Where did you get your medic alert bracelet?

ReneeQ

DIS Veteran
I am in the market for a new medic alert bracelet. I've had diabetes for 30+ years (along with some other diagnoses) and have the basic silver bracelet, along with a nicer gold I.D. tag on a very old chain. I'm ashamed to say I don't wear these like I should. But I'm going to be doing a bit of solo traveling in the next few months, and want to get something new and stylish to wear.

I've looked online but everything is either VERY expensive, or not what I'm looking for. I'd like one of the beaded bracelets, with the medic alert "plate" that is engraved on the back. And would LOVE it to be sort of stretchy, where you just put it on and don't have to do a clasp. (I'll be solo so won't have any help, and have arthritis). Has anyone seen anything like that. Most of what I've seen has all sorts of charms hanging on them, which I don't want or need.

Just wondering who you have ordered from, and were you pleased?

Thanks!

I have had the actual Medic Alert bracelet for about ten years. I got it from the Medic Alert people in California over the phone. I NEVER take it off so I do not have to worry about having someone clasp it. I got the gold which is best for diabetics. While I initially thought it was expensive when you figure on the yrs you will get out of it and wear it every day it is cheap insurance that you will be cared for. There is a toll free number on the back and anyone who finds you can call it and a computor will give the operator there your doctors name, phone number all allergies and every condition and medication you are on as well as the names and phone numbers of your famioly/friends you want notified. I love it.... Good luck...:love:

FYI...I bought one of the beaded bracelets directly from Medic Alert's website for my DD8, who is allergic to peanuts and tree nuts. (Don't worry, they are adult-sized, she just wore hers big). She wore it 24-7 not even taking it off to sleep or shower. It was very cute, but NOT stretchy. It had a regular jewelry clasp. It did break after about 9 months, but given that she's a child and never took it off, it lasted longer than I thought it would.

Good luck!

:tinker: DVCDawn

Last year, a fellow cub scout leader had an italian charm medic alert bracelet because she had multiple issues. You can find them on ebay.

I've been meaning to get one, since I'd look like Mr T with all of the things I need to wear the bracelet/necklace for now. I've been carrying a wallet card-it's time to be more visible.

Suzanne

You can also try www.laurenshope.com. A woman I work with is diabetic and I noticed hers the other day. I've put off getting one for myself because I thought they were all ugly, but this site has some great options.

Go to the Medic Alert site www.medicalert.org They not only have a large variety of jewelry, they send wallet cards and have a number that doctors can call to get more info on your medical history. I find this especially important when I travel on my own. They have all my medications (can't fit them all on a bracelet!) and my doctors phone numbers. It is worth it for the piece of mind. I have a bracelet that I do not take off. I also have a nice necklace to wear if I am going out and don't want the bracelet.

Ann

We got DS's on the actual medic alert website. I love that they have children's sizes for him and that you can get something as inexpensive as $10 or as expensive as $600! When he's older and stops growing, he can get one hat costs more than the basis $10 one! LOL You can also update your info at any time online w/o having to change your bracelet's engraving. I keep his wallet card in my wallet since he's only 2 and his account has both our cell numbers as well as our home and 2 doc's numbers.

Hi!
I feel like I have a lot of experience with this topic--my father was a cardiac patient--at the age of 4 (before ADA employment rights) my mother made sure that I could point out dad's medic alert necklace after dialing the local ambulance when she went to work (that happenened twice before I was 6 . . .) Well, as luck would have it, my DS #2 has a heart condition (and is named after my dad?!? Neither condition is known to be hereditary--what are the odds!!!!) Anyway, DH is a jeweler. Unlimited options for DS's medic alertk--Necklaces, bracelets, watches, etc. But we spoke to paramedics . . . they don't tend to "look for" the fancy watches, trendy necklaces, etc. The simpler the better--we went with a simple silver medic alert bracelet (his pacemaker was implanted at 18 months--still a choking/strangling hazard for necklaces). So although trendy/stylish may be good for the "look", will it be effective when really necessary? Our experts didn't think so, so we spent maybe $50 on a sterling bracelet. Just our story . . . Good luck in your decision!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter