Which Disney next???

Snickals

Australian Princess...in Training
Hi all!
So we have been to WDW several times now and LOVE it, I could happily go there for the rest of my life lol But I would also like to broaden out and explore the other Disney's around the world. Would love to see them all one day, but budget (if I'm lucky) only allows one at a time...so am at a loss as to which Disney we should explore next? Would love to hear others opinions... I am guessing Hong Kong is the closest but would that also make it the cheapest from here? I have become a pro at booking WDW but am at a complete loss with the others and don't know where to start, I have looked for package deals but haven't got far. Anyway...which disney would you recommend we 'must see' see?

Good on you for wanting to experience something a bit different :thumbsup2

Each park has its own charm and character. I'm a big sucker for DLR, but that's mainly because of Walt's presence there. I just find it so sweet and charming :goodvibes DLP is a very beautiful and well thought out park, and Paris is just a short train ride away. I haven't been to Tokyo, but I'm very interested in TDS - it looks amazing!

Hong Kong is the only one I wouldn't bother to make a special trip for. It is also a beautiful park with the mountains as a backdrop, and has some great features. But there is no denying that, even with the new lands, it is small (especially if you're used to WDW). Since it's small, and also because of its location, it makes an ideal stopover :thumbsup2

And then of course there's Shanghai.

I would personally use location as a deciding factor. Have you always wanted to go to Europe? Are you interested in Asia? Would you like to explore the west coast in the US? The other parks aren't quite as immersive as WDW, so I usually plan my Disney trips as part of a broader holiday.

Please try not to compare the other parks to WDW, but view each one as unique and special in its own way. That is especially true of the international parks. They have a different vibe because it's a different culture, and that's all part of the fun of experiencing the parks around the world :goodvibes

We've only been to WDW years ago, and Disneyland twice in the last 3 years.
I think if you haven't been to Disneyland, it's a must. It has so much history and it just 'feels' so wonderful.
Airfares to LAX are pretty reasonable. I'm paying the same for my airfares to Bali this year as I paid to LA last year. If you're not going school holidays, it's really pretty good. So much to do in LA area too.

Disneyland next; especially if you haven't been there before.

I would love a trip to the Tokyo Disneyland; but I'm kinda not sure with the nuclear plant still spewing out radiation.

I went to Hong Kong; and tacked on Disneyland to my Hong Kong trip. Hong Kong has to be worth a visit for you and if you're there, then add Disney to it; NOT the other way round. I totally agree with Zanzibar on that one. But there is just enough there to satisfy that Disney itch. Just. But it is charming in it's own way.
(Naturally, I did write a TR. Shameless plug for you to click the link below. And BTW - Zanzibar has also written up HKDL a couple of times in that section of the boards.)

Spain is on my hitlist. I will tack on Paris DL to that trip. I gather that this is probably the right way to plan for Paris DL; similar to HK.

ps. How is that gorgeous baby girl of yours going? I expect she's thriving and growing like a weed. Hope you're enjoying the parenting journey. :flower3:

I can't really comment since I've only been to 2 of them, but I agree with others about adding them to a bigger holiday that encompasses the surrounding area.

I love everything about Europe and can't wait for the day I can afford to go back for a white Xmas. So the Paris one would probably be my choice.

Alternatively, have you considered a Disney cruise? I cruised on the Fantasy and it has all the charm and magic of the parks. In fact for all 3 of my family, it was better than WDW (even though we did love WDW).
Plus it has the nursery (for your little one) and the amazing kids clubs meaning that you and your partner get to have precious time as a couple. Mmmmm...Palo....
I can't recommend it enough.

I enjoyed HK Disneyland, regardless of its size - I enjoyed HK on its own as a holiday destination. Its fabulous for shopping and great food, any food you like, its a real international destination. I described Disneyland as the cherry on top. The flagship hotel is beautiful - The Hong Kong Disneyland Hotel, the garden maze is 'amazing' :rotfl:Its a wonderful feel being there. I've also stay at the Disney Hollywood Hotel in HK too - very nice also! I'm keen to return for a 3rd trip hopefully some day soon!

Tokyo DL if finances and radiation aren't a concern would be my suggestion :)

Have you been to Europe? Do you want to go to Europe? Have you been to Asia? Do you want to go to Asia? DO you want something different to USA?

HK DL with little little ones is great, it's so small, it's not overwhelming and is doable for the shortest legs. HKDL for adults/teenagers doesn't offer much (I went in 2008, so lands have been added, but their lands are teeny tiny! so I still don't expect it to be a full day park, unless their are very short legs involved)

Anaheim is ridiculously easy with no food/language issues, beyond what you get in WDW anyway, and DCA is different to WDW.

DLP is great if you want to go to Europe, but it's too far to warrant being the main reason for a trip, it's really only 1.5 parks rather than 2 parks. If you're going to go that far, I'd say stick to Florida, unless you want to see more of Europe.

Tokyo but I am not up to date with latest on the nuclear front. Why - its close, go when you can nab one of the great deals from the Gold Coast airport if you are a SE Qldr, DisneySea is amazingly beautiful and the shows are excellent, Disneyland has lots of favourites and great to see a Japanese take on it, food if you eat local-style is fantastic and good value and there are lots of other cultural and scenic experiences as add-ons - and its a lot cheaper than committing to a European trip unless you plan a biggie and then include DLP.

I'd say Disneyland it's our favourite park and so easy to navigate, we are heading to DLP next they have a buy 2 nights get 2 free deal but we were already heading that way for our cruise I'm not sure I could justify the cost of going to Europe just for Disney says the lady who has 25 days of her time away on a Disney ship or in parks :rotfl2:

Wow thank you so much for all the wonderful replies!!! Have loved reading through them all :)
I have been looking for a while now at doing a Disney cruise but I feel if I do that then I would also like to add WDW trip onto it as well. I have always wanted to explore USA and would love to include Disneyland into that (lil secret - before my first WDW trip I didn't even know WDW existed, shame I know, and my dream was always to just visit Disneyland), loved going to Pennsylvania last year but I think a big USA trip would be a little more costly. Lately I have really had my heart set on HK Disney just because I think the culture would be amazing to experience and I too have been seeing the low airfares...but then the other disney's look amazing too lol I can't decide right now! :rotfl2:

ps. How is that gorgeous baby girl of yours going? I expect she's thriving and growing like a weed. Hope you're enjoying the parenting journey. :flower3:

She's doing good :) Cheeky little 2.5 year old already! She loves her Mickey and Minnie...but we are going through a "minions!" phases atm lol

Anyway...which disney would you recommend we 'must see' see?

I think the international Disney parks are better than the US ones overall. I'll explain why: Disney has the luxury of learning from the things that haven't worked at Disneyland and Magic Kingdom for their newer resorts. With the exception of Tokyo Disneyland Park, I think Hong Kong, Paris, and DisneySea look nicer. I've yet to visit the Asian parks but I am heading later this year to see Tokyo and Hong Kong. I'm exceptionally excited about Hong Kong with the paved Main St and Chinese mountains in the background. You can't compete with that right? I'm an 'atmosphere' person rather than a ride person though. I can spend a long time sitting drinking a coffee on Main St. In fact, I generally do. I don't think Hong Kong would be worth it though as a follow-up to WDW unless you really want to visit Honkas, it would be down the list a little more. If budget comes into play then it may be the most affordable though! That may make your mind up.

However, in saying all this I would suggest that Anaheim would be the best park to follow-up from Walt Disney World. I think this would be good as you experience the foundations of the Disney Parks before moving on to the more modern, and different interpretations of the original design. My preference would be to visit Magic Kingdom, Disneyland Park Anaheim, and Disneyland Parc Paris in that order. Each becoming more and more beautiful. Paris was my first park and it took me a long time to get used to the fact the American parks aren't as beautiful. I had ASSUMED that the US parks would be similar in design to Paris (this was before I knew things). Got into Magic Kingdom and thought "WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?". I really enjoy Disneyland and since my second visit to both MK and DL, MK can't compete. California Adventure is fine. I think it overrated myself but then I don't get that excited about 2nd gates. People look at me oddly because I dislike Epcot. I think Paris should be third on your list :P It is worth a Euro trip JUST for DLP.

People look at me oddly because I dislike Epcot. I think Paris should be third on your list :P It is worth a Euro trip JUST for DLP.

:yay::woohoo::yay::woohoo::yay::woohoo: finally someone who feels the same way about Epcot that we do we never even stepped foot in it last trip and our favourite thing there is the Living with the land that no one else likes :rotfl:

:yay::woohoo::yay::woohoo::yay::woohoo: finally someone who feels the same way about Epcot that we do we never even stepped foot in it last trip and our favourite thing there is the Living with the land that no one else likes :rotfl:

Lol. I didn't dislike the place, but it was definitely my least favourite.
IMO, both Soarin and Test Track were completely overrated. We pulled a Fastpass for Soarin, rode it while the queues were low, then gave our fastpasses away. Once was enough.
We did enjoy the World Showcase part, especially for it's access to food, alcohol, and live entertainment (the rock band in England were really good), but I think the whole area would be more fun if you didn't have kids. Unfortunately that Agent P game doesn't entertain the kids while you're sipping beer in the pub :rotfl:

By the way, Living with the Land was our favourite ride in Epcot also. :)

I went to Paris Disney first and it was terrible. It was in June so it was really hot. and it felt like everything was closed for maintenance or broke down. It was also really busy. And it felt like everything was way over priced (think this was because it was 2006 and the Aussie dollar was like 40 euro cents!). The Sleeping Beauty Castle was amazing though! That was probably the highlight of my day!

But I didn't give up on Disney. Went to WDW in 2011 and loved it! Then a friend wanted to go to Tokyo and HK in 2012. I agreed to go if we could go to both Disneys. Only did Tokyo Sea but it was amazing! The Little Mermaid section was unbelievable. It was very busy but it was just so well done. The detail was amazing. The Little Mermaid show was the best thing my friend had ever seen - they were on wires and had puppets and it was in japanese but it was still amazing.

I enjoyed Hong Kong but my friend didn't. She has been to DL but I haven't. So she was a bit offended by how not into the castmembers were. I didn't notice as all the rides were walk on! But they were on their phones and just not the usual Disney happy staff. But apart from that - it was very quiet and we managed to do just about everything in less than a day. The one thing we didn't do was the Disney Yum Cha - We just didn't get around to it. but the pork buns are shaped like the pig from toy story and other cute characters.

I would probably go back to Hong Kong as a stopover - the city itself was amazing. Did too much shopping! Tokyo also had great shopping but the language barrier is difficult. But the trains are so easy to use it isn't that hard to figure things out! They are also easy to do at the same time!

I'm finally going to DL hopefully this year or early next year. Another friend wants to go and I think we'll go back to WDW as well... fingers crossed!

Hopefully that helps a bit?!

p.s. my signature countdowns have reset from 2011. Need to remove them...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter