Why Can't I Go Back Next Week? - Another Trip Report from a Disney Veteran

AtlantaDisneyDreamer

DIS Veteran
We had a great trip from September 20-26th. I am beginning to feel like a seasoned Disney veteran! I am slowly knocking things off my Disney bucket list. I think I have now ridden every ride and seen every show at Disney with the exception of Mission Space. Still can't bring myself to do that one . . .

Here is a quick review:

POFQ

Very nice place. Not as small as I expected, based on reading all of the reviews about the "compact" resort. We were originally in building 7 on the first floor (got the text as we were in the car about an hour away from the World at 12:30 pm) and were a bit disappointed - we really wanted a top floor, having read on these forums that people on lower floors tend to have an issue with hearing toilets flushing above them. I went straight to the front desk on arrival and asked if they had anything on a top floor available. I was ready to accept the room if there was no availability. After all, we had booked a standard room and cheapskates can't be choosers.

After about ten minutes on the phone, the front desk CM said, "There is no availability in standard view rooms, but we have a top floor in garden view. Would that be okay?" I asked how much the upgrade charge would be. She said, "Oh, there is no charge." :woohoo:So I said, "Well alrighty then. We'll take it."

Building 6. Room was nearly identical to the Royal Room we had on a previous visit to POR, minus the flashy headboards and princess photos. No flushing toilet sounds. Very quiet. Only heard other guests once during our stay in the morning around 7:30 am. Room phone was a little dusty. Everything else was very clean.

Grounds are quite nice, though we preferred overall the landscaping at POR. We only used bus service a few times since we usually drove to the parks (and that's another story) but the times we used it, service was very reliable and quick.

Pool was nice, but we missed the shade and hammocks at POR. Kids really liked the slide, although it was short. We used the pool at POFQ a few times, but we were glad to be able to go over and enjoy the pool at POR, too. It is a nice perk to have both pools available for PO guests.

Would definitely stay at this resort again, but slightly prefer POR for the pool and landscaping, though the bus service and walkability to the food court is certainly better at POFQ.

Weather:

Fabulous for September. We were very lucky. Very breezy and pleasant. Rained three times- each time we were eating inside a restaurant. Did not affect our park touring time at all.

Restaurants

Favorite overall experience: Ohana

Favorite dessert: Bread pudding at Ohana (honorable mention to pistachio creme brulee at Tony's)

Favorite TS entree: Spice-crusted beef sirloin at Boma

Favorite side: Sweet potato fries at Boma

Favorite soup: TIE Carrot/ginger soup at Boma and French onion soup at BOG

Best QS meal: Watermelon salad at Flame Tree Barbecue (Wow. This is refreshing and perfect.)

Favorite atmosphere: Ohana

Biggest Surprise: BOG breakfast - seated super fast, food came super fast, food was very good, and we were out by 8:30 to do two rides on SDMT before 9 am.

Disappointments - None. All of our meals were very good. We did Ohana, Boma, BOG breakfast and lunch, Hoop Dee Doo, H&V, Chef Mickey's brunch, Tony's Town Square, Sassagoula Floatworks, Flame Tree BBQ, Riverside Mill, and Wolfgang Puck Express.

Rides:

Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

Worst Ride Experience: Liberty Belle was loading and I ran to park the stroller. Husband and kids boarded. When I got back, the CM was closing the rope. I said, "Oh, my kids are on that boat." He said, "Sorry. Catch the 4:30." I repeated that my kids were on the boat. He walked away and said, "Sorry. Gotta leave." It would have been awful for him to let me on that boat. Which was about 1/10 full. :rolleyes:

I waived at my husband and my confused children as they sailed by.

Shows:

Favorite Show: Fantasmic

Most Unique Experience:
Explained in my Griswold Family Moments post

Most Disappointing Experience: Crowds. For waits on Toy Story to reach 110 minutes in September is crazy. Long lines for many rides. Fortunately, I had extensively planned and we rode everything we wanted with little wait due to FP+ and good planning, but I miss our fall trip from two years ago when everything was walk-on. Our MNSSHP was sold out. On a Tuesday. In September. It was still fun, but much more crowded than the last two years.

Biggest Disney Fail: Giving out too many FP+. I love FP+, but when the posted wait time is 25 minutes and we have to wait 20 minutes in the FP+ line (which we did for Epcot character spot and KS at AK), it is a bit annoying. I would rather have 1 or 2 fastpasses that eliminate the line completely than 3-5 that shave off 5-10 minutes.

First Time Experiences for Us:

POFQ:-)
Disney Quest (DD8 loved it, DH said it was kind of sad with many things broken)
Stitch's Great Escape o_O
Boma dinner :-)
BOG breakfast 8-)
Ohana dinner :D
Using kids' club (Lilo's Playhouse) :D
Hoop Dee Doo :-)
Chef Mickey's brunch (surprisingly fun - not as crowded or loud as expected- good food)
Tony's Town Square (food and service better than we expected)

What We'd Do Differently Next Time:

Fewer buffets (we felt like such gluttons all week)
Take resort bus to MK for early breakfast rather than drive (maybe- though the private shuttle transportation we got to MK from TTC was kind of nice...)

Future Visits:

Already booked February at Pop, April at Wyndham Bonnet Creek, and next September free dining at Caribbean beach (almost didn't book this one due to higher cost than last year - with the requirement to buy Park Hoppers or Water Park tickets, and the increase in resort rate, our package was $500 more than this year). Nonetheless, I'd go back next week if it were possible. Call me an addict.

:dancer:
Keep on with the force, Don't stop. Don't stop 'til you get enough.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter