Where to next (completely OT, for the travellers)?

aussiegirls

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

Well we are back from our Nov/Dec Disney adventure. I haven't even had a chance to pop back in here yet to say hi - so, hi :flower3:

Thanks to those that followed along in my blog. I still have some pics to add but I really enjoyed writing it, and now I have my own blog/travel diary to look back on as well as the memories and the photos.

We got back on the 20th of December, and I must say that I wasn't too sure about returning so close to Christmas, but now I think that it was a great idea, and I think future holidays may follow the same pattern. It was great because I didn't have any of the pre Christmas stress because we were away, so when we got back all I had to do was pick up a few lay-by's (which Big W cancelled, but that is another thread LOL) and wrap pressies and it was Christmas already. Also, when I add the 3.5 weeks we were away to the almost 2 weeks work was closed for, it adds up to a really good, long break :thumbsup2

Anyway, my question is for the travellers out there (and I am sure there are a few of you). So, we have done Disneyland twice in 13 months, so at least for the moment it is out of our system. But I still feel the need to plan a trip - I really work better through the year when I have a great holiday to save towards and look forward to.

This time I am thinking of something completely opposite of the Disneyland experience and am leaning towards a tropical paradise. At the moment I am seriously contemplating Bora Bora - has anyone ever been there? It looks spectacular and DD1 busted me looking at photos online and is now also in love with the place. But Bora Bora is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and when we go overseas we really like to stay for at least 2 weeks (less than that doesn't seem like a holiday at all). I know that there are some places that are affordably priced there, so if I decided that I really, truly wanted to go we could probably do it.

Does anyone have any other suggestions as to places to go next? I definately don't want to go to Bali, and probably not Fiji either. So my list at the moment consists of Bora Bora (or maybe another Tahitian island), Hawaii and maybe even Vanuatu. Anyone want to help a girl decide :confused3

xxx

Welcome back Aussiegirls!! I just finished reading your blog yesterday. It has inspired me to do one for my trip in May. Great for looking back on too.

As for other destinations I'm still trying to get my head around planning our trup to the world, but a tropical holiday sounds amazing! Plus I've seen photos of Bora Bora and it is stunning. I can only advise on one place on your list and that's Hawaii. I went there in 07 and it was Fab! We went swimming with dolphins, went to the beach, shopped (It is still the USA and there is a great mall there!!) went on a shark dive, theres snorkelling, luau's, Pearl Harbour, DOLE pineapple plantation where you can get a dole whip! Plus so much more. That is just on Oahu. On the other islands there are volcanoes, more pristine beaches... the list goes on. I found it well priced, getting a great deal with Jetstar for flights and accommodation for a week for less than $1000.

Queenstown new zealand gets my vote
It's the best place in the world
I would live there if I could

And the Aussie dollar is worth $1.34 nz

I'm not sure how much of a family destination Bora Bora is? It's been awhile since I worked in travel, but I seem to remember it being more of a honeymoon destination :confused3 And it's really expensive.

There are some really lovely, family-friendly resorts in Fiji. Vanuatu is nice as well although I've never stayed there, just visited on cruise ships. There's always Mauritius or the Seychelles as well. I haven't been to either but have heard glowing reports. What about the Whitsundays? Hamilton or Daydream Islands are supposed to be really nice and good for kids.

Our next trip is to Disney World, and then on to Mexico - cause it's so close, and we figured - When else would we make it there?

After that, I think the plan is Japan, my DF loves to cook, and is dying to learn about Japanese cooking (plus I'm sure I can wrangle a day or two at Disney there! :rotfl:)

Hi Aussiegrls, and yes, let's catch up on my return from DL (sorry you are at work this week, I hope you are settling back in OK).

My votes go for NZ or Hawaii. NZ I went to when I was 16 and I would love to get back there with my own family. Hawaii - well, I'll tell you in a couple of weeks what I think of it!!! There is such a variety of things to do there, and you could stay on more than 1 island during your trip for different experiences.

If you're looking for a beachy holiday, my vote goes to the Yucatan Peninsula. The beaches there are gorgeous, mexican food is brilliant and the culture..following the Mayan pyramids from Chichen Itza to Uzmal...is amazing.
If you decide to go, make sure you head south of Cancun and visit Xcaret along the Corridor Tourista (great beaches). Xcaret is a fun mexican version of a theme park. But the snorkling through the "underground" cave was fantastic.
This part of Mexico - shopping is about silver jewellery and white linen (highly impractical for a klutz like me).

I'm starting to cast an eye towards Europe. With the dollar the way it is, the Euro and Pound exchanges are looking good. I'm thinking Spain (beaches), Loire Valley (castles...well, okay the wine is pretty good too) and possibly knocking over another Disney castle in Paris. DH wants to add Ireland to the list :goodvibes. I better start printing more money :rolleyes1

I have to put a vote in for Hawaii :love: ... any of the islands would be wonderful! We have not been there for 10+ years, but pre-kids we visited Oahu, Hawaii, Maui and Kauai and loved them all. This year we will be staying in Kona (on the big island) at a lovely beach house with our entire family. Not only are we looking forward to it, but our kids (DD10, DD7, DS5) are very excited too (lagoon, turtles, horse riding in the Waimea Valley ... what more could they want?:lmao:). In the past I have found Hawaii to be more affordable that Tahiti, with a variety of activities available. That said, if you decide on Bora Bora, check out Club Med (if it is still there) as I think they have family friendly activities.:goodvibes

I would love to go back to Hawaii and do a cruise around the islands, but last time I checked none of the airlines offered a seat back entertainment system, which is very important to us as we have young kids.

Hi, great to see you back! I absolutely loved your blog and couldn't wait for each new update. Although the last one did leave me feeling emotional. Just reading about the end of your holiday and coming home made me feel sad because I knew the exact feelings you had.

At least you are now in the planning stages for a new adventure. I also feel sad at the moment and a little lost because 3 out of the last 4 January's we have been looking forward to and planning Disney trips. Now we don't really have anything for this year. However, I can now say next year we want to go to Hawaii. We have been 3 times and absolutely love it and dearly want to go back next year for our 20th wedding anniversary as we had our honeymoon in Maui.

So I can highly recommend Hawaii to you. (There is also a Disney resort there on the north shore of Oahu which I think is opening very soon. So you could get a little Disney fix if you need one by then, lol!) :goodvibes

Oh Gee - everyone is voting for Hawaii - I'm gonna say try somewhere in the Sth Pacific - such as Samoa, Cook Islands or Solomons. These places all do the hut over the coral reef thing thing and you can have very safe snorkling or scuba. Of course, these places are very relaxed and kiddies are warmly welcomed. Can I do a referral on this board? have a look at Hideaway Holidays website.

DD and I went on a South Pacific cruise in December and spent a day in Vanuatu - not sure it is a place that is worthy of a 2 week holiday.

What about Rarotonga? A lot of my NZ friends go there for holidays and just love it.

A cruise? Then you get to go to numerous places and even better there is no cooking or cleaning.

Hawaii gets my vote out of your choices.
In particular Maui, since we had a week at the Westin Villas there and ended up with much less time for the beach and pools than expected with all the activities, shopping, drives etc. so 10 days would be perfect.
As mentioned briefly, Disney will open a brand new resort on Oahu this September and it looks fantastic, 4 days should be enough. Probably best to book it as a DVC rental.
The big island would be next on my list, you can do a day trip or stay a few days.

Hi everyone - this is my first post!

We took our two children (then aged 18 months and 3) to Vanuatu in 2009. To be honest we wouldn't go back. We loved our trip (beautiful weather and swimming every day) but unless you stay at one of the luxury resorts the food is very basic and expensive and it is hard to get around the island with kids.

It is still very much a developing country so little things like almost no footpaths (so have to walk on the edge of the road in many places which made me nervous with two littlies), very little fresh fruit and vegetable variety (and all very $$) and not many shopping opportunities (other than real cheapie shops). Things that I need to make a great holiday:)

A friend has taken her kids to Vanuatu and to Fiji and she said Fiji was much more polished and a more enjoyable family vacation.

Good luck with you decision, reading this thread I think I want to go to Hawaii too:)

Hmm - might have to tack on a few days on the way home from WDW?

Check out some of the P&O cruises out of Auckland to the islands - they do some super cheap deals for families - I've never sailed P&O but I know people that have an have had a good time.

Hawaii is fabulous! If you want to link in Disney again, wait until the Disney resort Aulani opens ;)

My next trip is to DL in July and then I'm off to Northern India in November.

Fiji is good and has some cheap deals - it really depends if you want to be stuck in a resort or want to actually see something - I personally don't like being stuck in one place so a cruise is a better option for me - the lifestyle of a resort (with meals included) and a different view every day...

Thanks so much guys for all your suggestions. Sugarglider, thank you so much for that website - it is great :thumbsup2

Ehsmum, I think you are right that Bora Bora might be a honeymoon destination but I have decided that life is too short really LOL. If I wait to go until am going on a honeymoon I may very well be waiting forever.

Anyway, thanks all, I definately have some great ideas to ponder.

xxx

P.S. For those that have been to (or live in NZ), what is there to do there on holiday? As far as I am aware it is great for those people that are looking for high energy holidays eg; sports and thrills etc. Is there much there for us non sporting, non thrillseeker types, or is it just like here?

I adore Hawaii...
Suits pretty much everyone's wants and needs.
You can relax or you can hike.
There are all sorts of things to see and they can be accessed by hiking or driving usually.

If you like tropical nothing beats our OWN country or Hawaii.

Thanks so much guys for all your suggestions. Sugarglider, thank you so much for that website - it is great :thumbsup2

Ehsmum, I think you are right that Bora Bora might be a honeymoon destination but I have decided that life is too short really LOL. If I wait to go until am going on a honeymoon I may very well be waiting forever.

Anyway, thanks all, I definately have some great ideas to ponder.

xxx

P.S. For those that have been to (or live in NZ), what is there to do there on holiday? As far as I am aware it is great for those people that are looking for high energy holidays eg; sports and thrills etc. Is there much there for us non sporting, non thrillseeker types, or is it just like here?

Oh for sure, you don't need to be on your honeymoon, I'm more thinking about the kids being bored. Club Med is a good suggestion as they are family-friendly.

I've been to the North Island of NZ a few times and it is beautiful. I was there for work each time so didn't really get into the touristy things but I'm sure others can give you some advice.

Hi,

I know you might already have made your decision, but I just thought I would throw my 2c in.

We have done Hawaii, NZ and French Polynesia (including Bora Bora) and loved them all. It really depends what you want out of your trip and your budget.

In Hawaii, I would really recommend taking a cruise with NCL. It's a great way to visit all the islands and get a taste for each one. You can always add a week on the end on the island of your choice. Obviously, Hawaii is a beach location, but our favourite aspect was seeing all the volcanos, lava tubes etc.

NZ is definitely the place to go for beautiful scenery. You don't have to love adventure sports (we certainly don't) but there are lots of stunning places to see. If you go in summer and head up to somewhere around Paihia, you can certainly have some beach time too.

As for French Polynesia...wow! We love it! Bora Bora is definitely a honeymooner's spot, but there are plenty of other islands to visit. We stayed 2 nights in Papette. There isn't a lot to do there, although we did take a nice tour through the centre of the island. We then went on a cruise. It wasn't a big cruise ship...in fact there were only 12 guests but it was a fabulous way to get around the islands and have some amazing experiences. We went snorkeling, had breakfast sitting in the water, picniced on tiny islands most tourists don't visit and much more. We also stayed in an overwater bungalow on Morea and it was one of the best experiences of my life. It doesn't have the reputation of Bora Bora, but I think there is a lot more to do there. It also seems a lot more family friendly.

Anyway, just some thoughts. If I can help with anything, please let me know.

Jen :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter