Where the magic lives! An August solo dining adventure! Final thoughts and cost analysis 11/12.

In keeping with my theme of late, I am ridiculously behind :(
I think you've had just a few things to contend with at home......glad to hear Ricky is doing a bit better. He has a great attitude!
I've only seen this once; I wanted to see it last August but the boys put a stop to that lol. I'm debating guilting Steve into seeing it on our Nov. trip!
My boys and DH would have never gone for it either but it is hilarious. So many inside Disney jokes! You would love it and I bet Steve would too.

OMG so does this :cloud9: We went to Victoria Falls back in May before our Boma dinner reservation, so while we really enjoyed our drinks we didn't get anything to eat since we were about to have dinner. Next time I'll have to try this!
This was one of my favourite things to eat all week.....absolutely delicious!

Awesome. Especially awesome how at Disney there is dessert after every meal lol
I know, right??

Great choices at the lounge, the drink looks so good. I agree with the coffee at the Mara, way better then Captain Cook's, the Boma sounds like it had some good and some meh! I love the bread pudding with the vanilla sauce, yummy!
Yes, definitely two wins with Victoria Falls and Boma. The great thing about a buffet is that there is something for everyone. There were so many things I didn't try so I'll definitely have to plan another visit her one day!

After a lovely afternoon enjoying the pool and having fun with some Hidden Mickey hunting around the resort, I was ready for an early dinner before getting ready for my first MNSSHP! I decided to pop by the Mara and went for the Mara Chicken salad. This was huge and delicious with warm, grilled chicken, lentils, chick peas, feta, tomatoes, cucumber and romaine lettuce. I went for a Italian vinaigrette for the dressing. This was a perfect meal before the party as I was planning on basically eating candy ALL night so I thought I should at least try to be a little healthy.
IMG_0985.JPG
I enjoyed sitting out on my balcony, taking in the view and sipping a nice glass of white wine with my salad. Soon it was time to transform into the Blue Fairy and head off to MNSSHP. Here's my favourite photo from that night......
IMG_1198.JPG

Totals for today: Breakfast at Boma $26.63
Chicken salad at the Mara: $10.64
Candy at MNSSHP: FREE
Total: $37.27
Savings vs using DDP: $67.33 - $37.27 = $30.06

Last edited:
I was up bright and early today and made an abrupt change of plans. I had originally planned on hitting Disney Springs this morning and having lunch at the Boathouse before going to MK. However, I felt as though I really hadn't had enough time to properly enjoy Epcot so I headed there instead.

I lucked out with a super fun M&G with Daisy as I was coming into the park. I headed to Soarin' next and walked right on a perfect seat in the first row of theatre B. I was feeling a little peckish by this point so I decided to pop by Sunshine Seasons for a treat. I thought about choosing something healthy until this little beauty caught my eye; the coconut chocolate macaroon. This was treat perfection with yummy chewy coconut set off perfectly by the dark chocolate base and drizzle.
IMG_1048.JPG
I may have dived right in for a taste before remembering to take a picture....lol! It was so good!

Next up, I headed over to the Seas for Turtle Talk with Crush and some time with the manatees. I strolled through Epcot, taking in the sights and decided to pop in to the Pixar Film Festival. This was so fun and I really enjoyed all three short films.

I headed into World Showcase next and decided to stop in France for lunch. I headed into Les Halles for lunch and chose the Ham and Cheese croissant with bechamel sauce after reading @KathyM2 's description of it in her TR. This did not disappoint with tender ham, gruyere cheese and the creamy sauce on a flaky croissant.
IMG_1058.JPG
I was happy to have picked a lighter lunch as a visit to Les Artisans de Glacee was up next. I went for a single scoop of the White Chocolate and Coconut ice cream which was absolutely delicious. Not too sweet and perfectly creamy.
IMG_1059.JPG
Properly fortified, I strolled through World Showcase one last time; taking in all the beauty before heading back to AKL for some pool time.

Love Les Halles...always find the perfect light snack or lunch that makes everyone happy! That croissant looks awesome, might have to put it on our must tries for next trip!

Your lunch at Les Halles looks delicious. I love all things on a croissant. I've never had lunch there, I'll have to stop by

Love Les Halles...always find the perfect light snack or lunch that makes everyone happy! That croissant looks awesome, might have to put it on our must tries for next trip!
The croissant sandwich is delicious and a Disney bargain at $4.25 or a snack credit on the DDP. It's a perfect light lunch.

Your lunch at Les Halles looks delicious. I love all things on a croissant. I've never had lunch there, I'll have to stop by

I think you would really enjoy it. Les Halles has so many great options!

I just got caught up!! Thank you for sharing, can't wait for more!!
Glad to have you along! :)

I wish I had gone with the ham and cheese croissant at Les Halles back in August, I wasn't thrilled with my choice although it wasn't terrible. There's always next time though! And you got my favorite ice cream :cloud9: I Always say I'll try something different but the one time I did I was sorry lol, so now I stick with what I know!

I wish I had gone with the ham and cheese croissant at Les Halles back in August, I wasn't thrilled with my choice although it wasn't terrible. There's always next time though! And you got my favorite ice cream :cloud9: I Always say I'll try something different but the one time I did I was sorry lol, so now I stick with what I know!
It certainly is a great sandwich. I had thought about trying the quiche but was super happy with the croissant. I LOVED the white chocolate and coconut ice cream. I almost went for the salted caramel but I remember someone saying it tasted burnt??? I thought about the macaron ice cream sandwiches too but was really feeling like just plain ice cream.

Where have I been?! Loving this report! :)
Happy you've popped by. Better late than not at all. :)

After another glorious afternoon in the pool at AKL, I headed over to MK to meet up with the oh so lovely @disneyAndi14 (aka Caroline and Andi) We had a short but sweet chat and it was so great to meet them in real life. I had hopes of heading to the Poly that evening for dinner at Kona Island Sushi Bar and drinks/dessert at Tambu Lounge but sadly the weather gods had other ideas. The heavens opened at about 6:00 and while I was making the best of it, as I came off the People Mover I stepped into a puddle well over my ankles and my feet were DRENCHED! So back to AKL for me to try and resuscitate my very soggy feet. After I dried off a bit, I thought I would try my luck at the Cape Town Wine Bar but they were not letting anyone in there without a reservation at Jiko. I guess the rain had made a lot of people cancel their plans as everywhere at AKL was packed. I decided to head down to the Mara for some more of the amazing butternut squash soup.
IMG_1075.JPG
I also went for the Falafel burger which was absolutely delicious and huge! It was topped with cucumber planks, sun dried tomato hummus and a mint yogurt sauce. I chose the couscous salad as my side. I popped this in the fridge to enjoy the next afternoon as a light lunch.
IMG_1074.JPG
I was absolutely stuffed after enjoying the soup and the falafel burger along with a glass of wine. Of course, this did not stop me from sampling the Oreo cookie cheesecake which I had picked up as a consolation dessert for missing out on my original plans. I had intended to just have a little bit but it was so light and scrumptious that I ended up polishing off the whole thing!
IMG_1078.JPG
Perfectly satisfied, I poured myself a second glass of wine and headed out on the balcony to enjoy listening to the animals. Not quite what I had planned, but a lovely evening nonetheless!

Today's totals:
Banana at the Mara: $1.81
Coconut Macaron at Sunshine Seasons: $3.49
Ham and cheese croissant at Les Halles: $4.75
White chocolate coconut ice cream at L'Artisans de Glaces: $4.69
Butternut squash soup at the Mara: $4.19

Falafel burger with couscous salad at the Mara: $10.99
Oreo cookie cheesecake: $4.29

Total: $34.21
Savings vs using the DDP: $69.35 - $34.21 = $35.14

Last edited:
Good choice with the falafel burger. My boyfriend got that and loved it. It's so unique. That oreo cookie cheesecake looks amazing. I love all things oreo, I'm sad I didn't see it when I was there.

Looks like a great evening to me!!!! Love how plans change, but everything turns out as it should be. Wine and savannah views is truly something special.

Your soup looks and sounds divine. I'm a total sucker for all things butternut squash. Glad to hear you enjoyed the cheesecake too. I had that in February and it is definitely surprising how light it is, yet has that cheesecake taste

Good choice with the falafel burger. My boyfriend got that and loved it. It's so unique. That oreo cookie cheesecake looks amazing. I love all things oreo, I'm sad I didn't see it when I was there.
It was excellent! The sundried tomato hummus and the mint yogurt sauce complemented the falafel perfectly as well. The Oreo cheesecake is delish, definitely worth a trip by the Mara next time you have a chance. :)

Looks like a great evening to me!!!! Love how plans change, but everything turns out as it should be. Wine and savannah views is truly something special.

Your soup looks and sounds divine. I'm a total sucker for all things butternut squash. Glad to hear you enjoyed the cheesecake too. I had that in February and it is definitely surprising how light it is, yet has that cheesecake taste
I loved that soup so much! I actually tried it on Thursday evening and loved it so much I went for it again. I'm pretty sure it is the same one they have at Boma. I remember that you had tried the Oreo cheesecake and it was your description that made me try it. Definitely a perfect dessert! I love unexpected plans too, even when things change you can still have a great time in Disney. You must be so excited with your trip coming up quickly!

Joining late, but really enjoying so far. I like your snacking verses meals approach, as this is very similar to myself! Also I love when people include costs in their TRs.

Joining late, but really enjoying so far. I like your snacking verses meals approach, as this is very similar to myself! Also I love when people include costs in their TRs.
Glad to have you along! One of the things I like best on a solo trip is having the flexibility to eat the way I feel every day. When the weather is so hot, I often feel like smaller meals and/or snacks spread through the day. I like to look at costs too, especially since I typically pay OOP. :)

I woke up early on my last park day, super excited to head to MK. As I opened my door I saw the dreaded "Tragical Depress" notice. Why do they make you leave?????
IMG_1079.JPG
I headed down to the Mara to grab some breakfast and was so happy to finally see they had cheese danishes! I don't know what it is about Disney cheese danishes but they really are a whole other level of yumminess. I enjoyed this with my coffee and a banana as I took in the view.
IMG_1080.JPG

Luckily a MK bus was pulling up as I strolled up to the stop and I was soon on my way to the Magic Kingdom. I had so much fun that morning and was ridiculously excited to see Chip and Dale doing a M&G as i entered the park. Of course I hopped right in line for a photo op!
IMG_1200.JPG
I enjoyed a last ride on the Haunted Mansion, took in IASW and enjoyed some Hidden Mickey hunting. Of course all of this fun made me work up an appetite and I decided to go for a Mickey ice cream sandwich.
IMG_1103.JPG
This was cold, creamy and delicious with a nice, soft, chocolatey cookie. Yum! I enjoyed taking in a little more of the wonderful MK atmosphere as I am never ready to leave for the last time. I popped into the Main street Bakery for an iced unsweetened passion tea. This was perfect in the heat and the lovely CM at the till said it was on Mickey as it was my last day in MK. How nice is that!
IMG_1110.JPG
My next stop was the resort launch as I planned to head to the Grand Floridian to pick up a resort pin for my collection. It started raining in the way over on the launch and my hopes for a leisurely beach stroll were dashed. I treated myself to my new pin and a few goodies from Basin White. Next up was a quick trip to the Poly via the monorail and lunch at the Kona Island Sushi Bar. I went for a California Roll along with an unsweetened ice tea.
IMG_1115.JPG
I had heard good things but sadly I've had better California Rolls at my local grocery store. Maybe I was there at an off time but for $14 USD, I was really disappointed. I thought I would drown my sorrows in a piece of Ohana bread pudding at Tambu Lounge but they did not start serving it until 4:30 pm. As I had a date with AK coming up I headed back to AKL for a bit of pool time and hopes of better eats to come.

Attachments

• IMG_1103.JPG
    IMG_1103.JPG
    311.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Sorry your last meal was a bit of a bust, but happy to hear you got some park time in. We did Kona sushi once and I'm with you that it was nothing special. CG definitely has the best in the world, but for future trips Tokyo Dining is pretty good too

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!