Why do you love Aulani?

We're about to go on our second trip to Aulani in August and we couldn't imagine staying anywhere else on the island. Though other resorts may be cheaper as we were walking around in Waikiki at some of them we couldn't believe the amount of people there.
The location of Aulani is perfect for us, not too far away from Downtown, but just far enough. We also love it because it's just the right amount of Disney with the mix of a Hawaiian resort!

Aulani may be a "manufactured" Hawaiian feel as @Midoria put it, but it still feels like Hawaii to this East Coaster. Even when i visit the Polynesian at WDW, it really does transport you to make you feel like you're in Hawaii. To add onto what @Amw1064 was saying about the Westin in Maui, they didn't have things like the Hawaiian music, the menehune, the leis, Auntie, etc. So, I think it's more accurate to say that you can put the Westin Maui in any tropical location and have the same experience. But if you put Aulani in the Bahamas, you're going to feel like you're at a Hawaiian themed resort in the Bahamas. Disney does a great job at making you feel like you're in Hawaii, and frankly, that's what I want! This is all regardless of what the surrounding area and attractions have to offer, just the resort itself I'm speaking out.

Aulani may be a "manufactured" Hawaiian feel as @Midoria put it, but it still feels like Hawaii to this East Coaster.

I was born and raised in the DC area and never lived anywhere else until I moved to Hawaii at the age of 32. But what makes a person feel like they are in Hawaii has nothing to do with what coast they are from.

I feel like I’m in Hawaii when I go to Iolani Palace and stand in the room where Liliuokalani was imprisoned. I feel like I’m in Hawaii when I go to Halemaumau crater, the mythical home of Tutu Pele who was said to create the islands of Hawaii. I feel like I’m in Hawaii when I stand on the top of Mauna Kea or Haleakala, both of which are considered sacred places to Hawaiians. I feel like I'm in Hawaii when I visit Pearl Harbor. Heck, I feel like I’m in Hawaii at Zippy’s waiting on my oxtail soup! None of those can be done anywhere, else and because of that, those things are what makes me feel like I'm in Hawaii. I'm only speaking for myself as always.

Even when i visit the Polynesian at WDW, it really does transport you to make you feel like you're in Hawaii. To add onto what @Amw1064 was saying about the Westin in Maui, they didn't have things like the Hawaiian music, the menehune, the leis, Auntie, etc.

Again, Aulani doesn't offer anything that cannot be recreated in another tropical location because it's 95% manmade. People, programs, and entertainment can easily be imported and duplicated. In terms of the architecture and the grounds, every single aspect (and I read the whole thing before I posted) can be done anywhere tropical: http://disneyaulaninews.com/fact-sh...ape-at-aulani-a-disney-resort-spa-fact-sheet/

For me, Aulani is always going to feel exactly like what it is - a fantasy, something Disney is master of. The best fantasies are the ones that are so detailed and refined that they feel authentic - sometimes to the point that people are disappointed with reality when they see it. I can see why people never want to leave. Who wants to wake up from a perfect dream? But, as previously stated, I'm a realist and I'm perfectly happy my non-resort Hawaiian experience. If other's Hawaiian experience is best at Aulani, then awesome! As long as everyone is happy.

When we travel to Hawaii, we stay in a condo/house on another island to experience "real" Hawaii then we spend a few days at Aulani being spoiled and having everything at our fingertips (although we always leave the resort to visit some Oahu sites and hit our favorite restaurants). Sure, we could stay somewhere else on Oahu, but we love the "manufactured" Hawaiian feeling at Aulani... the architecture, music, etc. For those of us who only make it to Hawaii once or twice a decade, why not stay somewhere where we can be reminded that we are in Hawaii, not Florida or the Caribbean? Sure, Disney could build an Aulani somewhere else in the world, but this one is in Hawaii, and we love it!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!