Which Resort should we stay in???

STB ON THE BEACH

Mouseketeer
Hi,

We're planning a trip to WDW in Feb. We are bringing my DFIL who is 90 yrs. old. We will bring a wheelchair with us. We have always stayed at the AKL - and I realize that can be a long distance to the room when you are pushing a wheelchair or when the DFIL bladder is very small and weak, thus needing to reach the room immediately. :eek:

Which resort do you recommend to stay in that allows parking (we will probably use our own car instead of Disney's Transportation) right outside the room, and possibly has the food court near by too.

Thanks!

Old Key West has parking right outside the door!! (But no food court...) They do have large rooms with kitchens.

Caribbean Beach, especially rooms 3101 to 3108. There are a couple of HP spaces right at 4 and 5, and they are probably the closest rooms to the Old Port Royale food court.

Otherwise I would suggest the Contemporary Tower. Nothing is really far from the elevators. With an HP tag the valet parking is free.

Another good choice is the Polynesian. The rooms like those at the Contemporary are very large.

If he doesn't need an accessible room, you could request Raratonga which is steps away from the main building and also right by the parking lot. I would explain why you are requesting that building.

If he needs an an accessible room, those are in Rapa Nui which has its own small parking lot right by the building. It is perhaps a 3 minute walk to the GCH which is the main building. But this building is also closest to the TTC if you want to take the monorail to Epcot or the ferry or express monorail to MK.

Supposedly, the counter service spot at the Polynesian will close this month for expansion. During that time rumor has it that there will be a temporary counter service replacement in Tangaroa Terrace building which is between Raratonga and Rap Nui. So either building could be convenient if that info is correct. But it won't be a food court like at the moderates and value resorts. The deluxe and DVC resorts don't really have food courts.

SueOKW said:
Old Key West has parking right outside the door!! (But no food court...) They do have large rooms with kitchens.
I agree with Sue that OKW would be your best bet. You can park right outside your door. Although OKW doesn't have a food court, they do have a sit down restaurant, Olivia's, that serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Also they have a counter service area called Good's to Go and a bar called the Gurgling Suitcase. These are all located in an area called Hospitality House.

I would rent points from a DVC member to stay here to save some money rather than book through Disney. Also, request a room on the ground floor close to Hospitality House. Hopefully you'll get it, but unfortunately there's no guarantees. :sunny:

Make sure to specify that your requests are for medical reasons and check that the confirmation letter says something to that effect.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter