Why are there so many guests that feel they have to be "line police?'

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlundeen

Mickey Fanatic
On my recent trip right after Thanksgiving, I noticed something that I thought I would just bring out and see if others have seen.

While standing in the security bag check line, the one right next to the "no bags" line at Magic Kingdom, the person behind me, who I did not know, kept a run running conversation about how many people were going through the "no bag" line with bags. He never stopped the whole time I was in line. One person had a stroller with a very tiny bag under in the basket. The CM glanced at it and waved the stroller through. It obviously contained a diaper and that was about it. But the person behind me was just simply outraged that that person was able to go right through.

It's kind of the same thing that happens occasionally when a child in a long standby attraction line has to use the bathroom, a parent takes them, and comes back to their spot in line. Inevitably, someone has to make comments about people cutting into the lines.

What is it about standing in line that makes people feel they need to try to be the "line police?" Do they feel that others are getting something that they should be getting? Do they feel like it's unfair to them to have to wait in line with a huge backpack while a person with a very small wallet sized bag can get through the other line quickly? I don't understand it.

Maybe you have seen this too. What is your experience?

Sure, I've seen it, but it doesn't matter to me. I'm not going to get hot and bothered because someone else is hot and bothered about what they think is line cutting. If it upsets them, that's their choice.

The whole "line cutting" thing can be a very complicated subject. I've seen people leave their party to take a kid to the bathroom...I've done that myself. I've also seen people who are clearly trying to cut in line, or "save" a spot for 12 others.

To play devil's advocate: Why do people complain about people complaining about other people?

My life became much happier when I stopped caring about other people's actions that had no impact on me. Let miserable people be miserable.

Last edited:
Because there are so many guests. If you had to leave the line for a bathroom emergency with a small child, oh, ten years ago, you could have probably been very polite and graciously been offered your spot back by other guests.
However, now that there are easily 20,000 guests at any given time, and we're all being herded like cattle to our next ADR/FP+, and we are all on a tight schedule... that's where decorum falls off the wagon, shall we say. ;)

Because there are so many guests. If you had to leave the line for a bathroom emergency with a small child, oh, ten years ago, you could have probably been very polite and graciously been offered your spot back by other guests.
However, now that there are easily 20,000 guests at any given time, and we're all being herded like cattle to our next ADR/FP+, and we are all on a tight schedule... that's where decorum falls off the wagon, shall we say. ;)

No, 10 years ago people felt the same way about line jumping. I'll leave the untrue cattle herding comment.

Not sure one dude in line behind you rises to "SO MANY". We were there for a week last week and not once did we hear anyone police the line but of course we have heard the occasional rumble from some grumpy-gus in line at some point in our previous visits. Some people just have to comment on everything. Meh.

There were many more instances on our trip of straight up rude people pushing their way through the line or cutting in front others. We just roll with the punches (and make that person the butt of our jokes for the rest of the day).

I don't pay much attention to the no bag line but if I did I ay have been annoyed too.
ALL bags are supposed to be checked and when they aren't you see how its all just security theater.
Heck sometimes my zip ID case is taken out of my bag and opened and then money and cards start falling out.
Why does my wallet have to be inspected when someone in the no bag line has their wallet in their pocket and it doesn't have to be looked through.
Again I try not to worry what is going on with others but if I did I'd be annoyed.

As for the child that needs to go to the bathroom... no issue with that at all. I do throw some glances at those that had half their party leave the line to go get a drink for everyone and squeeze their way back in through everyone.

I don't think I'd be bothered by any of the examples you gave, but I think, in general, ppl get annoyed b/c there are SO many ppl who act entitled & refuse to follow all sorts of rules that can make things harder & cumbersome for all guests. So, it's gets old to watch ppl continue to just do whatever they want with no regard for policy or other guests.

Absolutely agree with PP. I really don't pay much attention to what people are doing but it can be frustrating and I feel bad for cast members. "I know it says no bags but I just have this little bag." "It says no food but I'll be finished with my sandwich soon. Is that ok?" and so on. Puts cast members in a lose/lose position.

At Soarin' last week in the FP+ line which makes it that much more annoying since the line is going to be so short the group in front of me all had drinks that I would guess were from Starbucks and we got to the end of the line where they send you down the halls to the theaters and the CM said sorry you can't take your drinks beyond this point. First the group wanted to ask why and then were like ok we'll finish them here and the CM said sorry but I can't let your group just stand in this area so they were huffy and tossed the drinks in the garbage.

Humans have this innate sense of fairness and tend to bristle when things aren't perceived as fair (very little in this world actually is truly fair - but I am talking about perception not reality). Queuing in a line reinforces these feelings. Nobody likes waiting in a line, but most people also like to stay within the system and not break rules. When they see someone "getting over" on the agreed upon system, they feel slighted. Why should they get to do that when I can't? Different people may feel this to varying degrees, but I think it's just human nature.

Me, I prefer to not let it bother me when I am on vacation. The impact is minimal so I just don't worry about it. I do recognize it as something that I see as "wrong" but not really a big deal at the end of the day (that is to say actually skipping in line, not restroom emergencies, etc.). I also think Disney is right not to confront them as that will only make the situation less pleasant for everybody around. I do see why people get so passionate about it though.

On my recent trip right after Thanksgiving, I noticed something that I thought I would just bring out and see if others have seen.

While standing in the security bag check line, the one right next to the "no bags" line at Magic Kingdom, the person behind me, who I did not know, kept a run running conversation about how many people were going through the "no bag" line with bags. He never stopped the whole time I was in line. One person had a stroller with a very tiny bag under in the basket. The CM glanced at it and waved the stroller through. It obviously contained a diaper and that was about it. But the person behind me was just simply outraged that that person was able to go right through.

It's kind of the same thing that happens occasionally when a child in a long standby attraction line has to use the bathroom, a parent takes them, and comes back to their spot in line. Inevitably, someone has to make comments about people cutting into the lines.

What is it about standing in line that makes people feel they need to try to be the "line police?" Do they feel that others are getting something that they should be getting? Do they feel like it's unfair to them to have to wait in line with a huge backpack while a person with a very small wallet sized bag can get through the other line quickly? I don't understand it.

Maybe you have seen this too. What is your experience?

My question to you would be... what do you think the reason Disney has two lines if no one reads the sign? They are trying to allow those who 'pack light' to get through security quicker. I for one enjoy being able to do that when I don't have a bag to inspect. It's very common during concerts and sporting events, and guess what usually happens to those people when they don't read the sign? They get sent to the back... Disney is too nice to do that, so these people are lucky. As far as complaining about it forever, I'd just roll my eyes and let it go, but it is kind of rude to just decide to take the 'shorter line' and not pay attention to the restriction, don't you think?

Absolutely agree with PP. I really don't pay much attention to what people are doing but it can be frustrating and I feel bad for cast members. "I know it says no bags but I just have this little bag." "It says no food but I'll be finished with my sandwich soon. Is that ok?" and so on. Puts cast members in a lose/lose position.

The only time this DOESN'T work...

In FastPass line for Flight Of Passage "What's a Fast Pass?"

Could you imagine if the cast members looked the other way for that... LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts