Whose idea was this anyway? Oh yeah, it was mine.

Tygerlilly

DIS Veteran
Hi y'all! Welcome to my first training journal!

I'm Mandi, aka Tygerlilly. I'm a 34 year old married momma to two girls. I recently had a come to Jesus meeting with myself regarding my health and fitness (or lack of). I'm around 50lbs overweight and can barely chase my kids around. This is a drastic change from pre-kiddo days when I played soccer, could run 5 miles for funsies, and eat whatever I wanted. My how times have changed...

Anyway, my brilliant self was like "self, let's run a half marathon for your 35th birthday! Oh, and we can do it while on our 1st anniversary trip in Vegas!" So, here I am, 5ish months out from my first ever half marathon and finally getting my rear in gear.

Some day, I want to do Dopey. I'm loosely crossing my fingers for 2021, but I'm probably more convinced that it will be 2022.

My loose plan is to run 3 days a week: Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday, with longer runs on Saturday since I work on Saturdays and will be up moving around instead of sitting down not keeping loose.

I'm also working my way through starting a new workout program by Fitness Blender called Strength. It's supposed to be a 5 day, 4 week program, but I think I am going to do it on 3 of my non-run days instead.

Anyway, I guess this is just so I can keep a running commentary on how everything is going. Feel free to comment if you want!

Day 1 - Monday May 25th 2020

First day of fitness. I got a solid 2 miles in, the first .8 pushing my girls in the double jogging stroller before it started to rain, so I dumped them off at home and went back out for another 1.2 before the lightning started. I made a conscious effort to keep my nutrition on point and ended the day 212 calories under my daily allowance.

I actually felt really good once I was able to get back out without the stroller. My neighborhood is basically a giant oval and almost a full mile around, so I decided I'll jog the long stretches and walk the short ones. Thursday I think I'll try adding the one random cul-de-sac into it and see if that completes the full mile.

Day 2 - Tuesday May 26th

Today I knocked out a nice 1 mile walk pushing the kids in their stroller. It has been raining here off and on for a couple days, so when a slice of blue sky appeared, we hurried and got a quick lap around the neighborhood done.

After they went to bed, I started Fitness Blender: Strong. Day 1 was a lower body, butt and thigh workout. I'm telling you, for only being 25 mins long, it was rough. Looks like day 2 is arms, and since I need to get on schedule, I'll be doing it tomorrow.

You can definitely do this. Your story is very similar to mine: former athletic type, had two kids, got sedentary and put on a lot of weight. Decided at about age 35 to try training for a half marathon to motivate me to get back in shape. Almost 15 years, 5 marathons, more than a dozen halfs later, I'm still going! I believe getting back into running changed the direction of my life. I'm rooting for you and will be following along! Having a big goal is a great way to get motivated. It's hard with little kids, but you have to prioritize your health and fitness.

Following along! You can do this!

Thank you! I'm sure making one heck of an effort!

You can definitely do this. Your story is very similar to mine: former athletic type, had two kids, got sedentary and put on a lot of weight. Decided at about age 35 to try training for a half marathon to motivate me to get back in shape. Almost 15 years, 5 marathons, more than a dozen halfs later, I'm still going! I believe getting back into running changed the direction of my life. I'm rooting for you and will be following along! Having a big goal is a great way to get motivated. It's hard with little kids, but you have to prioritize your health and fitness.

So glad to hear that! You're absolutely right, you have to prioritize it. I hope I can accomplish even half of what you have! That's amazing!

Hi! Another mom of two girls here. I'm about your age, I'll be 33 in August. I finished my first half three years ago. I guess 30 was my milestone year. Unlike you, I was never athletic, but I can certainly relate! I'm looking forward to reading about your running journey.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!