Which is less scary, Mummy or Hulk? (Poll for next ride to take my kids on!)

Which ride should the kids do next?

• Total voters

fredandkell

I'd rather be cruising
I have two kids, ages 13 and 10, who are both slightly on the wimpy side when it comes to rides. The younger one has done an upside down ride before, the older hasn't but says she wants to. They have done Hagrid's, Gringotts, and Escape from Hogwarts no problem, although the younger one got a tiny bit freaked out during the whomping willow "almost" inversion. They said they want to try something "a bit bigger" on their next visit to Universal.

With that bit of background, which of those two would be best to try next? One on hand, I hear Hulk is pretty smooth (which is important to me as a 40-something who doesn't want my back jerked around) and doesn't have the "dropping stomach" feeling. On the other hand, Mummy has no inversions, but watching it on YouTube it looks "dark" (not dark, light-wise, but dark, content/theme-wise).

So please vote! Which to take them on next--Mummy or Hulk?

I voted Hulk. You can see the majority of the ride, so it's no surprise when you queue up to ride.
Just let your kiddos know that the 'take off' is intense!

Mummy "feels" like you go upside down during the backwards part of the coaster. That's just my opinion though...

Mummy "feels" like you go upside down during the backwards part of the coaster. That's just my opinion though...
I don't think so.... It's very tame. A lot tamer and slower than Hagrid's. Yes, there's a lack of lighting and there's fire effects, but the ride itself is very tame. Hulk is very intense and fast. I would 100% go with Mummy, no question.

The theming of the Mummy is more intense but Hulk is a more intense coaster. Best bet to see what they’ll like is to try them. They’re not really that similar at all.

Depends on your definition of scary.

Hulk is much more intense - a true coaster. The launch itself is very intense as well.

Mummy is much less coaster intense (comparatively) - but the darkness/spooky themeing/smoke/volume probably makes it feel much more intense than it really is (if the lights were on).

Both are great rides for different reasons.

Keep in mind bribery works with most children :-) ..... just kidding.

Have fun!

I don't think so.... It's very tame. A lot tamer and slower than Hagrid's. Yes, there's a lack of lighting and there's fire effects, but the ride itself is very tame. Hulk is very intense and fast. I would 100% go with Mummy, no question.
Individual perspective...I think it feels like you go upside down. Just my opinion as stated.

Mummy is simply a more fun, unique ride. Even if it has a scary theme, it is more entertaining. Hulk is a good, high thrill roller coaster, the likes of which you can do at any Six Flags. Mummy is much more of a Unuversal-only experience, with more re-ride enjoyment.

Mummy on the first ride is very rough, since it is in the dark and you don't know what is coming. I actually disliked the ride enough that I planned to never ride it again. After reading how many people loved it, I gave it another shot on our next trip and it is now one of our favorite rides at UO (but still behind RRR and Hulk).

Hulk is very intense but you do see what is coming. I would actually take them on RRR before the Hulk.

Always fun to see how everyone's level of tolerate is so different for each different ride. I find Rip Ride Rocket far more scary/thrilling than Hulk. It has a more "open" feeling and moves slowly at high altitude with a slow turn to near vertical drop.

Hulk is enclosed, and high speed at all times. This minimizes the sense of exposure. Like Rock n Roller Coaster, If you close your eyes you might not know when you go upside down. I recommend it for a first timer thrill coaster. Explain to the kids the sensation in your stomach from "pulling g's" they will feel. That they can close their eyes if the visual of being upside down bothers them. And that it will be over in one minute :-)

personally, Rip Ride is my least favorite (i know that wasn't what you asked about but just based on others' opinions) last week when I was there RRR made my head feel like scrambled eggs. Not to mention that climb up is SCARY. the seats are just not conducive to having your head rattled around and i didn't feel secure at all during that uphill climb.

Hulks' launch is the best part imho, then the rest of the coaster is just like any other thrill coaster. unsure what the PP meant by it is enclosed--hulk is entirely outside aside from the launch. so your children will be able to see that you do the corkscrew, loops, etc. but it is a rather smooth coaster. it will probably look very scary to them and just off of personal experience when i was a kid, i probably would've skipped it and chickened out. i was much easier convinced to try rides inside that i couldn't see what was happening--granted my father completely lied to me and told me when i was a child that Rock n Roller Coaster doesn't have a loop...it does.
similar to me wanting to go on Tower of Terror but avoiding Dr. Doom...same ride concept but one is indoors!

Mummy is one of my personal favorites. I think it is fun without being too slow OR too intense. it reminds me of gringotts (the actual coaster part) but just longer. Similar drops, slight twist and turns. And in mummy, the backwards part is fun!
As someone mentioned, if the lights were on in Mummy you would realize it is a very tame ride. But obviously the pitch black makes for an unexpected and more intense feeling.
Similar to Space Mountain, that ride can be jerky and rather intense because you have no idea what is going to happen next. but when the lights are on you realize that your 'drops' are barely drops at all

I vote mummy for less intense. And just FYI I don't personally find Hulk to be smooth at all, in fact I think it is one of the rougher coasters I've ever been on and I live next to a large theme park in the midwest. I think it is very jerky, but I'm also a larger individual and the seats are very tight on me so that may be why it feels rougher. I always come off of it with bruised hips.

I didn't vote because "scary" can take a couple of meanings here, especially in context of your question for your 13 and 10 year olds.

Hulk is definitely the more "intense" ride with it's speed and inversions. But you could perhaps classify Mummy as being more "scary" in terms of it's themes and scenes.

My 11 year old still refuses to ride Mummy because the first time he rode it (I think he was 9 at the time) got freaked out by the Animatronic mummies, scary scenes and darkness of the ride. But he gladly rides The Hulk over and over again.

One on hand, I hear Hulk is pretty smooth (which is important to me as a 40-something who doesn't want my back jerked around) and doesn't have the "dropping stomach" feeling.

Mainly wanted to reply because of this comment, I would not deem Hulk as pretty smooth. I wanted to let you know this, as someone who personally loves roller coasters and for the most part do not have issues with them. Even with heights I just "deal with it" and do not ignore roller coasters simply because they're very high. However, I feel a little rough after going on the Hulk, but your definition of smooth might be different. I do not feel butterflies, or anything like that in my stomach (however loops never bothered me), however, in terms of my head and what not, I don't feel great.

But while we're here, as others stated, with @TommyJK giving a good example of his own experience with his son, yes, "scary" is subjective. In terms of the track itself, Hulk would be more deemed "scary". In terms of the attraction as a whole, The Mummy would be deemed "scary".

The only thing about the Mummy that might make the track possibly "scarier" is the fact that most of the roller coaster parts are extremely dark and makes it unpredictable (also the brief backwards part) which I'm sure amps it up a little bit on it's fear factor (no pun intended). If it was as exposed as The Hulk the track would seem that bad at all (at least compared to other "thrilling" coasters tracks).

So what I meant by smooth was, the fact that you don’t feel like your head is banging around and it doesn’t give you a headache. Is that not the case with Hulk? I am a petite individual and I will ride any ride out there, but the older I have gotten I really dislike those I feel like that are rattling your brain!!

My vote is the Mummy. The height requirement isn't that tall so they will see lots of kids younger than themselves on it, that alone seems to help most preteens/young teens calm their fears.
My daughter tried the Mummy at age 8 and liked it. She wasn't tall enough to ride the Hulk for a few more years, but I don't think she would have tried it at 8 anyway.

So what I meant by smooth was, the fact that you don’t feel like your head is banging around and it doesn’t give you a headache. Is that not the case with Hulk? I am a petite individual and I will ride any ride out there, but the older I have gotten I really dislike those I feel like that are rattling your brain!!

I always have to make sure I keep my head back against the headrest in order to not get a headache on hulk. I do feel it is a "brain rattler" but that may just be me, I don't now. But to give context I usually LOVE roller coasters in general, I especially like big hills and going upside down, but I prefer steel coasters for smoothness and I would not classify Hulk as being smooth in the slightest.

I agree with PPs that it depends on what they're scared of. I would echo that Hulk could be scary if they are afraid of drops, fast movement, and inversions. Mummy could be scary if they are afraid of loud noises, darkness, and horror movie type themes. If its more the ride movement itself, I think Mummy is more tolerable because it has a few points where it stops and starts. The fast rides/hills are in short spurts with theming in between while its stopped. Similar to Gringott's or Forbidden Journey in that regard. This is how I got my mom on Gringott's - I told her if you can handle 10-15 seconds of fast movement at a time, you'll be fine! And she was :)

I also agree with PP that Rip Ride Rockit is the worst of all for me. The ride itself is fine, but getting up that first hill is the worst part. I always feel like I'm sliding backwards in my chair and I hate it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!