Wherein We Answer the Question: Does a Six Year Old Find the Med Magical? - COMPLETE!

Joining in....great trip so far!!

We are booked in a norwegian/Iceland cruise next summe with our DDs, who will be 4 and 7, so excited to follow your experience with your DD!

Thanks for reading. I really want to go to Iceland. I hope you'll share your experiences!

Wondering what were some of the different types of mojitos? I like getting a regular mojito when I go out to eat. I've seen different types of ones that have different types of fruit in them(usually raspberries or blueberries), but didn't know if there are other ways of making them besides adding different types of fruit to them. We saw Junnk on the Wonder last March, they were really good. I also like the AP show with the changes in colors on the Magic/Wonder. I think the Crush show is OK, but it's one of those that once you've seen it, there's really no reason to see it again. The Magic/Wonder one is worth seeing over and over.

We had a traditional one, a pomegranate one, a caipirinha, one with a flovored rum, one with vodka and soda, and a mint julep. It was fun to talk about the liquors and traditions of the drinks.

I could also see the color change show lots of times. It's so great.

I wanted to chime in and tell you how much I am enjoying your trip report! Well done!

(I'm the person on another thread to whom you kindly provided details on your Barcelona rental.) :)

really enjoying your trip report and all the great pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
we'll either arrive on thursday or friday for our sunday cruise (next july)..
if i can manage it, i'll try for friday, but usually the friday flight prices are higher so we shall see..
it will be a trade off between the cost of the extra day in the hotel and the differential cost of 9 airplane tickets (yikes)....

Pompeii Archeological Site

We booked a private tour for Pompeii using a company that specializes in tours for kids.

https://italytoursforkids.com/pompeiitourforkids.html

We were scheduled to meet our driver at 8:30. We ordered room service for breakfast: cereal for DD, croissant and coffee for me, and some fruit.

00EBDDE9-07F2-4A6D-BE9A-37C104CDD13A.jpeg

Then we were off. I made sure I packed our cooling towels and water.

Our driver was waiting right outside the gates with a sign. Super easy. DD was a little tired, so she rested on the drive. To be fair, after seeing Vesuvius, there wasn't much to see since Naples is very industrial.

D7CDB34A-A9E2-4618-805C-C5FA60A5C5FA.jpeg

When we arrived by the ruins, we stopped to buy a bottle of wine that our driver kept for us during our tour. We met our guide and got in line for tickets. The ticket windows weren't open yet so we had to wait a bit. Not bad though. DD had to wait in the line though so the ticket seller could see she was really a kid who got in for free. She was really good about it though.

89A4F00E-5D3B-406B-A4EC-A1BDA332BF40.jpeg

Then we started our tour. We started by talking about Pompeii's history, economy, etc.

7583B519-3487-420E-ABA0-BFDDF95CAFB2.jpeg

We also talked about the previous volcanic eruption as well as how long it took archeologists to even find Pompeii.

Then we headed into the main area. The city is huge! Looking at the map, you could see why it would take weeks to really see everything.

Out first stop was the Pompeii coliseum.

DE100406-8585-47FD-8D7F-4317BC845DFB.jpeg

We also saw the cells where gladiators were kept.

Then we went to the smaller amphitheatre.

646B7795-7A42-4F18-88F3-D1A55B19ED3B.jpeg

In there, we played with the accoustics. Our guide showed DD how to clap and hear the sound echo back. Once she learned this, it became a regular practice for the rest of our trip.

Then we moved to the main theater. The number of people who could sit in that theater is one way that archeologists estimate the population of Pompeii. Since the seats were numbered, they had a pretty good guess.

E8D37AA3-8346-4767-94E7-06E805295B10.jpeg

The space for each seat was tiny. Apparently Romans were very small.

We exited the top of the theater and started walking through the actual town.

DCEE09A1-C8FC-47C9-8B0F-EEFE73D5EABE.jpeg

I'm not going to share pictures of every little thing, but it was so fascinating. We learned how to tell the difference between a business and a house. We saw a variety of businesses including a lunch counter type restaurant and a laundry (they cleaned clothes with urine!) We also saw old political posters and a section of the ruins currently being excavated!

It was funny for our guide to show us grafitti on the walls though. Teenagers, it seems, have been the same throughout time.
F9D29907-1269-4150-8F8F-0D536C42A1E0.jpeg

My decision for breakfast was a problem here. Cereal just was not enough for DD and her hunger combined with the heat to create a small metldown.

There are also dogs in Pompeii. We were told not to let them, but they were clearly comfortable and well fed.

3E0BC65F-0B4E-4E44-860E-C0926BE88A50.jpeg

Next up: Pompeii, Naples, and back on board

I wanted to chime in and tell you how much I am enjoying your trip report! Well done!

(I'm the person on another thread to whom you kindly provided details on your Barcelona rental.) :)

I'm so glad you're enjoying it. Thanks for reading!

really enjoying your trip report and all the great pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
we'll either arrive on thursday or friday for our sunday cruise (next july)..
if i can manage it, i'll try for friday, but usually the friday flight prices are higher so we shall see..
it will be a trade off between the cost of the extra day in the hotel and the differential cost of 9 airplane tickets (yikes)....

That's the kind of math we did to fly out of Chicago. Yes a hotel cost money, but the difference in airfare was so substantial!

Great report.

The Magic is my favorite ship.

I do really enjoy the classic ships. Next year we have the Magic in March and the Fantasy in June. It will be interesting to compare them so close and without super port intensive cruises.

Really enjoying your trip report - sounds like a wonderful time was had by all. Where did you get your nail decals - really nice. I got some from Etsy for our cruises this past May - can always add more to the collection.

More Pompeii, Naples, and Pool Time

I forgot to say that, in the amphitheatre, our guide showed us where the women and slaves would have sat. I think this was the first time DD had really thought about what it would mean if women didn't have the same access to theaters and such. The look on her face when she heard that women weren't allowed at some shows and had to sit way at the top for others!

After seeing so much cool architecture and learning about life in Pompeii, we headed to the spa where we saw the first cast of a victim. Our guide did a great job of explaining the process in a way that was understandable and age appropriate for DD.

After the spa, we went to the main forum. It was a beautiful space!

263F014B-A6BD-44D3-AC9C-C59F93AD70EB.jpeg

This was also where lots of artifacts and several casts were kept.

A7F5A334-07DC-49D9-8913-0436973BEAD2.jpeg

I took pictures of lots of things but for some reason posting pictures of the casts feels strange to me. They are clearly available all over the internet, but especially the baby just brought home what a tragedy this was.

After a long, hot morning, we headed away from the ruins and into the shopping area.

1AD4252F-5665-48BC-8D83-BB37A6528966.jpeg

DD showed an amazing ability to locate the frozen treats.

B51255B1-AE98-499A-AF31-45EBAC3CFC56.jpeg

Overall this was a great tour for us. The guide was so knowledgeable about the ruins AND did an amazing job engaging DD. She had scavenger hunts at various places and prizes for DD along the way. Heck, DD still remembers the dates of the eruptions! One of the prizes was this cool volcano candy. I didn't get to try one but how neat that she had that to help engage her.

Our driver then returned and we made the 40 minute drive to Naples. He drove us by the port and then to an authentic pizza place. He did that so we were clear how to get back. Lol. There were two pizza places right across the street from one another that he said were both really good. Unfortunately, one was closed so the line at l'Antiqua was long.

DD was hot and hungry, so she and I walked back to the ship while my parents stayed and got pizza. The wall was easy and we got back in no time.

8FAB00D1-28F1-4650-AB36-98FFC3979054.jpeg

Let me say how amazing the air conditioning felt when we boarded! The forecast had been for mid 80's. It was actually over 90!

DD remembered that Miguel, our assistant server from Alaska, was working lunch in Lumiere's today, so we headed there. No lie, we were the only people in the restaurant. Miguel had a coloring contest with her, Alix (our assistant server from embarkation lunch) gave me a recommendation for Cannes, DD got personalized magic tricks from others. It was quite a remarkable experience and the best lunch I think I've ever had on board. I ended up getting crepes for dessert. Mmmmmm. I'll seek those out in the future.

My parents got back while we were finishing up and they had brought back a pizza! The choices were cheese or no cheese, and the restaurant owners said it was no good to take cheese to go. DD and I had it as a pre-show snack and it was amazing. No cheese needed!

25E69CBE-F7AD-4CC4-9BCF-077C2E37DF6C.jpeg

After lunch, we headed up for some pool time. Once again, we were the only people around. I'm not kidding. The lifeguard just walked up and down the side of the pool as DD swam. I was in there too, but he was following her. She and I also rode the Twist n Spout. So fun! I didn't realize how fast it went so I laid down the first time. Woah. Not too fast, but faster than I expected.

Characters were also scheduled today. It was fun to see them on deck.

BA961DD3-4B2B-449E-96B1-FF98899BA95F.jpeg

85FB6D90-1BCB-4F98-9988-CBDBE24B03B5.jpeg

After a while, it was time for DD and my parents to take their naps. While they rested, I headed to.Cove Cafe for a boozy coffee and some journaling.

7CF91538-DBF8-4FC3-AF1C-4768D806B000.jpeg

Next up: A Rapunzel Evening

Our driver was waiting right outside the gates with a sign. Super easy. DD was a little tired, so she rested on the drive. To be fair, after seeing Vesuvius, there wasn't much to see since Naples is very industrial.

d7cdb34a-a9e2-4618-805c-c5fa60a5c5fa-jpeg.340202
Yeah that's what I've heard. We had a foreign exchange student one summer from Naples (and we're still in contact with her). I do want to visit to see Pompeii though!

I forgot to say that, in the amphitheatre, our guide showed us where the women and slaves would have sat. I think this was the first time DD had really thought about what it would mean if women didn't have the same access to theaters and such. The look on her face when she heard that women weren't allowed at some shows and had to sit way at the top for others!
I think it's good that she's recognizing injustice at a young age!

It seems your tour was perfect for your family! And having the ship to yourself - another plus!

Out first stop was the Pompeii coliseum.

de100406-8585-47fd-8d7f-4317bc845dfb-jpeg.340199
I love Pompeii, it's one of my favorite places to visit I've been there twice. This is really cool, I didn't get to go to this area the last time I was there because it was being renovated and the first time we just wanted around on our own and didn't end up there.

Aw what a cute puppy. There are so many dogs there. The first time I went we saw this dog walking around holding a humongous rock in it's mouth, larger than it's head. He seemed so happy walking around letting people pet him and having his pet rock.

Mt. Vesuvius looks so ominous in the background.

Sounds like a great day! It's one of my favorite stops on a Mediterranean cruise

A Rapunzel Evening

After spending a relaxing afternoon on board, it was time to get ready for the show and dinner. Tonight we were seeing Tangled and eating in Rapunzel's restaurant!

Before the show, we wanted to make sure we saw the big man himself. While DD had taken photos with him already on this trip, she hadn't gotten an autograph yet.

While we waited in line, Goofy and Pluto put on a dance show in the atrium.

B41FE99E-12D7-401B-A17E-1CAE234B18F4.jpeg

At one point, this little boy thought Pluto's tail was fascinating. I love that I caught the dad sprinting towards him before he pulled too hard.

DB17CDB7-9045-4847-8C4B-724424C8E029.jpeg

Then Mickey arrived! DD was second in line and she wanted to make sure he saw his dog being so silly.

202CED73-10F3-4FF2-ACAF-44395D22065D.jpeg

There was lots of calling and waving. Then Pluto did some tricks on command. It was awesome!

D62BA1E4-BAAB-4738-9745-B926FC361D51.jpeg

She's still grinning from the great interaction.

Then we were off to the show.

4CC83B59-8469-421D-9FFD-6BEABCE2FC42.jpeg

We really enjoyed it and DD loved the lanterns. Disney did an amazing job with this one.

Next it was off to Rapunzel's birthday celebration.

The thugs were goofing around as we entered.

43CF519B-EEF1-438D-8CCD-93432C91D7DF.jpeg

D8552799-913F-431D-B539-DD1501862390.jpeg

C0F86A5C-2BCB-4AB2-B085-5A08A53D2409.jpeg

Dinner was good, but the day caught up to DD. Before dessert, I took her back to the room. I asked my parents to bring something up for me when they finished. I got DD in her jammies and settled in bed to watch part of a movie when there was a knock at the door. Ignacio brought my dessert so I didn't have to wait! Those gentlemen work so hard and I know it was a challenge for him to make time to come up to bring me that.

Before long, DD was out cold. I knew I needed to get some sleep too because the next day would be long. It was our day in Rome!

So I scooted over our sexy towel bunny (seriously it looks like a 70's racy magazine shoot!) and headed to bed.

E2CCCD0F-28D2-4D32-828C-AB4063679D55.jpeg

Next up: The first Rome post. I'm sure there will be several.

Really enjoying your trip report - sounds like a wonderful time was had by all. Where did you get your nail decals - really nice. I got some from Etsy for our cruises this past May - can always add more to the collection.

Thanks! I'll send you a PM with the info.

Fantastic updates! I'm still following along. Your DD is adorable. :goodvibes

Awww. Thank you. We like her. Lol.

I think it's good that she's recognizing injustice at a young age!

It's so hard to know what to say when, but yes, we do try to make her aware. It's also why we put a priority on travel.

Mt. Vesuvius looks so ominous in the background.

Right?!?

"70's racy magazine shoot" OMG, now that you mentioned it, it totally does, that's hilarious!! I may never look at any of the towel animals in the same way, LOL!!
I so want to sail on the Magic again, the only time we've been on her is way back in 2001, it was our first cruise. I love the movie Tangle and really want to see the show and eat in the restaurant. I think I will HAVE to book our 2020 winter cruise on the Magic. I kept meaning to tell you I love the Minnie dress your dd had on for your embark. day. My dd is 10 yrs old and has declared she is too "cool" for any Minnie clothing,:sad1:
You're the second person that has posted about bringing pizza back to the ship. Do European ports let you bring anything back on? I've only sailed from PC and Vancouver. I'd have so much food I'd want to bring back!!

Travel to Rome and the Colosseum

Before leaving, we had decided tgat DD was too young for a full day of old buildings in Rome. While she had done great on our half day tours in Barcelona and Pompeii, we felt good about our decision. So, my dad and I were heading to Rome and my mom and DD were spending the day on the ship.

We had an 8:00 pickup time scheduled with Rome In Limo.
https://www.romeinlimo.com/
We had booked the Rome and Catacombs tour. My parents had been to Rome before so I was really the driver of the itenerary. They offered the Rome and Vatican tour, but I just didn't have a lot of interest in the Vatican. All the descriptions were insanely crowded. Plus, I knew I'd be seeing plenty of other Catholic churches (we aren't Catholic.) Finally, because we aren't Catholic, the Vatican doesn't hold extra religious significance. I decided we'd see more of Rome if we skipped the Vatican. I did think the catacombs sounded interesting and my dad had never seen them.

I set my alarm for 6:30 so I could get dressed. Dad and I had agreed to meet in Cabanas for breakfast around 7:15. DD sleepily said goodbye to me and my mom brought her book in the room as I headed upstairs. Dad was still getting ready. Ha! I had learned from the day before and I had a good breakfast today: mainly protein with some carbs (eggs, musleix, and fruit.) It was perfect and lasted me well.

Then we headed off the ship. Before leaving, Rome In Limo had told us they would be waiting right outside the ship, but then Darren had been using lots of scare tactics before the show the night before saying that no private excursions could get close to the ship and we'd have to walk a long way or take a shuttle to meet them outside the port area. This was definitely not true. Enrico was waiting just past the security booth. Super easy.

2DEF2F70-F8FC-421B-A65A-5895CD048B2C.jpeg

I took a photo from where we met him. Notice you can still see the gangway.

We got in the car and started our drive. Getting out of the port area was super interesting. Lots of fishing boats were getting ready for the day and we saw fishermen repairing nets by hand.

As we drove we discussed our plans for the day. Enrico wanted to know our priorities. Mine was to see ancient sites and Dad's was to see some new things. While the Catacombs sounded interesting, neither of us were so set on them that we would be upset if another part of our day ran long. Enrico was great with this plan.

The traffic heading to Rome wasn't built, but as we approached the tourist areas, it definitely slowed down.

The first thing we saw were the original walls. Very cool.
78CE18E4-084C-44E7-8FD8-178DA5AE7428.jpeg

Our first stop was the Colosseum.

F4748B42-4627-42D4-8735-746528EDA87F.jpeg

Hello crowds! This is where Enrico dropped us off. We agreed to meet back in 30 minutes. Tons of guides were around trying to get people to sign up for tours. We also saw our first DCL excursion. They were wearing their stickers and had on the headphones to listen to the guide.

When we got around to the other side, we could see the HUGE line to get inside. I'd be interested to do the underground tour some day, but for my first time in Rome, I'm glad we kept our schedule more flexible.

C5C01736-A82D-444C-AB48-E508E370A278.jpeg

You cab see the line here and how crowded it is inside.

403C8208-8942-405A-ABAF-C18B8DB4E829.jpeg

I had a fish eye I played with a little bit. So all those rounded spaces used to be filled with paintings or mosaics. As the Catholic Church gained power, they stole all of them but the empty spaces remain.

We also opted not to go in the forum, but we did get some nice views and photos by walking up the hill to the church in the area.

1C3C31F1-BE7E-4085-AAD6-73F9B333C405.jpeg

B3AE4783-06BD-452C-B893-F1003B17B000.jpeg

75B380C2-891D-4D64-8758-2E17C4D49B42.jpeg

The walk up the hill was really nice.

We headed back to meet up with Enrico. He had bottles of water waiting for us.

4A636C96-637A-4D15-905B-1E64B65517FA.jpeg

As we drove, we got a view of Nero's palace.

F4C0BE89-0758-4C36-89E7-AAA13EF70370.jpeg

Photo limit reached

Next up - More Rome

darn, was hoping to read how your DD did on a full day of Rome lol.
I still have tons of time but I honestly REALLY want to go inside the Colosseum and I'm worried that we'll waste hours in line even with 'skip the line' tickets. Sigh.

Private Tour Perks

After visiting the Colosseum, Enrico wanted to let us see some things that we wouldn’t get to experience had we booked a big tour so he took us to Aventine Way also known as Embassy row. First, we stopped at a little park which my iPhone tells me was the Orange Garden at Piazza Fiorenzo Fiorentini.

C10EF42F-C99F-46EF-8853-205ED53DEDFB.jpeg

We walked along a charming gravel path until we came to a big terrace. From there we could see the whole city!

F285A860-51CC-4C7E-ABDC-D2D839906F68.jpeg

613D6C77-8ABB-4AA6-BE24-11542E7560D0.jpeg

It was spectacular.

Then we drove a bit further and stopped at this big Green door. Enrico told us to look through the keyhole. All I can say is wow! I couldn't get a photo, but the view was even more amazing than at the park.

D4AB94CA-B798-41F8-8E5D-3794C425D386.jpeg

A7129742-E285-4C80-81E5-DC8FD773FD6A.jpeg

We learned that, when looking through the key hole, you were essentially in 4 countries: Italy, you could see the Vatican, and you were right by a solider barracks that was independent and another embassy (India I think.)

I found a cool website with more information and that has a picture of what we saw.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/the-aventine-keyhole-rome

After that we drove to Capitoline Hill. Let’s be clear, the climb up the hill is on graded steps and solid footing, but it is steep. I don’t know that my mom could do it. At the very least, she would have had to take a break.

A8C73674-0F21-42A2-8266-0B887A251A29.jpeg

We saw several people struggling.

However, it was soooo worth it!

C93C0FA1-1C25-4400-ADC5-5A8BC753B830.jpeg

There are two staircases down to the views. We decided to come up and see what the other side looked like too.

2A3AF8DB-67FD-4F01-AA9E-7702C12A4536.jpeg

That’s the forum! I couldn’t believe how close we got. It was amazing.

We came back and headed down the hill to meet Enrico. There’s a museum at the top of Capitoline Hill but we didn’t go in. Even in the plaza there were lots of HUGE marble statues. If I had unlimited time, it would have been cool to look inside.

Next we drove by the National Monument to celebrate a unified Italy. This is where the eternal flame is for the Italian Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Romans themselves really dislike the building and say it looks best when standing on the roof. Ha!

18675433-C670-4B81-8CE1-785A6D742C17.jpeg

We also saw the Palace of Venice. Before Rome was unified (see above), each state had its own palace. This particular palace was used often by Mussolini and he gave speeches from this balcony.

1096958B-E638-4A68-BFA2-05DE6CE59C5F.jpeg

And that’s my photo limit.

Next Up: More Rome

darn, was hoping to read how your DD did on a full day of Rome lol.
I still have tons of time but I honestly REALLY want to go inside the Colosseum and I'm worried that we'll waste hours in line even with 'skip the line' tickets. Sigh.
So here’s the thing, I think she would have been ok the way we did it (private car, self directed.) However, we would never have seen as much if she came. Selfishly, I’m glad I got a whole day of amazing sightseeing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!