Why do people lurk?

I lurked until I got a better haircut.... :rotfl:

Honestly, if you check MY join date, and the number of posts, I didn't "lurk" long. I was so excited by finding these boards and the wealth of information offered on them, I jumped right in. If I ever get "flamed" in the process...oh well. It's how I am in life....I'm an open and gregarious person by nature too... If I ask a question that's been asked before, or give an opinion that's been heard a thousand times...people can speed read through my posts.....:goodvibes

I guess I'll go ahead and join the de-lurking party...

I've been reading these boards for about three years and my main reason for not posting was that I was already spending two hours a day reading all the informative posts and not posting. I figured that if I actually registered my family might never see me again ;) .

My name is SCParrothead and I am a DISaholic.

I mainly lurk for 2 reasons;

The question has already been answered

and

I don't type very quickly.

I too only post when needed and try to find the answers to my questions by searching before posting. But, what usually ends up happening is that I find myself asking more questions - then I post.

I lurked for months before registering, just gathering info. Once I made the decision to call Disney and make my 1st booking for our trip next year, I registered and started posting a little. I'm sure as our trip draws closer I'll post here a lot more, asking and answering questions. It's been a long time since our last trip, pre child in fact, and my wife and I promised ourselves we would go to WDW and US the summer our DD was 8. That's next year. Meanwhile, I'll be here, lurking and posting more and more as we get closer.

peace

Papa Van

Never ever even looked at a message board before this one. I've totally hooked and feel like I have this secret. DH is like, what kinda weirdo are you? :crazy: and I'm like, "I'm a disney weirdo!!! :rotfl2: OKay, I have a question that I can't find the answer too, but I'm sure it's been asked a kazillion times, BUT, here goes: What is being tagged? :confused3

I'm not 100% sure, but since no one has replied yet, I'll give it a shot.

I believe 'being tagged' is when the Tag Fairy (and no one knows who that is!) puts a line or two under your signature (on the left). It will appear in a different color than the standard black that we get to use....

I've learned that no one knows when and where the Tag Fairy might strike, but be on the lookout!

Hope that helps...I'm sure someone who's been on these boards longer than I have can give a much better explanation! :)

Honestly, I have been known to lurk on boards a bit before posting for several reasons, 1 - to get a "feel" for the board before posting 2 - to see if a question you have has already BEEN answered and to just gather information, 3- I have nothing to add at the time because I don't know or everything has already been said.

I know for me I haven't been to Disney World since I was 5 and don't remember a whole lot, so I don't have a whole lot to say. I'm in the planning stages and post things when I think they are relevant or have a question that I haven't seen answered but other than that, I just lurk around gathering more information to make our first family trip the best it can be.

I lurked for awhile, and as I remember it, jumped in only when I had a question I hadn't seen the answer to. Now I'm hooked. This is the only forum I have ever joined, and it felt like a real leap of faith at first. I feel safe here, and that's why I joined, and why I'm still around.

::MinnieMo

Some may lurk because they don't have any experience on message/discussion boards. All of the bouncing faces and cryptic symbols and countdown tickers can be intimidating if you don't know what they mean, or how to add them to your post. :teeth:

See, that smiley face above was about as technical as I get!!

Okay, here goes. This is my first discussion board ever, and my first post. I've been "lurking" for a couple of weeks and only registered a few days ago. Like several others, I've found a couple of threads I started to reply to, only to find that my comment had been made once, twice, or twenty other times. Didn't see a need to drag on and on. We leave Saturday for a week at CBR/AKL, and the boards have been a great place to build the excitement!

i have "lurked" here for months. we went to Disney in July of 2004 and the information was awesome! i guess i am shy and it is more fun to read what everybody else says than to chime in.

Welcome all Lurkers!!! Lurk all you want. I know i did for a long time before I would start posting. Now I'm a posting fool !!! :rotfl:
No matter if you lurk or chat... these boards are the most helpful and informative that I have found.
Have a great day and a great trip to WDW!!!!! :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

Hey all,

Good thread! Actually I belong to many different dicussion boards on various interests that I have. Some are more active than others - but one common theme they ALL have is that there are far more members than posters.

Some people are shy or are afraid that they don't have anything interesting to say. Many want to feel out a board first. Others may enjoy the information but aren't the kind to jump in.

I don't post a lot even though I do read this board every day. It's one of the friendlier boards I belong to! :)

FOR MANY months I lurked the board(s) and never posted or responded. Now I can't stop and love it. My day goes by so fast. Keep the windows open 24/7. Many times I don't get a response when I post something, but that is okay - I know it is read.

READ ON AND LOVE IT............ :banana: :banana: :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter