Where to go for a one day side trip from Universal?

Yeah. I died laughing every time a knight would get knocked off their horse. They would literally leap off. It was the fakest thing. It was so funny. Then they would die very dramatically, the fog would roll in, and they'd hop up and run off, like you couldn't see them magically coming back to life through the thin layer of fog.

And the sword fights were over the top. Reminded me of highlander when the lighting would come at the end. It was great!

Also, there was this middle age man behind us, and he kept giving his wife this look like "where have you brought me, you crazy woman. These people are all insane!" Watching his reactions was almost worth the price of admission. Especially, when they told him there was no silverware. I think he about came a part.

All the kids seemed to really love it. It was very real to them. You get assigned a knight to cheer for, and there are different colored flags to wave and audience involvement. I wouldn't pay full price, but we got a deal through their website email promotion they do, and it was very reasonable. I think $30 a person. It was definitely worth that, especially when you factor in they are feeding you. I don't think I'd pay more than about $40 though.

I'd say Showcase of Citrus is a half day trip, with drive time, if you had a picnic, did the tour, walked through the groves, and looked around the area. It is 30 minutes from Universal. They have a small country store, open air. You can get free samples of all kinds of foods, fresh orange juice, honey, salsa, etc.

We got a groupon for I think $10 a person to do the truck tour, very informative and fun. They take you all over the property, and you get to feed water buffalo oranges. They ride through swamp water. They tell you about the groves, how to know what is ready to pick. It's not a long tour, but it was a fun ride. The kids on the tour seemed to enjoy it. As adults we found it educational, but not boring. If you do the tour, try one of the first time slots, as the water buffalo get full of the oranges and decide they don't want to eat them anymore on the later tours. Also, save the pick your own for after the tour, so you don't miss out on the tips on picking the tour guide gives.

There is a nice pond, a few different picnic areas, and a number of great photo opp spots, including one of a giant alligator and another with a shark. If you have young children, I could see them, running around and playing for awhile. Elementary age, probably not as long. Just depends on how much time you spend walking around the groves, petting animals, and looking around the store.

The nice thing is that it is completely free to go there. You can picnic or walk the groves for free. You only pay if you want to buy something or do the tour.

http://showcaseofcitrus.com/things-to-do/

We did Crayola factory when we went to gaylord palms for ICE. Kids really enjoyed that. I've done Medieval times many times as a kid, I remember I never liked the food, but the Knights were excellent.

The Pirate Adventure show is good too. Similar to Medieval Times, you get dinner with a show. I've only seen the one here in Anaheim but I know there is one in Orlando and from what I've heard it's the same show. I liked it better than MT which I got a little bored with about half way through.

Exactly, it's the "cheese" factor that makes me say lets do it! and makes him go seriously? no. But our 9 year old would love it.

World of Citrus sounds really fun - how far is it from Universal? Would it be a full day trip or something we could do in an afternoon?
We did the Medieval Times in MD for DS's 9th birthday and he and his friends had a terrific time.

Back to the OP, some day trips we've done:
  • Tampa Airboat ride through Salt Marshes (see dolphins, manatees, catch horse shoe crabs, explore the mangroves, one of our favorite things, great for those who don't care about swamps and gators)
Do you know the name of the Tampa airboat ride company? I've done one in Orlando but didn't know they were available in the Tampa area. Tried Googling it but just kept getting the ones near Orlando (Wild Florida, Boggy Creek etc).

Following along for our trip next week!!! We will be at universal for 10 days and aren't sure how stir crazy we will become!!!

Do you know the name of the Tampa airboat ride company? I've done one in Orlando but didn't know they were available in the Tampa area. Tried Googling it but just kept getting the ones near Orlando (Wild Florida, Boggy Creek etc).

http://www.gulfcoastairboatcharters.com/airboat-tours.html

I've done two salt marsh tours with them this year, and both were great. He goes back in among the mangroves and stops at a few places where you can get out and walk the beaches, take pics, and watch the crabs run around. He will also show you how to catch horse shoe crabs which is one of my favorite parts.

The guy who runs the tours is a really nice guy, friendly, and knowledgeable. He does a good job of taking his cue from the people in the group. Do they want to go fast, do loops, have some thrills, or are they more interested in the ecology and education of the ride. He even stayed out an hour longer for us last time because we were having trouble finding dolphins, and then he wouldn't even let us tip him, since we were repeat customers.

Something to point out, and why you may have had trouble locating him, the address is listed as Largo, FL, but for the salt marsh tours, he leaves from the North side of the causeway in the Tampa Bay, so don't let that confuse you. I'm not sure where the lake / swamp tours leave from. Having lived in both New Orleans and the Everglades, I've reached my quota for life on swamps, gators, and snakes.

http://www.gulfcoastairboatcharters.com/airboat-tours.html

I've done two salt marsh tours with them this year, and both were great. He goes back in among the mangroves and stops at a few places where you can get out and walk the beaches, take pics, and watch the crabs run around. He will also show you how to catch horse shoe crabs which is one of my favorite parts.

The guy who runs the tours is a really nice guy, friendly, and knowledgeable. He does a good job of taking his cue from the people in the group. Do they want to go fast, do loops, have some thrills, or are they more interested in the ecology and education of the ride. He even stayed out an hour longer for us last time because we were having trouble finding dolphins, and then he wouldn't even let us tip him, since we were repeat customers.

Something to point out, and why you may have had trouble locating him, the address is listed as Largo, FL, but for the salt marsh tours, he leaves from the North side of the causeway in the Tampa Bay, so don't let that confuse you. I'm not sure where the lake / swamp tours leave from. Having lived in both New Orleans and the Everglades, I've reached my quota for life on swamps, gators, and snakes.
Great, thanks for all the info. I'll have to check this out on my next trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter