Which breakfast? Kona, Chef Mickey's or Whispering Canyon?

Mickey18girl

Earning My Ears
Hi all! I'm undecided about where to eat breakfast and my top options are narrowed down to Kona, Chef Mickey's and Whispering Canyon based on reservation availability. Anyone have any thoughts/preferences? Note I am NOT getting Tonga Toast. The plus of Kona is vising the Poly. Whispering Canyon is a bit far away, and seems some people recently enjoyed Chef Mickey's food but I'll also be dining alone, so unsure how that works family style. Thanks!

Last edited:
Not sure where you are staying and your mode of transportation. If driving, Whispering Canyon shouldn't be much farther from contemporary--those resorts are so close to one another that in the pre-Covid times they actually shared buses a lot of the time. I'd probably vote that as solo as the CM interactions are entertaining. If you are on the monorail and would rather stay there, I'd vote Chef Mickey's. While the Poly is lovely in general, Kona's ambiance leaves a lot to be desired, and the menu is so limited now--Chef Mickey's gives you the fun of watching the monorail go by and a variety of food to try.

We ate at Chef Mickeys, Kona and GFC last week when we stayed at the Contemporary. Out first CM experience was great with a great server. Our second left much to be desired. I’m not sure if they changed how they served but instead of a longer relaxing meal they brought all our food at once and it wasn’t as pleasurable. The food was still great but it felt rushed. It was our first trip to Kona for breakfast and we absolutely loved it. I feel like it depends if you want traditional breakfast (Chef Mickey) or something a little different (Kona). We also enjoyed GFC too. Can’t go wrong with any of them IMO.

I'm staying at the Swan.... so will be a Lyft ride, just Wilderness Lodge feels more isolated! Thanks for tips!

Hi all! I'm undecided about where to eat breakfast and my top options are narrowed down to Kona, Chef Mickey's and Whispering Canyon based on reservation availability. Anyone have any thoughts/preferences? Note I am NOT getting Tonga Toast. The plus of Kona is vising the Poly. Whispering Canyon is a bit far away, and seems some people recently enjoyed Chef Mickey's food but I'll also be dining alone, so unsure how that works family style. Thanks!

We ate at Kona for dinner and their bench seating is not well distanced in our opinion so keep that in mind. We did have breakfast at Whispering Canyon and it was excellent but if it's out of your way you may not find it worth it.

We are having a similar conversation in our house but added The Wave to the list, since we love it. Ultimately I think we're opting for Chef Mickey's... breakfast food is pretty standard IMO (though each might have a more unique dish on their menu, we generally choose similar items for breakfast when it comes down to it).

My choice is based on the restaurant itself as I'm pretty anti-indoor dining right now. I've heard from several people that Kona is not doing well at distancing. Wave and Whispering Canyon are decent sized spaces but Chef Mickey's is basically 10+ stories high in regards to circulation and reports coming out are that tables are extremely spread out. It feels much safer than the other options.

If you aren't concerned about indoor dining, I'd just choose a spot that has a dish you think looks appetizing. We have enjoyed breakfast at all of them in the past (and I would definitely look at The Wave, too!). Bonus if the choice is easy to get to/from whatever park you'll be at (one reason The Wave is a plus for us - love walking to MK afterwards!).

We are having a similar conversation in our house but added The Wave to the list, since we love it. Ultimately I think we're opting for Chef Mickey's... breakfast food is pretty standard IMO (though each might have a more unique dish on their menu, we generally choose similar items for breakfast when it comes down to it).

My choice is based on the restaurant itself as I'm pretty anti-indoor dining right now. I've heard from several people that Kona is not doing well at distancing. Wave and Whispering Canyon are decent sized spaces but Chef Mickey's is basically 10+ stories high in regards to circulation and reports coming out are that tables are extremely spread out. It feels much safer than the other options.

Thanks! That was my thought as well that if I am going to eat indoors, it should be a really open space, we all know The Contemporary basically air conditions the outdoors as plenty of air comes in around the monorail!

I'm staying at the Swan.... so will be a Lyft ride, just Wilderness Lodge feels more isolated! Thanks for tips!
From the Swan via Lyft WL is actually slightly shorter than Poly. Not by any significant distance though. The Contemporary would be slightly further but again not significantly.

Try the outdoor seating at trattoria al forno on the boardwalk. Very decent breakfast

but I'll also be dining alone, so unsure how that works family style. Thanks!

They might bring slightly less food, but it works the same way. I have done both ‘Ohana and Garden Grill solo and I know ‘Ohana I had a smaller pan brought out. Garden Grill I think was the regular sized one, but I am not sure. At any rate, it works the same as for a group - they bring it, if you want more of anything you can ask for it, if you don’t eat it all, no big deal.

‘This!

chef mickeys is terrible

I ended up eating at Chef Mickey's. The food just so-so, but really like the atmosphere and would not have felt as safe eating indoors at Whispering Canyon... less enclosed spaces in The Contemporary where the restaurant is located. Plus, I could walk to Magic Kingdom and get on resort boats. I've seen the geyser before, so no need to do so again, plus was blazing hot out.

Kona.

DFB just did a review that included an update about Chef Mickey's. They are actually recommending Chef Mickey's for price and now that it is Family Style vs. Buffet they felt the food quality was better. They also commented that the restaurant was great for distancing.

I've also read that Kona is bad for spacing ( which is unfortunate because this is one of my favorites ) but I think it's just because of the limitation of the space.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter