which resort for 5 adults and 3 kids?

Mommee

DIS Veteran
Hi! I haven't posted here (except the other day once) in a looong time. So long that it might have been my other screen name!

Anyway, I am planning a trip next February that includes my in-laws. The plan is to use the resale points we're in the process of trying to buy (first contract was taken, have an accepted offer on another though) so I realize we'll be limited in what will be available by the time the points are loaded.

So, keeping that in mind, what is going to work best? We have me and DH, the in-laws, my 18-yr. old son, and three younger (and small for their age) between 13 and 7. We were looking at 2-bedrooms at Boardwalk, but then realized there's a daybed in the studio portion and I'm thinking my 11 and 7 yr. old girls wouldn't be able to share that. I've never stayed there before. Then we started thinking that maybe we'd be better off getting a studio and one bedroom to give the in-laws a bit of space. But they'd have to have some kids with them.

We've mostly stayed SSR, OKW, and BLT. MIL can't really do stairs; can they honor a first floor request at OKW or would it be hit or miss? I have no experience traveling with extended family so I'm not sure what's going to work..

HELP!:flower3::flower3::flower3:

OKW is the only resort that has 2 queen beds in the second bedroom. That will give you three "real" beds plus the sleeper chair. It is also has the most space in the villa. You will have a nice size kitchen table and chairs. It is such a large resort that you will have a good chance of getting a ground floor, or you can request one of the newer buildings that have an elevator.

However, some of the newer resorts have an extra bathroom. You have to decide which is more important for your family. Enjoy your vacation!

The "day bed" in some dedicated studios at BWV are not beds. They are benches with a pad smaller than a crib mattress. Some people may use it as a bed for a very small child, but somone over age 4 probably wouldn't fit. It is probably intended to be a bench to sit on while putting on or taking off your shoes. In a two bedroom you have a king bed in the master bedroom, a sleep sofa in the living room, and then a queen bed and double sleep sofa in the 2nd bedroom.

Denise

Hi! I haven't posted here (except the other day once) in a looong time. So long that it might have been my other screen name!

Anyway, I am planning a trip next February that includes my in-laws. The plan is to use the resale points we're in the process of trying to buy (first contract was taken, have an accepted offer on another though) so I realize we'll be limited in what will be available by the time the points are loaded.

So, keeping that in mind, what is going to work best? We have me and DH, the in-laws, my 18-yr. old son, and three younger (and small for their age) between 13 and 7. We were looking at 2-bedrooms at Boardwalk, but then realized there's a daybed in the studio portion and I'm thinking my 11 and 7 yr. old girls wouldn't be able to share that. I've never stayed there before. Then we started thinking that maybe we'd be better off getting a studio and one bedroom to give the in-laws a bit of space. But they'd have to have some kids with them.

We've mostly stayed SSR, OKW, and BLT. MIL can't really do stairs; can they honor a first floor request at OKW or would it be hit or miss? I have no experience traveling with extended family so I'm not sure what's going to work..

HELP!:flower3::flower3::flower3:

I vote for a 2 bedroom at BLT or AKV. They both have 3 bathrooms. The AKV 2nd bedroom (dedicated) has 2 queen beds in the 2nd bedroom. They both have a sleeper chair in the living room near the sofabed. And both have elevators.

Agree with PP, I'd go with AKV. If you do a 1bd + studio. The living room in the 1bd is big enough that you can fit 1 or 2 twin air mattresses. Of course it might be easier to just book a 2bd. If you get a lock off, then the in-laws can shut the door and have some privacy.

BLT is hit or miss. Our first stay was a room facing MK. It was HUGE! Then last year, we got a room in the inner C, I was very disappointed at how small it felt.

I vote for a 2 bedroom at BLT or AKV. They both have 3 bathrooms. The AKV 2nd bedroom (dedicated) has 2 queen beds in the 2nd bedroom. They both have a sleeper chair in the living room near the sofabed. And both have elevators.

I agree. At AKV only Kidani has the 3 bathrooms, not Jambo. No dedicated 2 bedrooms at Jambo either.

OKW is the only resort that has 2 queen beds in the second bedroom. That will give you three "real" beds plus the sleeper chair. It is also has the most space in the villa. You will have a nice size kitchen table and chairs. It is such a large resort that you will have a good chance of getting a ground floor, or you can request one of the newer buildings that have an elevator.

However, some of the newer resorts have an extra bathroom. You have to decide which is more important for your family. Enjoy your vacation!

AKL Kidani also has 2 queen beds in the 2nd bedroom & the extra bathroom which is great with a large group. The resort is beautiful!!!!!

Im sold with the idea of trying AKV, but I'm having a little trouble convincing my husband of this...(he's the one that's been resistant to staying there). Back When we first bought SSR they had the mock-up room of AKV that we toured and his overwhelming perception was of it being dark and dreary. I need to find an angle to sell him on this!

With your group, this sounds like a time when a Treehouse might make sense.

We are a similar travel party (grandparents, parents, aunt, three young boys) and have stayed in dedicated 2BRs - where 2nd bedroom has 2 queens - at BLT (multiple times, both inner and outer C) and in an OKW 2BR once ... Both worked out well for us.

We usually put the grandparents in the master, the parents and the two youngest kids in the second bedroom, and the aunt (me, the DVC owner) and oldest boy in the living room. Kids too young to be in the living room on their own. Both BLT and OKW have the sleeper couch (which two people can sleep in fairly comfortably if at least one of those people is small) and sleeper chair (which are surprisingly comfy).

While OKW is more spacious, BLT rooms are decently sized. We prefer BLT for its more compact layout, interior corridors and proximity to MK. The third bathroom is nice to have, and in your case, could easily be taken over by the three kids. FWIW, AKV is on our list to try, and we're heading out west to VGC this summer ( again in a 2 BR).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter