Who all has added on a 25 point contract direct with Disney and with what resort?

To add on, do we need to title it exactly? I am seriously considering adding on 25 points, but instead of titling it as mine and my husbands, putting it under my husband and my mother. My parents are at the point where they may start taking our kids more often without us, so having the benefits would be good for them. But I'm assuming this isn't allowed, so I haven't bothered to call my guide yet to inquire (we bought in 2014, so I am not concerned about the benefits for us, just my parents).

To add on, do we need to title it exactly? I am seriously considering adding on 25 points, but instead of titling it as mine and my husbands, putting it under my husband and my mother. My parents are at the point where they may start taking our kids more often without us, so having the benefits would be good for them. But I'm assuming this isn't allowed, so I haven't bothered to call my guide yet to inquire (we bought in 2014, so I am not concerned about the benefits for us, just my parents).
To add on retail it would have to be titled the same. You could do the add on then change the title, it's retain the same qualified benefits but it that was the only qualified points, anyone being removed would lose the benefits (for others reading). You could add them to your current contract if you're qualified but that creates other issues depending.

Already owned AKL 100 Point December Use Year bought resale.
Just last night bought 25 points OKW direct for only $145 a night, but got all the benefits.

Very excited, bought Platinum Plus Annual Pass for the price of gold today and saved $220/each ticket total of 4
I was beginning to wonder if they would let me add on at a different resort if I wanted to, but as to see you did, I suppose it should be no problem if they have the points.

To add on retail it would have to be titled the same. You could do the add on then change the title, it's retain the same qualified benefits but it that was the only qualified points, anyone being removed would lose the benefits (for others reading). You could add them to your current contract if you're qualified but that creates other issues depending.
I hadn't thought of retitling the contract after buying. That may be the way to go. The reason I would add him and my mother is that all the benefits are for "member and household members." So if my mom is a member and goes with my dad, she can get him the annual pass. So maybe I will buy it as my husband and I, and add my mom on after buying (or both if you can have 4 owners). Thanks for the feedback!

I hadn't thought of retitling the contract after buying. That may be the way to go. The reason I would add him and my mother is that all the benefits are for "member and household members." So if my mom is a member and goes with my dad, she can get him the annual pass. So maybe I will buy it as my husband and I, and add my mom on after buying (or both if you can have 4 owners). Thanks for the feedback!
All of the benefits aren't for household members but some benefits can be used for household members like the pass discount. Normally the member has to be along or it's a hassle at best. You can have 4 owners.

All of the benefits aren't for household members but some benefits can be used for household members like the pass discount. Normally the member has to be along or it's a hassle at best. You can have 4 owners.
Just put my name and husband's name down for our deed. Should I consider adding my adult daughter as well if she were to ever use it without us?

Just put my name and husband's name down for our deed. Should I consider adding my adult daughter as well if she were to ever use it without us?
It depends. We did for our smaller contract but not for our larger one. It creates risks and issues (financial, relational) but it gives options. As a rule it's likely best not to but each situation is different.

True, not all. But the ones I am concerned about like the tickets (which could go away at any time, I know) are. As for the discounts and such, as long as one of my parents can get it that's fine. But since we can have 4 owners, all that doesn't even matter I guess.
I put a call in to my guide tonight so he can call me when he gets in on a Monday. It looks like we will go ahead and get a small contract with my parents on it now while 25 points is an option. I have no concerns putting my parents on the deed - my only sister would be mortified to own a disney Timeshare (I don't know how we are related), so no worries about her trying to ever get her hands on it if they pass away
ETA: I really appreciate your feedback, Dean. I like that I can come on the boards and bounce an idea and someone has an answer or a better idea.

True, not all. But the ones I am concerned about like the tickets (which could go away at any time, I know) are. As for the discounts and such, as long as one of my parents can get it that's fine. But since we can have 4 owners, all that doesn't even matter I guess.
I put a call in to my guide tonight so he can call me when he gets in on a Monday. It looks like we will go ahead and get a small contract with my parents on it now while 25 points is an option. I have no concerns putting my parents on the deed - my only sister would be mortified to own a disney Timeshare (I don't know how we are related), so no worries about her trying to ever get her hands on it if they pass away
ETA: I really appreciate your feedback, Dean. I like that I can come on the boards and bounce an idea and someone has an answer or a better idea.
If your sister is difficult or crazy, that would make it more risky IMO even if she hates Disney and timeshares. But you know the dynamics obviously so you're the one that has to decide. Legally this would be part of your mom's estate if you do put her on so it would have to go through probate and that can force the sale if there is conflict or financial issues. But for 25 pts I wouldn't worry. I assume you're referring to the pass discount and many have had issues when the member wasn't along.

Add ons are supposed to be titled exactly as the first. If you add your parents to the direct contract, they may require you to purchase the minimum for a new contract. If you decide to add them to the title after the fact, there is a fee for doing that of about $500.

Add ons are supposed to be titled exactly as the first. If you add your parents to the direct contract, they may require you to purchase the minimum for a new contract. If you decide to add them to the title after the fact, there is a fee for doing that of about $500.
I was going to do the name change alone - I have read of others doing it for less than $100, but maybe things have changed? It may be a pain to do it by myself, but saving hundreds of dollars would be worth it.

I was going to do the name change alone - I have read of others doing it for less than $100, but maybe things have changed? It may be a pain to do it by myself, but saving hundreds of dollars would be worth it.
Around $40 if you can do a quit claim deed and send it in for recording yourself. Around $175 if you want someone else to do it on the low end (LT transfers).

We ended up adding 25 points at AKL direct a few weeks ago. I was really back and forth on this for a while but decided we would do it. We figured having a few extra points would be nice for any changes at the 7 month window and we were going to upgrade our tickets to AP's this year anyway so the AP discount saved us around $900 bucks which brought down the roughly $4200 cost for the points. We checked out the DVC Epcot lounge a couple of times on our recent trip. That is a nice space. We ended up just using our AP discount most of the time, but if you did not have an AP the DVC discount would be a nice additional benefit.

We got our 25 point AKV June use year today. Left a message for our guide at 1:30. He called back at 2:30. By 2:45 it was all set. Nice and easy! The contract shows on my account already, the points just haven't been loaded in.
As far as adding my parents - the guide was really nice about going over pros and cons. If I bought 50 points we could have just added my parents to the contract. But I only wanted 25, so the guide suggested we change the deed of our current master, and during that process he would just hold onto the closing docs for our add on so everything would be titled the same. He estimated we wouldn't close on the add on until March due to the time it takes to add the names, but in the meantime DVC has our money and we can use our points.
I already filled out the ROFR document and will be faxing it tomorrow. My husband is next to me starting the Warrenty Deed so we aren't scrambling to do it when ROFR comes back. So far the only hitch we hadn't considered is our 2018 dues need to be paid before DVD will change the names (we normally do a monthly automatic payment). But thankfully it's only a minor inconvenience.

We got our 25 point AKV June use year today. Left a message for our guide at 1:30. He called back at 2:30. By 2:45 it was all set. Nice and easy! The contract shows on my account already, the points just haven't been loaded in.
As far as adding my parents - the guide was really nice about going over pros and cons. If I bought 50 points we could have just added my parents to the contract. But I only wanted 25, so the guide suggested we change the deed of our current master, and during that process he would just hold onto the closing docs for our add on so everything would be titled the same. He estimated we wouldn't close on the add on until March due to the time it takes to add the names, but in the meantime DVC has our money and we can use our points.
I already filled out the ROFR document and will be faxing it tomorrow. My husband is next to me starting the Warrenty Deed so we aren't scrambling to do it when ROFR comes back. So far the only hitch we hadn't considered is our 2018 dues need to be paid before DVD will change the names (we normally do a monthly automatic payment). But thankfully it's only a minor inconvenience.

In doing so all your contracts will then become part of your parents assets and estate. Are you certain that makes sense to do?

I'm not sure it's accurate about having to pay the dues up front adding name but it might be. I would put the add on on hold in this situation not just trust that they'll change it during the process. I'd mentioned the possibility of changing your master above but given what you've shared about your sister, are you sure you want to change your master contract making your mom's portion part of her estate? It will be simpler having them all together rather than having two separate master contracts, one with 25 points only.

I'm not sure it's accurate about having to pay the dues up front adding name but it might be. I would put the add on on hold in this situation not just trust that they'll change it during the process. I'd mentioned the possibility of changing your master above but given what you've shared about your sister, are you sure you want to change your master contract making your mom's portion part of her estate? It will be simpler having them all together rather than having two separate master contracts, one with 25 points only.
My sister hates Disney. She goes with us because she gets a free hotel room and gets to see my kids happy. She's a successful accountant with no kids - I have zero worries about her ever trying to get her hands on this. She would never do anything to upset her nieces and nephews (like taking a DVCthat should become theirs) - she happily spends money on my kids and isn't hurting financially at all.

In doing so all your contracts will then become part of your parents assets and estate. Are you certain that makes sense to do?
Yes, we have no concerns about that part. We all discussed it together and are comfortable with all the legal ramifications that may come up.
Dean - you had mentioned retitling the current contract, but I wasn't going to do that because I thought I would have to wait for that to be done to get these points. Once the guide said he could hold all the closing documents until the master is retitled, we decided that was the best way to do it.
Unfortunately I have seen how insane family can be (we've been sued by my in laws), so I am not jaded about how bad things can turn when money is involved. But thankfully my immediate family is a bit less crazy than most

Yes, we have no concerns about that part. We all discussed it together and are comfortable with all the legal ramifications that may come up.
Dean - you had mentioned retitling the current contract, but I wasn't going to do that because I thought I would have to wait for that to be done to get these points. Once the guide said he could hold all the closing documents until the master is retitled, we decided that was the best way to do it.
Unfortunately I have seen how insane family can be (we've been sued by my in laws), so I am not jaded about how bad things can turn when money is involved. But thankfully my immediate family is a bit less crazy than most
Fair enough but realize that things can change. And it's often not the family member in question but their spouse, heirs, etc. It effectively creates a family partnership. But it does sound like the risk is relatively small. While I haven't seen it used, I wonder if a either a Tenancy in Common with the other party holding like 1% or a transfer on death title would be workable in this situation. A Survivorship deed should offer decent protection at death if your mom isn't the last survivor, a Tenancy in Common probably offers more protection while she is living which is hopefully through the end of the RTU. Honestly I don't know how DVC will react to these types of deeds though I doubt it'd be an issue for them. IF you decide to do something different, I'd talk to DVC legal and your attorney before doing so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter