• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Where in the DVC world for honeymoon?

Cinderella

DIS Veteran
Well, I just got engaged - and planning to get married next year - possibly October, but I'm flexible.

Anyway, it would make sense to use points, at least towards part of the honeymoon, but where in the DVC world to go. I have done lots of Europe, but nowhere tropical and nowhere in the states but Florida. My initial thought was a few days at WDW, then on to a beach somewhere after, but my fiance has never been to WDW (first visit in December) so unsure he would like it for his honeymoon.

I'm leaning towards Hawaii for a week (using points) and maybe three days in San Francisco and Vegas (to break the long flight from UK to Hawaii up).

I know we will struggle to get Hawaii, and it would be best to keep our options open. Where would be good to go to combine beach with sightseeing? We are looking for somewhere sunny, but want to avoid places that could be hit by hurricane at all costs. I'm flexible on the time of year - anytime from Summer on really. Would be grateful for suggestions.

Hawaii would be wonderful for a honeymoon. If you are thinking of Hawaii, try to get copies of the "Revealed" books on Hawaii. We have the Maui Revealed, Oahu Revealed, Kauai Revealed, and the big island one. They are the best guidebooks on Hawaii out there. They also have a website that shows aerial views of the resorts so you can see just how close they really are to the ocean. The wizardpub site link is below:

http://www.wizardpub.com/main/home.html

Click on which area (Maui Revealed, etc.) at the top of the page and then go to aerial views and then click the area on the map you are interested in. I don't think you can have access to the aerial view and reviews together without a password from the book, but you should be able to view the aerial views without a password.

Our daughter spent her honeymoon at BCV and said it was great. They loved having access to Epcot through the International Gateway. Have you thought of combining a trip to Disney's Vero Beach and Disney? Just an idea. Of course, Hawaii would be wonderful - especially if you have at least two weeks. If your trip is less than two weeks, don't try Hawaii. The time change and travel time is exhausting.

Good luck and congratulations. :flower:

Thanks littlestar - those sound like great options, and i haven't tried vero yet. Does anyone else have other suggestions. We are also thinking of New York, combined with a beach. Are there any nice beaches within driving distance of New York, or would we need to fly somewhere from there? How easy would it be to combine New York with WDW and a Florida Beach?

NY beaches would be a bit chilly in October - FL would be nicer that time of year. JetBlue has very reasonable direct flights from JFK to Orlando. They are also a "Magical Express" airline. Congrats! :flower:

Hawaii would be a wonderful honeymoon, but I do understand your logistical problem. It is a 12 hour flight from Nashville and a 5 hour time change. I guess you would double that for the UK. If you decided on Hawaii, I too recommend the Revealed books, they help us alot.

Vero is a wonderful, stunning beach resort. We spent a 3 days there this spring. It is a beautiful resort right on the beach. It is in a nice quiet town. Perfect for a honeymoon. It is a little over an hours drive from WDW. If you stay on the Atlantic coast, I would definitely consider Vero.

Another DVC beach option is Hilton Head. In October it should still be warm. Maybe not enough to swim in the ocean, but the pools are heated. At Hilton Head there are plenty of activities-- biking, tennis, golf, miniature golf and shopping. Charleston and Savannah are great little day trips. Both of these cities are rich in early American history. Most of the which dates back to the 1800s. (I know this is very new compared to the wonderful UK architecture).

Hotel Del Coronado in San Diego California looks like a really nice place to stay if you are headed to the west coast. It seems so romantic. We haven't stayed there, but I know we hope to add it to a future trip to Los Angeles and Disneyland.

all tropical areas can be and generally are hit by Hurricanes - one goes with the other.

all of Florida, Hawaii and even parts of California are on the list.

can you go in May? - before hurricane season starts....(although there have been hurricanes in May they generally don't get to the US)

hurricane season is June thru Nov 30.

that say Oct is a lovely time to go to WDW - the food/wine festavial plus MNSSHP is happening - both good times for a first timer.

I would stay in VWL - I think it is probably the most romantic of the DVC resorts. but everyone has different taste.

I might just stay in BCV/BWV for easy access to Epcot for the food/wine - then change over to the Polyn (your almost Hawaii, trip only not as far) for your MK stay - MNSSHP.

Dec is also a great time to go to WDW - all the Christmas decorations are up and it is just lovely. even more things to do!!!

I can't think of a place less romantic for a honeymoon than WDW, go to a nice beach in the caribbean, soak up some sun and stare deamily into each other's eyes. :love:

jlmklein said:
I can't think of a place less romantic for a honeymoon than WDW, go to a nice beach in the caribbean, soak up some sun and stare deamily into each other's eyes. :love:

I think you would find thousands upon thousands of people who would disagree with you on that one. In fact, Ive heard the WDW is THE most popular place for honeymoons in the entire world. Is it true? I wouldnt doubt it.

Personally, I think the whole Carribean thing is quite boring (all depends on personal likes of course). I get bored after about 2 hours on a beach. WDW offers so many different entertainment options.

In my view you're both right. Statistically WDW is a HUGE draw for honeymooners. Thats fact. But personally I would never even consider it for a honeymoon. It is a fun and wonderful place but not (at least to me) even slightly romantic. Tropical beach, a cruise, etc. is more my speed.

got married in the wedding chapel at The grand Floridian,
They had an intimate wedding with the two immediate families.
They enjoyed it so much they are back this week for their anniversary.
We all stayed at BWV for the wedding and they honeymooned at SSR the following week.

We honeymooned in WDW at the Grand Floridian 15 years ago. There are many romantic things you could do at Disney. Now that I've been spoiled by DVC accomodations I can't think of a better place to honeymoon! A one bedroom at any of the DVC resorts with the jacuzzi tub. DH wasn't as big a Disney fan as I was before the honeymoon but became a convert.

Add on a couple of days at Vero Beach - it is a beautiful resort!

both have good things.

the beach you and your new spouse can generally find time to be alone. lots of alone time.

at WDW - if you want to be alone you can. If you don't then WDW definitey has alot more to do.

I find them both romantic.

there are some very romantic things to do at WDW. firework cruise, walking along the beach at the Polyn/GF or the BC/yC. see the firework from the bc or polyn (two different fireworks show - mk and epcot).

doing the nightlife at Disney - PI or BW.

and I also agree - a 1-bedroom DVC is just the thing for romance.

My son-in-laws hate the beach and are nervous swimmers. WDW was the perfect honeymoon spot for them. Great restaurants, golfing, beautiful hotels, spas, cruises, etc. It can be very romantic.

Everyone is different on what they like. For some it's a beach, for some it's the mountains, for some it's WDW! :lovestruc

You know I try very hard, to remain neutral in some of these discussions, but just because someone might not consider WDW their ideal location for a honeymoon, many do.

I don't think the remarks about a fellow DISer's choice of user name should have any bearing on that at all and consider the comments to that effect some of the rudest ever.

It is simply, whether you agree or not, Fact!! Many do honeymoon at Disney.

My suggestion to the OP would be a WDW/ Disney cruise. There have been books written about Romance at WDW, so obviously there is a market for it.

Thanks for all your replies on this. I still can't decide! My fiance wants us to choose asap and set a date, but I'm hoping he will wait until December WDW and cruise before making a decision, as he hasn't been on a long haul flight before, and many of the places we're considering are a long long flight away.

Options so far are as follows:

Vegas and Hawaii (have wait listed for an Hawaii exchange for all resorts expect those in Oahu.

Mauritius and Singapore (would be a non DVC trip, which would make it pricey!)

New York and Bermuda.

WDW and either Vero, HH, or another Florida resort.

It is tough to decide and we are now planning for either August, September, or October for the wedding. We haven't even chosen a wedding venue yet!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter