
Cool! Next time you do Universal, even if you don't stay there you should visit!

Looks like a fabulous plan! I think you'll really enjoy Artist Point. Mmm! Creamy mushroom soup!
I've had the mushroom soup at Territory Lounge - they (used to at least, I think I heard they've stopped doing this?) get some things from AP until the restaurant closes and our first time at TL I tried the soup and fell in LOVE! So I'll definitely be getting that :thumbsup2 I actually think Chris might like it, too.

Also.. this!!! So in love with this place. I've done meals in both and both are amazing!
Tiffins is my new favorite signature! And while we haven't had anything off the Nomad Lounge menu I've hung out there a few times before Tiffins meals and love the vibe. Can't wait!

hree planned trips?! :hyper::hyper::hyper: Now that's a good scenario!
:dancer:

We'll just miss each other in May, though.
Now that sucks :(

First of all...YEAH for another trip. I'm on the verge of booking one but waiting for the SWA points to drop before I do so. I'm still considering an end of May trip and either a mid-June or early July trip also. We'll see though.
Good for you! This May one came as a total surprise but I'm good with it lol. Not sure we'll do another one after August but.......never say never :D

So I figured I'd see if our plans overlap at all and the only thing I think is that we DO plan to be in MK on Thursday afternoon. We have our first FP+ there at 2pm for Pirates, so it's possible you'd be getting out of LTT lunch as I'm getting off Pirates. So jealous of your lunch...bring me some Toffee Cake okay? :) We have dinner plans at Citricos that night!
I'm going to PM you my #, I'd love to meet up one of those times!

:hyper: so excited to maybe see you there!
Oh we will! Just told Eric this afternoon to lmk asap what ticket I need to get him and which parks he wants FP's in per his gf :laughing: But Steve and I will definitely be in AK at some point on the 5th.

Plans look good!!! Do you still want to try to meet up? Perhaps, we can meet up Sunday before your dinner at Artist Point?????? Joe and I may head over to Geyser Point for a pre dinner drink (or drinks) before our dinner at Cali Grill.:drinking1:cool1:
You know we are, I'm going to answer your PM again!

Oh I am there May 6 - 8 solo
Ooh, we'll have to compare plans once I have some! All I know right now is that we'll hit AK on the 5th for the last day of Party for the Planet. I'm sure we'll be in Epcot on the 6th or 7th and I'll have to ride TOT at least once. Are your plans all set?

I've had the mushroom soup at Territory Lounge - they (used to at least, I think I heard they've stopped doing this?) get some things from AP until the restaurant closes and our first time at TL I tried the soup and fell in LOVE! So I'll definitely be getting that :thumbsup2 I actually think Chris might like it, too.

WL sometimes feels like it's out of the way, but I think that soup alone is worth the trek. ;)

Tiffins is my new favorite signature! And while we haven't had anything off the Nomad Lounge menu I've hung out there a few times before Tiffins meals and love the vibe. Can't wait!

MINE TOO!! I will have a review of it coming up as well on my TR, and I'm loving that it's catching on. Although, as word gets out about the Nomad, I hope it doesn't get too terribly tough to get in!

That's the first part of our trip!!! :hyper:
OOH! We'll have to compare plans when I have some! Where are you staying? I probably know this already but can't remember anything these days........

Plans look great, you will have to let me know how the Fantasmic VIP dessert party is, Andi and I are doing this in April! I’m so excited for you with all your trips planned, so fun!
I'm so excited to try this, I have clients doing it in May and really hope to be able to tell them good things :) Surprisingly enough at dinner tonight both kids asked our plans and when I got to this, Chris commented that we haven't seen F! in a few years and he's looking forward to it :confused3 Not sure if he's sick or what lol but I'll take it!

That actually sounds like a lot of fun. When does it end? We won't be there until the Sunday after Easter…DD would definitely like to do this.
I have to check the dates but I believe it goes at least a week after Easter so she should be able to do it :goodvibes

I keep meaning to see that and still haven't :sad2:
OMG you should, it's amazing ::yes:: Saw it last year at our Universal training and I went into it thinking no big deal, I may like it, maybe not. I was blown away and have been dying to take the family ever since!

Cowfish was yummy, but I guess they don't have basketball…I'm assuming that's the appeal of that NBC Grille?
Yeah pretty much, just because they show games on the screens and any basketball we can get in.........yup. But if I have time between now and Sat. I may check out another place. Cathy and Pam really liked Vivo but we'll have Via Napoli so not sure if they'll all want Italian again. I can eat Italian every day so I'd be fine.

So close!!! I can't wait to hear how the crowds are for you.
Glad you're excited to hear about the crowds lmao!

Do it!!! We headed over to the Poly on our first day. We ended up getting a table at the outside area for Trader Sam's and it was so nice! You can order drinks and food from that menu and they didn't care that we got food from Captin Cooks for the girls as well. So, you could get your nachos and a drink!
I have to figure out where to fit it in!! If not March we should definitely be able to in May.

YEAH! Get there early if you want to sit close.
I was going to ask you about this, how early did you go before the show started?

MINE TOO!! I will have a review of it coming up as well on my TR, and I'm loving that it's catching on. Although, as word gets out about the Nomad, I hope it doesn't get too terribly tough to get in!
Ugh, I wrote somewhere that when Steve and I went there before out Tiffins lunch last Nov., Nomad was PACKED. We couldn't get a seat inside or out and it stayed like that the 20 minutes we were there. We did eventually get 2 seats at the bar but man, people kept coming in! Then last month when Cathy and I went before dinner it was just as packed at all seats inside and out but again we snagged to seats at the bar. I believe the secret is already out :(

I know your TR is pretty long lol but I'll have to get over there :)

Ugh, I wrote somewhere that when Steve and I went there before out Tiffins lunch last Nov., Nomad was PACKED. We couldn't get a seat inside or out and it stayed like that the 20 minutes we were there. We did eventually get 2 seats at the bar but man, people kept coming in! Then last month when Cathy and I went before dinner it was just as packed at all seats inside and out but again we snagged to seats at the bar. I believe the secret is already out :(

Yeah, I think you are, sadly, right. I sooo loved sitting in the sunshine on the outside deck by the water with a glass of nice red wine and my feet up and it wasn't too bad at like 2:00 in the afternoon- after the lunch crowd, before dinner. But, when I went back to have dinner (another day) at Tiffins, it was pretty packed out.

I know your TR is pretty long lol but I'll have to get over there :)

It's honestly a lot of drivel of my own and replies. The updates are going up pretty darned slow as I'm trying to study more for my pilot's exam coming up in May. The chatter is always fun and what makes the TRs worth writing, but it's actually a fairly slow moving one compared to mine of the past. I'd love to have you join in as you can!

Saturday March 24th: fly into MCO 10:20 am

Yay! That is SO soon. Where has the time gone!?

at some point try desperately to get the boys to venture over to Tom Sawyer Island for the first time since Chris was like, 2

Good luck.

Depends if we feel like leaving and returning and if I can get Steve to give up lunch at CHH

I'm with Steve...I have a hard time going elsewhere when CHH is just there calling my name...

-Dinner at House of Blues. I've always wanted to try it but we've never gotten there. Quite a few things on the menu look interesting and I rarely see reviews, so we'll see how it goes!

Cool! I wanna hear about this! My mom and I went for Sunday brunch back eons ago, and it was neat, and I remember the food being pretty good. But we've never done dinner there.

-Dinner will be at Nomad Lounge. It's kind of killing me not to eat at Tiffins this trip but the menu at Nomad Lounge works better for the boys, and really I'm fine with eating at the Lounge. Just hope there's a table because the last couple times I've been in there, tables are SCARCE.

Yum...I'm having a hard time not having a Tiffins reservation on the horizon. So good. But the lounge is awesome and will be more flexible! Good luck — I hope you can find a table! We had a hard time over our Marathon Weekend trip, but that was during a pretty crazy crowd season. Though I guess you'll be there during some spring break crowds, too. Fingers crossed!

-No idea where lunch will be, possibly Satuli but not sure the kids will like it so we may split up.

Yum! We really liked Satuli Canteen last time! Maybe you can get the boys to give it a shot :)

We will be going to CityWalk to watch Blue Man Group!

Yay!!

We are also going down for a quick, 3 night trip in May :dancer:

I got excited for a second, until...

...this.

But exciting that you've got another trip coming up so soon!

Ooh, we'll have to compare plans once I have some! All I know right now is that we'll hit AK on the 5th for the last day of Party for the Planet. I'm sure we'll be in Epcot on the 6th or 7th and I'll have to ride TOT at least once. Are your plans all set?

So far , arriving afternoon of May 6th and splurging on the Ultimate Nights of Adventure tour at AK .
Mon 7th Epcot during the day - early dinner at Cape May before EMH at MK. Tues 8th - DHS during the day late lunch / very early dinner at Chefs de France then evening at EPCOT. My brother and family arrive the next day so trying to get the Flower & Garden in before they arrive .

Would love a DIS meet if it works out. But understand with a short trip for you it might not

I was going to ask you about this, how early did you go before the show started?
I am pretty sure we got there at 7:15 for the 8:00 show. Do they still tell you to get there an hour before? It was still very new when we did it. It was September when we did it, and we were able to sit about 5 rows from the front. There wasn't a separate area for the VIP dessert party folks, it was the same area as the dinning package folks, so you have to find a seat with both groups. (Unless they have changed that since September) They basically rope off the entire middle section, so even if you get there later, you might end up farther back but still dead center.

The surgeon just kept saying "fabulous" and "awesome" when he was checking Ricky out and watching him do exercises, and he said while there are some kids he worries about he's not worried at all about Ricky :thumbsup2 It's a great feeling!
So good to read this!

Because we all need Mickey Waffles every day!
I’m seriously co spidering buying a Mickey waffle iron.

I took a picture of these cute PB Cups:

img_7984-jpg.307239
Yummy!

UNTIL IT STARTED POURING
Uh oh.

Still pouring we needed something we could eat quick and with one hand while we held our hoods on our heads since the wind was blowing so hard.
This sounds so annoying and not fun.

Unfortunately they cancelled the parade due to the rain.
Well that stinks!

:scared1: THERE WAS NO BAR :faint:
WTH?

The dinner was not good and the rest of our time in the park was uneventful, so I'm going to skip to when we got back to Sapphire Falls :goodvibes
Omg how much bad luck can one person have?

Queso Fundido

Chorizo Sausage, Artichoke, Mozzarella and Provolone Cheese, Roasted Poblano
Now this sounds good.

I’m glad your night ended on a good note with all the bad stuff from earlier!

I'm sure I'm preaching to half the choir here but RPR is one of the 3 Universal resorts that includes Express Pass with your stay.
So I may have mentioned this before but in a few years, once the boys are older, we’ll do a night or two at Universal before our Disney stay, and we will definitely choose a hotel with Express Pass.

And if you haven't figured it out, RPR is themed similar to the Poly with a South Pacific vibe.
Sounds good as I really like the Poly theme (hoping to stay there on one of our DVC trips).

Didn't really make much sense but whatever, just a difference some of us noticed between Uni and Disney.
Yeh I was thinking this wouldn’t happen at Disney.

here's the main pool:

img_8027-jpg.308410
This looks nice. I was going to ask if it was more expensive than RPR but you answered that question.

Possibly go to Pecos Bill's for lunch? Haven't been there in ages, although I'd LOVE to take a ride to the Poly and get the lovely pulled pork nachos from Capt. Cook's!
Love me some Pecos Bill! But I would like to get to Capt Cooks one day.

Dinner at Artist Point 5:35, a first for us and I'm really excited!
I so want to try AP!

Lunch at Via Napoli
Love!

We will NOT be watching ROL but will be staying to catch some TOL awakenings and hopefully riding EE after dark :goodvibes
I approve of this plan!

I'd like to make it out to Rafiki's Planet Watch also since that's another place we haven't visited in close to 10 years.
We will check this out one day....

We haven't seen Fantasmic! in a year
Love me some Fantasmic!

We are also going down for a quick, 3 night trip in May :dancer:
Woohoo!

Sorry for the lack of pictures but I wanted to get our plans out there and share my currently-3-trips-planned news :woohoo::woohoo:
Love it. And I love that you interrupted your TR for your plans. I probably need to do this. I was trying to finish my TR (hoping during Spring Break) before sharing our June and Oct plans but I may just need to interrupt it so I can share.

Well we were supposed to get our 4th Nor'easter today and they called a snow day around 6:30. Kids are 2 snow days over their limit so now they go to school the day after Easter, and as of right now, 9:22 pm, we have NO SNOW!
Anyway I figure I'll attempt finishing this thing up before we leave for our next trip on Saturday! In between finishing up my cleaning/packing/working, etc.........

So for this trip I didn't go nuts buying new clothes since I have rubbermaid containers full of Disney attire, but I did buy a couple things:
IMG_8135.JPG

Excuse my messy bed. Got the shirt at the Disney store and ordered the skort from Dick's, along with this one:

IMG_8159.JPG

Then got this at Hot Topic:

IMG_8160.JPG

Love the back!

IMG_8161.JPG

When I met @Raeven last Friday in Albany to shop I looked in Hot Topic, hoping to find more shirts in this style but different patterns, however sadly I did not.
I wanted to order a couple tops from Etsy but waited until last week. Since most of them take like, 4-6 weeks to ship :rolleyes: I had to settle on ordering 1 for this trip:

IMG_8158.JPG

Love, love, love the design but the shirt shows quite a bit of bra, more than I like, so not sure if I'll wear it but it's coming with me. I did see a number of other shirts on Etsy that I want to get for my May trip, so I have to make sure I order them as soon as we get back~
Speaking of meeting up with @Raeven, we went shopping for the 2nd time closer to where she lives in upstate NY. It was great! We got Starbucks which I don't drink often even though Steve works for them and she introduced me to the "pink drink":

IMG_8154.JPG

I saw how pretty hers was and had to get one lol. I loved it! Then Steve told me how many calories are in it >:( But I didn't let that ruin our day! I even got a big ol' thing of COOKIE DOUGH after our lunch:

IMG_8153.JPG

That's right, a dish of cookie dough. If I'm being honest Raeven and I shared this and while I don't normally share my desserts there's no way one of us would have finished this on our own. They had lots of flavors including a red velvet one; Raeven had tried a brownie one I think on a previous trip? So we got the regular cookie dough and it was delicious. Like eating it right out of the tube :P Here we are, pictures courtesy of the queen of selfies:

IMG_8167.JPG

And then me looking totally surprised that there's a camera in front of me:

IMG_8166.JPG

I said this on FB but as you can tell, I have no idea where to look in selfies :rotfl: #oldpersonfail
Anyway we had a good time hanging out and talking and I'm sure we'll get together again! And, we're both going to be in Disney at the same time in May so we should be able to meet up along with Josh and Steve!
Now to finish up from Feb., I give you

DAY 2 PART FOUR
CABANA BAY RESORT
After we finished up at Portofino we went to our last resort stop of the day: Cabana Bay Resort. Now Cathy, Pam and I stayed here during the training last year so we knew most of it but there was one new-ish area I was anxious to see. It was also creeping closer to lunch time and I could feel hanger lurking, so I swore I do my best to keep that under control.

We began our walk by going through the main lobby and out the back, to the pool area. Each building has a neat, 50-ish name:

IMG_8034.JPG

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST

We continued walking around the pool area of Cabana Bay:

IMG_8035.JPG

IMG_8036.JPG

They have a cute lazy river that looks like fun, but you have to purchase a tube if you don't bring your own.

Finally we made our way into one of the new tower buildings that opened last May when Volcano Bay did. This is what I'd been waiting for, because some of the rooms offer an awesome view of VB:

IMG_8041.JPG

IMG_8042.JPG

Honestly my pictures don't even do the view justice, it's amazing and that's coming from someone who doesn't like water parks! If I did ever end up staying here I would book a volcano view room for sure. I also like the decor which is the same as in the family suite we stayed in on our training last year:

IMG_8043.JPG

Next we made our way back to the main building and took a look around the Bayliner Diner. I ate here a couple times last year, food was fine, love the theming as the 50's kitsch is continued.
They have something cool for the kids:

IMG_8037.JPG

And for kids and adults:

IMG_8038.JPG

And with that, our resort tours came to an end. And not a moment too soon because I was about to die of hunger! We made our way back up to the conference room here at CBBR and they had lunch set up.

IT.......WAS..........GROSS
I took no pictures because it wasn't worth the space on my phone. They served us pizza, we assume the same kind they serve down in the Bayliner Diner. They had pepperoni, a meat one, one with quite a few veggies; no plain. Breadsticks and a Caesar salad. The pizza was so absolutely disgusting, the only pizza I've ever had to rival it is the pizza from the BW window (if you've read my dining reports you'll remember my review of this :crazy2:). Cathy and I couldn't eat it. Couldn't do it. So we had a little salad, a few bites of a breadstick as they were dripping with garlic and while I normally love my garlic, not so much 12 lbs. of it on a breadstick. We also each at 3 chocolate chip cookies the size CD's because hey, you don't want us to starve, do you???

After we ate we had a little "classroom" time before a little more park time.

UP NEXT: MY FAVORITE UNIVERSAL SHOW AND DINNER AT CITYWALK

I’m glad your night ended on a good note with all the bad stuff from earlier!
The night really did makeup for the day, it was great!

I so want to try AP!
I've been wanting to try it for awhile :) If my brain is working that will only leave 2 signatures for us to try: Jiko and Flying Fish.

And I love that you interrupted your TR for your plans. I probably need to do this. I was trying to finish my TR (hoping during Spring Break) before sharing our June and Oct plans but I may just need to interrupt it so I can share.
I was hoping to finish up the Feb. part of my trip first but as you can see, I'll be lucky if I finish it before Saturday lol!

Kids are 2 snow days over their limit so now they go to school the day after Easter, and as of right now, 9:22 pm, we have NO SNOW!
We got probably 8" today. No school for the girls today and tomorrow... We have to go shovel us out tomorrow. Blek!!!

I love the slushy machine. It's like high school all over again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter