Where to stay, where to stay...

twinsouvenirs

Mother of Dragons :)
Here I am, less than a week from the 7 mo mark on our booking window and I still have no idea where we should stay. I have no idea if I should weight location, spaciousness, newness or amenities the most highly. My family is no help :) We have for sure 2 pairs of adults and will have twin 2.5 yr olds and a 6 mo old.

Luckily, we're booked in a 2 Br Lockoff at SSR so we're set for the trip regardless.

I was originally trying to choose the perfect blend of all these considerations but suddenly most of the point values just started looking the same to me, and every resort looks so fun... we even talked about trying to book BWV yet again; we'd talked about how we're going to try to stay in every DVC resort before repeating but we keep booking BWV. Not really sure if we should plan around MK for the girls or Epcot and DHS for all the adults, we are HUGE world showcase fans. Proximity to easy transport is a huge plus for us because we have so many people and will be coming back for naps midday.

Maybe it will help for me to break out my reservations about each place.

AKV--never stayed there, bus transport only. more remote location. It's a hassle getting the munchkins and all our 'stuff' on the busses.

BLT--never stayed there, concerned that the studio portion of the lockoff will be too small for my parents, points are pricey, close to MK but not near Epcot or DHS.

BCV--never stayed there, location & transportation good but seems like a waste of a BCV trip if it's too cold in Jan for Stormalong Bay. Older, not close to MK

BWV--have stayed here twice now, older, not close to MK

GFV--have stayed here, points are pricey, not close to Epcot & DHS

OKW--never stayed there, older, bus transport only, more remote location.

SSR--have stayed here once, older, bus transport only, not close to parks.

VWL--never stayed there, older, transport is slow/bus transport only to most places, not close to Epcot & DHS

Obviously we like ALL the resorts from what we've seen or we would not have bought in. We will be doing some of the runDisney stuff on Thurs and Fri, but since it's marathon weekend I understand all the resorts are treated like host hotels, and even though the 5k goes through Epcot I am told you can't really walk to it, you still have to take the busses.

My mom cares a lot about space and newness; we care about space and price and location... and, well, all of it...

I am sort of just talking out loud hoping it will all sort itself out, but input would be very very welcome. Also, obviously a lot will already be booked, but I'm not waitlist averse. So far I've had good luck with adding one day at GVF and switching to BWV from AKV for Star Wars Weekends.

Does Mom always travel with you? How long is your next stay?

:earsboy: Bill

Personally, I would go with BLT. With the monorail connections, I do not think that BLT is too far from Epcot.

I think you mention another adult couple could join you, and BLT does have dedicated 2 bedrooms, with the 2 queen beds in the second bedroom. BLT has 3 bathrooms, it is close to MK. It's what I would choose.

Would you consider a split stay? assuming your trip is more than a few days. If so, you can do a MK resort and then an Epcot one. We prefer to get MK out of the way for the kids, then the adults get a vacation.

Also, my kids LOVE Disney Jr Live at DHS. Even my little one loved it when she was 6mo.

BCV is also great because it's a very short walk to Epcot, and shorter boat ride than BWV to DHS.

If you spend more time in the room, I'd consider the 2bd at OKW. I looked at the sqft yesterday, couldn't believe how much bigger it is.

-this will be the first time we bring my parents with us

-I don't mind split stays but my husband has vetoed them. However, I might be able to persuade him for a longer split stay--the one we did that burned him out was two nights in each place. Since we have 6 nights scheduled, it is possible we could split it out with a few nights at an MK resort and then a few at an Epcot one... I just worry about packing everyone up, etc, and how to do naps on the switcheroo day. I can also add a night if we're staying partially at a lower price point like BWV, SSR or OKW

-The spaciousness of OKW is pretty tempting. My DH said after this last trip in a studio "we should try to get the most spacious room we can" for the Jan trip. We're both a little nervous about spending so much time in close proximity to my parents :) Me, because I have and I know what it is like... and him, because he hasn't and he doesn't ;)

-BLT is tempting, because it is so new and my husband really wants to try it. It's not my style but perhaps I should refocus there. The only problem is that I think we'd need a standard or lake view to be able to 'afford' it. The three bathrooms thing is REALLY appealing as both my husband and father tend to camp out for 45 minutes and then warn people not to approach for another 30.

As far as BLT goes, the Lake View is the view most likely to be available at 7 months.

Whatever you decide upon, I think you will enjoy!

Bobbi:)

Personally, I would go with BLT. With the monorail connections, I do not think that BLT is too far from Epcot.

I think you mention another adult couple could join you, and BLT does have dedicated 2 bedrooms, with the 2 queen beds in the second bedroom. BLT has 3 bathrooms, it is close to MK. It's what I would choose.

I second this. The BLT dedicated 2 bedrooms are really spacious.

I would stick with the places you have NOT been to yet.
AKV--never stayed there, bus transport only. more remote location. It's a hassle getting the munchkins and all our 'stuff' on the busses.
Honestly, you have the bus issue no matter where you stay. I happen to love AKV because of the feeling of "getting away from it all". Plus, it has animals and Kidani has one of the best splash pools on property.

BLT--never stayed there, concerned that the studio portion of the lockoff will be too small for my parents, points are pricey, close to MK but not near Epcot or DHS.
We stayed in a studio and it was perfectly fine. Yes, it is smaller than other studios but it should be OK for 2 people.

BCV--never stayed there, location & transportation good but seems like a waste of a BCV trip if it's too cold in Jan for Stormalong Bay. Older, not close to MK
Personally, I would save BCV until later and your kids are older can more enjoy the pool.

OKW--never stayed there, older, bus transport only, more remote location.
OKW has wonderful HUGE 1 bedrooms and (mostly) beautiful park like views.

VWL--never stayed there, older, transport is slow/bus transport only to most places, not close to Epcot & DHS
I think this is another resort which will be better when your kids are older.

So, I would order the resorts for your needs:

AKV
BLT
OKW
VWL
BCV

-this will be the first time we bring my parents with us.

Just a warning not to book the best places with family guests. We booked VGF last fall, now MIL only wants to stay there for all her Disney trips... I'm not about to shell out that much money or points just for her :rolleyes1

A side note on BLT - the sliding doors were a hazard for my kids. It's bad enough they like to slam regular doors, but it's worse with them pushing the sliding ones or both kids trying to move it in different directions.

-this will be the first time we bring my parents with us

-I don't mind split stays but my husband has vetoed them. However, I might be able to persuade him for a longer split stay--the one we did that burned him out was two nights in each place. Since we have 6 nights scheduled, it is possible we could split it out with a few nights at an MK resort and then a few at an Epcot one... I just worry about packing everyone up, etc, and how to do naps on the switcheroo day. I can also add a night if we're staying partially at a lower price point like BWV, SSR or OKW

-The spaciousness of OKW is pretty tempting. My DH said after this last trip in a studio "we should try to get the most spacious room we can" for the Jan trip. We're both a little nervous about spending so much time in close proximity to my parents :) Me, because I have and I know what it is like... and him, because he hasn't and he doesn't ;)

-BLT is tempting, because it is so new and my husband really wants to try it. It's not my style but perhaps I should refocus there. The only problem is that I think we'd need a standard or lake view to be able to 'afford' it. The three bathrooms thing is REALLY appealing as both my husband and father tend to camp out for 45 minutes and then warn people not to approach for another 30.

Here's my thoughts:

You will stay at all DVC resorts many times over so don't let your excitement make your decision on where to stay.

You will have extra adult help on this trip so do AKV, either a split or the whole stay. You may never stay at AKV again.

As you stay at each resort, make a pro/con list and keep for future reference, then after you have stayed at all of the resorts you can focus on your favorite and you list will help you remember why.

You don't need to visit every park every stay, they will be the same park next time. Pick a resort based on your park focus for that vacation, (this trip MK, next trip Epcot/DHS).

Pick the resort based on help available, this trip AKV because you have 4 adults and you will probably hit 3 or 4 parks. Next trip BLT, 2 adults, next to MK, monorail to Epcot.

:earsboy: Bill

You have 3 small children. I would pick BLT (and budget points for a lake view) if you can get it. We have young twins as well and for us it's the easiest. We spend a lot of time in MK and the walkway is so nice. Never a wait, it doesn't break down, never have to fold a stroller. So easy. Also the monorail to Epcot is a bonus.

My second choice would actually be AK Kidani. While it's bus transportation only it is new and spacious. We have foundt he buses here to be excellent and with kidani being the first pick up in the mornings you will have a seat.

Where I wouldn't go is OKw. Like the resort but most buildings don't have an elevator and stairs, small kids, and strollers is no fun for us.

I would choose BLT for the location. The walk to MK is amazing. Plus the monorail to EP is easy. I think its a beautiful resort as well.

We own AKV, and have stayed SSR and BLT.

My advice is stay BLT this time. It's very convenient for MK, monorail resorts for dining and Epcot too. It actually has become my DHs favorite for the convenience. He'd rather stay BLT than GFV, because "you don't even have to get on the monorail" (ugh, sometimes I just don't get him......lol)

Do AKV when the kids are older and will enjoy the resort activities and animal viewing as well. Also the bus rides don't seem as bad when the kids are 14, 11 and 8. As opposed to my lil guy who just turned 3. :)

Mentioned all your points to DH... he repeated his split stay veto but seems really excited about BLT... He thinks AKV will be better in a few years when the kids are all self-propelled and listen to basic directional commands... and can appreciate the animals.

You guys are awesome!

We have tried all of the WDW DVC resorts except for the new VGF. I am with your DH. 6 nights is not enough time to do a split stay. I would only consider doing a split if we were going for 2 weeks. I DESPISE packing. That is such a time waster.

We stayed at BLT LV studio only once. We chose it for a spring break trip becuz of the monorail (knowing that the entire world would be packed to capacity that week). It turned out to be a great decision. Yes, the studios are smaller in general BUT the views, easy access to anywhere you want to go and the larger kitchenette area are bonuses. Although we had a LV we managed to snag a villa on the outter north side where we could also see the MK. Our first night we got in it was getting late - nearly 9:00. We grabbed food from the CS place at the Contemporary (I forget the name now) and we brought it back up to our villa and ate it on the balcony while watching Wishes. It was awesome and really made us feel like vacation had started even tho it was too late to really DO anything. We also watched Wishes from the rooftop lounge one night too. The monorail was packed a lot of the time so we did walk "home" a few times which was nice to have the option. On our last day / night I wanted some pool time and also I had to pack so DH & DS went over to MK while I did my thing. Then I went over later when I was done packing and met up with them at like 9:00 and we stayed until closing. That monorail was ultra convenient for that. I WILL SAY that that the one thing we HATED about BLT was the dinky over crowded pool. We ended up going over to the Contemporary which was sooo much nicer. It was 3x the size and there was actually personal space between the lounge chairs. The BLT pool is a lifeguard's nightmare and full of swim diapers. It had to be THE most unenjoyable pool I've ever been to ever. It is really a shame that they didn't allow for a bigger space there for that. Very poor planning IMO.

We stayed at VWL on a winter trip (long weekend over MLK weekend one January). GREAT place for the winter with all the fireplaces. GREAT ambiance and FUN for the kiddos to eat at Whispering Canyon. The studios there are also a good size - they have 2 nice size closets and a really large kitchenette area. It is one of our fav. resorts. We have not had great luck on pool weather for January trips so I wouldn't make the pool a priority concern for winter trips. We did go to the pool once on that VWL trip but ended up pretty much staying in the hot tub the whole time. Save making your resort choice based on the pool for a summer trip when you will likely use it more.

AKV - we really like Jambo House and just stayed there this past January over MLK weekend. (NO pool time once again as it was 50's-60's during the day and 40ish at night - but my cousin was there for the Marathon week and she did have better weather than we had and was able to hit the pool. January weather can be really fickle - again I say, don't base your choice on the pool for a January trip.) The animals at AKV and the food at the Mara and Boma make it one of our favs - it's also really reasonable on the point chart. AKV and SSR are the only resorts we have repeated so far. We tried Kidani once but didn't like the layout for the studios - the kitchenette is smaller than in Jambo House and the bathroom is sort of funky. In Jambo the tub/shower is in with the toilet and the sink / vanity area is outside. In Kidani studios there is a door into the bathroom and in this first room is the sink / vanity AND the tub / shower. Then there is a "water closet" room that contains JUST the toilet. We thought the Jambo bathroom was more practical because the sink area was out in the open and not in with the tub. The kitchenette area at Kidani is so small if almost feels like it was an afterthought. Hated it. It doesn't even have a bar sink. It has a small basin that isn't even big enough (deep enough) to rinse the coffee pot out in. The overall location of AKV does not bother me. It's actually pretty close to everything except MK. Jambo house has a bigger, more impressive lobby (Kidani is understated and IMO underwhelming) so Jambo would def. make a good impression on Mom (as would VWL)!! :thumbsup2

We LOVED BCV but I would save that for a summer trip because it does have THE BEST pool. BWV is also nice but you've already stayed there so I would definitely skip it and try something new. We like SSR fine too. It's our home resort and we liked the Grandstand area there better than the Congress Park/Paddock area. When we stay at SSR we find we spend more time visiting DTD because it's so convenient. That always helps make the trip a little different. We are not fans of OKW but haven't stayed there since it was refurbed. We had a loooonnnnggg walk when we stayed there and our unit was in sore need of maintenance. We were in the furthest bldg. from the bus stop in our section and the main pool was a good 10 min. walk. It was August and the walk was hot. The buses also drove us crazy there. They were really slow and inconsistent. The worst of any trip we've had. I suppose we'll repeat OKW one day but I'm in no particular hurry to go back and we haven't been there since 2007.

If I were you I'd pick VWL or AKV for a winter trip and would take whichever one was available. They are both beautiful and the rich wood and decor is really pretty and comforting for a winter trip. I would put BLT in 3rd place only because it is a points hog compared to the others. Good luck planning!

When my son was younger & also prior to us owning DVC, we would only stay in a monorail resort. Too much hassle with buses, folding strollers, and we spent most of our time at MK. BLT also gives you boat access to wl & fw & all monorail resorts. Walking to Mk and watching fireworks or boat parade at resort are plus. I am not a fan of cr and haven't stayed at BLT yet but would still choose it hands down when traveling with younger kids

Just to chime in on OKW...

While it's true there's no direct transport to the parks, we found that even being limited to busses was great due to the central location. Everything was a short trip (10-15 minutes), to say nothing of the extra space, peace and quiet after long park days.

Ordering food from Garden Grocer or a similar service saves money, which works out well since CS is very limited. The lovely boat ride to DTD will also net some of the best CS in the World at Earl of Sandwich or Wolfgang Puck.

BLT would be a good choice for transport alone, with monorail right there, MK in walking distance. OKW is great if you need to save pts. and it is very peaceful and relaxing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter