Whispering Canyon Cafe' Review - 8/4/06 visit

GrandFloridian4

Cruising is MAGICal & WONDERful
:) Overall, I liked this restaurant & our meals were very good. After reading a lot of threads before going, I saw that there is some question as to whether or not the waiters/waitresses participate in 'antics' anymore, so I am going to give a complete picture of our visit.

I called for PS for this restaurant in the a.m. & was able to get a 7:20 pm seating time - exactly the time I wanted. We arrived early & checked in at 6:35 p.m., fully expecting to wait until at least 7:20 to be seated, as they told the people ahead of us that there was a 30-35 min. wait. No problem, we sat in the lobby & could hear a lot of 'rowdiness' at the table above us. It was clear that their server was "getting into it". We were only waiting 5 min. & our buzzer went off & they seated us immediately.

It was quite LOUD in the restaurant & basically stayed that way the entire meal. There always seemed to be one or another server doing some type of antic - banging their tray on the floor as they walked to sound like a horse galloping, making a woman ride a pony & sing Happy Birthday to her son as she rode around the room, calling loudly for ketchup & the people at the tables had to run them to another table (happened about 10 times), having everyone yell "Happy Birthday" or something else to someone in the room, etc. It really made it lively & fun, IF you knew it was going to be happening. It was clear that the two older couples at the table next to us didn't know this was going to be the case before they were seated as they looked aggravated the entire time & never participated in anything.

Our particular server, Sergio ("just call me 'Dusty Trails' ") never did any type of antic to/for us or any of his other tables the entire time. I had no problem with this, since I really didn't want him to, anyway - I had hoped to be able to just watch it, not participate in it. I thought at first it was because it was only my DH & I & we sit very close to each other & I figured he thought we just wanted some time alone(!?:rolleyes: ), but then I watched him with the other two tables he had, made up of all types of people - young kids, college age, older adults - but, as I said, he never did anything. The servers around us fully engaged with their tables - & sometimes other tables - the entire time.

'Dusty Trails' was friendly, but made us feel rushed. In fact, I had just taken my fourth bite of salad & my DH had 1/2 of his soup left, when our meals were placed in front of us. And, he wasted no time getting us the bill & having it taken care of immediately (we like that!). We were seated, ate & out of there in 40 minutes.

I had a strawberry-orange smoothie (yum!), salad & the Grilled Chicken Pasta (penne) entree'. My husband had the SW Chicken soup & the meatloaf. He thought both were delicious. I enjoyed all of my meal, also. We thought the portions were sufficient. We were also given cornbread, but I didn't try it & my husband said it was "fine".

We liked this retaurant, but probably wouldn't pick to re-visit it, unless it were to take the kids (teens) just to let them experience it. Basically, that's the reason that we picked it - we had always wanted to try it, felt like going 'dressed down' & knew that it was a fun atmosphere. The food was good, but it is a bit too loud for us normally. Are we getting old???:confused3 :teeth:

Thanks for the great breakdown, We're taking a 14 year old in Sept. And it sounds like the place will REALLY appeal to her! :thumbsup2

GrandFloridian4 said:
:)
Our particular server, Sergio ("just call me 'Dusty Trails' ") never did any type of antic to/for us or any of his other tables the entire time... I watched him with the other two tables he had, made up of all types of people - young kids, college age, older adults - but, as I said, he never did anything. The servers around us fully engaged with their tables - & sometimes other tables - the entire time.

That was our experience in 2002 - a server who was very low-key and not really into the antics - and we were very disappointed. DS wants to try WCC again this trip and I really want it to be rowdy and fun for his sake. I'd even gallop around the room singing Happy Birthday! :eek: :blush: :lovestruc

I wonder if it would help to request a zany server at check-in? Can't hurt, right?

MickeyMonstersMom said:
That was our experience in 2002 - a server who was very low-key and not really into the antics - and we were very disappointed. DS wants to try WCC again this trip and I really want it to be rowdy and fun for his sake. I'd even gallop around the room singing Happy Birthday! :eek: :blush: :lovestruc

I wonder if it would help to request a zany server at check-in? Can't hurt, right?

We requested a fun server when we went to the Prime Time Cafe and it was so much fun! So I would say to request someone who wants to have fun and tell them at the front that you are wanting to particpate in the fun.

I would definitely try again, MickeyMonstersMom. There was SO much going on constantly. And, I think that's a great idea about asking for a server that will be involved, because it appeared to be the same 4 servers who were doing the most with everyone. It's worth the wait for their table if you want that.

Having been to Prime Time many times & getting a fun server, it can make a world of difference, especially if you're on vacation. However, for us last night it was perfect, as we just really enjoyed having it happen around us.(Although my husband would have run around on a pony at anytime:lmao: - he loves that stuff.)

It was so funny. You should have seen that lady! First you hear her saying, "What?! Me?! I have to do this?!" I think she thought her son would have to do it since it was his birthday. But, then, she just got up, got on the pony stick, began galloping around the entire place & singing 'Happy Birthday' real loudly to him. She was red, but she was a trooper!!! I would've died! :blush:

What do they do if you say "no, thanks, I'm not doing that."? You will NEVER find me riding a pony around a restaurant singing. I know, some of you say, well then don't go there to eat. However, I also enjoy watching...not participating. :)

MissMagnolia said:
What do they do if you say "no, thanks, I'm not doing that."? You will NEVER find me riding a pony around a restaurant singing. I know, some of you say, well then don't go there to eat. However, I also enjoy watching...not participating. :)

I don't know, but I had a fear of that happening to me last night & getting more humiliated if they made a big deal out of it. :scared1: We were very fortunate (I thought :rolleyes: ) to get the server we got.

One time when we were in Prime Time Cafe' one of the servers was "giving a hard time" ;) to my son & I thought for sure he'd get upset (he was young at the time), but the server adjusted his ribbing & cajoling to my son & actually got him to do some things that I'd NEVER do!!! :blush:

Actually, last night, I was more afraid that my DH would get involved. ;) They wouldn't have been able to stop him!!! :rotfl:

Thanks for the review. We have an ADR there in Sept. I'm hoping our DDs (6 and 9) will like it and get involved. I'll be sure to ask for a "fun" CM when we check in.

This sounds great, I am taking an 11 year old and was looking for fun dining. Can you tell me how to get to the lodge from the park? Which park did you leave from? We don't have a car so I am also wondering how long it takes to get there from the park by bus and if then you still had time to go back and ride rides. It would be nice to ride until closing and then go eat but it looks like most of the restaurants close at 10. Will we have to give up most of a night of rides to do something like this?
Sorry so many questions!
Connie
August 13-18 2006

Connie, it's easiest to leave from Magic Kingdom and take the boat. Bus service to and from WL is notoriously bad - we waited over an hour in 2002 for the bus to leave. But boats to and from the MK are very efficient - and it's a scenic route! :)

We recently cancelled a reservation for this restaurant because we couldn't fit it in for dinner (forgot about the Not So scary Halloween Party) and we didn't like the lunch menu. I think the kids (7,5,2 and baby) would have gotten a kick out of it though. Maybe next trip!

Wow! Thank you for the detailed post. We'll be staying at WL in December, and every bit of information about the restaurants there makes it a little bit easier to plan our stay.

Thanks again!

My 11 year old niece picked this restaurant for her dining choice. We'll be there Monday for dinner. I'll have to ask for a fun CM also. Thanks for all the great ideas.

We had a wonderful time. The food was great and the entertainment even better. Our CM had every table bring one crayon to our table. She told us that we didn't have enough color choices to color our pictures.

I'm hoping we get a fun server for our visit. We have a 13yo and 2 11yos. I picked this restaurant for the antics and the atmosphere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter