Why do we have to call in for a military discount rate?

VAfamily1998

DIS Veteran
I have a reservation at YC at a military rate, but I would really like to switch to a CL room at YC, BC, or BWI (at the military rate.)
The only way to check and see if it is available is to call in, there is no way to view military rate availability online.
I have called, and there is none available now, but will keep calling back to check in case there are any cancellations.
I do see there are CL rooms at BWI available for my dates, just not at the military rate.

But why can't availability be shown online? They show availability and rates for other discounts, like the AP discounts and the ones available to everyone.

I have a reservation at YC at a military rate, but I would really like to switch to a CL room at YC, BC, or BWI (at the military rate.)
The only way to check and see if it is available is to call in, there is no way to view military rate availability online.
I have called, and there is none available now, but will keep calling back to check in case there are any cancellations.
I do see there are CL rooms at BWI available for my dates, just not at the military rate.

But why can't availability be shown online? They show availability and rates for other discounts, like the AP discounts and the ones available to everyone.
I agree having to call isn't always fun. But, the discount is very much appreciated. I think it's one of those things that they make the rules, we have to follow them.
If you already have a CL mil rate, that's a lucky break. There are fewer and fewer available, at least from what I've checked on.

I agree having to call isn't always fun. But, the discount is very much appreciated. I think it's one of those things that they make the rules, we have to follow them.
If you already have a CL mil rate, that's a lucky break. There are fewer and fewer available, at least from what I've checked on.
Thanks. :)
No, my current reservation is just for a regular (non CL) room at YC.

And yes, we DEFINITELY appreciate the discount! It just seems like a waste of THEIR (the CMs answering the phone) time to have to check for me each time I call. Even if I still had to call in to actually book, just being able to see availability online first would save a lot of time.

At least list the hotels. It takes a long time to call in through the prompts and give your info again to the CM and then have their slow computers check each hotel individually.

AGREED. This is one of the most frustrating things about trying to book a military discount. I often work on vacation plans after kids are in bed, and that means with the time zone difference, WDW reservations is usually closed. If I could look at availability and book online, I could do it any time of day or night. And save CMs time not the phone. It is not as if calling a CM verifies you are military any more than doing a reservation online would.

AGREED. This is one of the most frustrating things about trying to book a military discount. I often work on vacation plans after kids are in bed, and that means with the time zone difference, WDW reservations is usually closed. If I could look at availability and book online, I could do it any time of day or night. And save CMs time not the phone. It is not as if calling a CM verifies you are military any more than doing a reservation online would.
And the thing is, there actually are ways they could verify military eligibility online!

Under Armour offers a active duty/retired military discount, even online. They use a service called ID.me
Disney could do the same, if it wanted, to verify the military eligibility for online booking.

And the thing is, there actually are ways they could verify military eligibility online!

Under Armour offers a active duty/retired military discount, even online. They use a service called ID.me
Disney could do the same, if it wanted, to verify the military eligibility for online booking.
How do the verify it on the phone? Don’t you have to email a copy of your ID.

NO - that is illegal

You book it over th phone, but you can’t bypass the front d sk - you have to produce that I’d or no discount

Little secret: most of base ITT offices and also Shades of Green IIRC had me scan and email front and back of my military ID when buying tickets over the phone.

It is nice that most big companies use some sort of online verification system now.

Little secret: most of base ITT offices and also Shades of Green IIRC had me scan and email front and back of my military ID when buying tickets over the phone.

It is nice that most big companies use some sort of online verification system now.

They aren't supposed to do that - email is not secure - as we all know!

NO - that is illegal

You book it over th phone, but you can’t bypass the front d sk - you have to produce that I’d or no discount

It is NOT illegal to ask for a copy of a military ID if the ID will be used to verify eligibility for a special discount program or health insurance. I hate when people spread this misinformation. It is illegal to REPRODUCE a military ID for the purposes of committing fraudulent use of such an ID.

It is NOT illegal to ask for a copy of a military ID if the ID will be used to verify eligibility for a special discount program or health insurance. I hate when people spread this misinformation. It is illegal to REPRODUCE a military ID for the purposes of committing fraudulent use of such an ID.

Well this is direct from our MWR/Leisure Travel AND Family Assistance Center...so...think what u want....

Are you attempting to book a suite at YC? Because the deluxe and moderate suites are not eligible for the discount.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter