Why doesn't anyone make their kids wait in line?

qa4ever

Mouseketeer
Nearly every ride we went on today we had kids join a parent waiting in line at the last minute. For example, dad enters line alone, and then 30 min later when time to board the ride suddenly mom and the 3 kids show up. Several times we had someone waiting just about to go and wave us through as they were "waiting for my kids". When kids arrive they tell tales of going to a show or parade or riding another ride.

Yesterday at the parade too, when the parade was 1-2 min away all kinds of kids crammed in with parents who'd been waiting for us for an hour.

Not sure why parents can't teach their kids to wait in line like all the other kids! I don't recall seeing this to this extreme at wdw!

At our Halloween party at DL, I was (briefly) jealous of some guests who joined the Dad with tales of all the meet and greets they got to do while we waited an hour for the parade. But this did not happen to us in the week we were there on ride lines.

I sure am a parent and never once have I waited in line for my kids while they went somewhere else and had fun. They learned to wait in line.

Good for you. For me, it’s about bang for my buck and my sanity on vacations that traveling from across the country cost lots of money. My kids wait at doctors offices, and the bank with me, or in line to check out at the grocery store, etc. when at Disneyland? Meh. Going to reduce everyone’s stress and cram as much fun into our time as possible.

We sometimes send one parent to the line while the other takes kids to the bathroom and then joins up, but never to do meet and greets, etc.

I do, however, find this incredibly ironic in the context of all the conversations about the DAS pass and how parents are supposed to be teaching their children with autism to learn how to wait cause those are the rules for every one else.

Clearly, those are not the rules for every one else. Just for those of us who are too disabled to get away with cheating the system.

Hmm, I don't usually see too many parents doing this. Maybe one or two, but not in every single line. It depends on any number of circumstances though. I personally prefer my kids to learn to wait in line, but if you have a kid with special needs or a little one that can't wait to go to the bathroom, sometimes accommodations need to be made.

We fly half way across the world to get there and my kids certainly wait in the line like everyone else. I wouldn't dream of having them 'join' me in the queue. It's about teaching your kids the right values and showing basic common courtesy to your fellow guests. You enter the line together, if you're not all there ready to go in then step aside and wait till your whole party is there if you wish to ride together.
Just another thing CM's should be more consistent in enforcing : )
Now... a small child and a parent needing to duck out of a long line for a quick toilet break is a different matter entirely and most people are understanding of this, including me.
Otherwise, wait your turn in line like everyone else : )

I am sure some are special needs but not all. Today for example, in pirates, as we entered the line I heard a kid say he didn't want to wait in the line and wanted to play on the treehouse nearby. Mom said, "Sure, I'll take you and we can meet up with dad later when he's close to the front".

If more and more people do this, the lines become longer. You think you have X number of people in front of you but it's really X number plus all their kids who are off on other rides.

I guess I"m not used to this as our local amusement park does not permit it and says all the party must enter the line together. I actually saw a family kicked out of the park for doing this and then arguing about it when they were called out by staff at our local amusement park.

I am sure some are special needs but not all. Today for example, in pirates, as we entered the line I heard a kid say he didn't want to wait in the line and wanted to play on the treehouse nearby. Mom said, "Sure, I'll take you and we can meet up with dad later when he's close to the front".

If more and more people do this, the lines become longer. You think you have X number of people in front of you but it's really X number plus all their kids who are off on other rides.

I guess I"m not used to this as our local amusement park does not permit it and says all the party must enter the line together. I actually saw a family kicked out of the park for doing this and then arguing about it when they were called out by staff at our local amusement park.

Something similar happened in a SRL.

DD will wait in line with me as well as anyone else in my family wanting to ride. Unless someone is going to the bathroom or getting a quick snack for the line. Otherwise she will wait and so will DH. She has to learn to be patient and wait. She has been going to DL since she was 3 she will be 11 in less than 2 months and she has learned to wait in line and does not mind and understands it is part of the attraction.

I have seen kids and family cutting in line because that is exactly what it is. They were out there riding another ride while me and my family were waiting in line. If I see it I say something in hopes that they will not do it again but some people just do not care. If it is a group of teenagers we all say how badly they are behaving and have no manners for meeting their friends in line but for an adult with a child or two it's ok?

I have not seen this often, and really the only place I have seen it is some meet and greet lones where it doesnt really matter.

Our kids have always waited in line if they want to ride, but we have had one parent take them to do something while another parents wait a couple of times for meet and greet at parties (we waited over 3 hours to meet the 7 dwarfs)

We have only done this when someone had to use the bathroom. My youngest had a case of "Too scared to go on a ride, so he had to go potty", several times during our trip. Thankfully everyone around us was kind and understanding. I have fond memories of waiting in line with my parents. That is when my mom was fun and would make up stories about the area around us. :love:

Me, my wife, our 4 and 7 year old daughters all wait together. Twice I had a group try to get past us and I said “not gonna happen”. Their party waited till the line caught them both times. It’s clear in Disney rules that you cannot cut in line. We all pay to get in the parks and no one person is more important that another. Don’t like it? Don’t get mad at me as I AM following the rules and there is no argument to say otherwise. There is however one exception. If I see someone in front of me exit to take a little one to the bathroom then I will gladly let them get “back” in line. Want to do something else and join at the last minute? Not gonna happen.

I really don’t mind parade spot saving, that’s been normal for years and is not negatively impacting anyone. What I can’t stand is the rampant line cutting, the “excuse me all 9 of us need by, our group of 1 is up there”, & awkwardly stepping into the line at the last minute when it’s your groups turn while holding up the entire line. I get bathroom breaks & other issues with kids are going to pop up but planning to purposely inconvenience hundreds of people for your mild convenience seems rude and like it’s setting a bad example for the kids involved that the rules don’t apply to them.

My dad once joined us late at the parks and we were in line when he arrived. I still remember him asking everyone “excuse me- do you mind if I join my family?” on his way to us so that kind of set the standard for me. I don’t mind if one person or a parent and child joins a group ahead of me but a large group joining one person in line always rubs me the wrong way!

It’s this kind of selfishness which I hate. Nothing gives you the right to completely cut a line because your family member is standing in line. You didn’t stand in line. You don’t get to ride. End of story. It has nothing to do with bang for your buck. It’s against the rules. You should be sent to the back of the line. The only time this is acceptable is if a member of your party leaves to go to the bathroom and then comes back. That’s it. It’s just plain rude. No one has manners anymore and having kinds is not an excuse to reduce your manners to make life easier for you.

we dont let them past - we tell them they can wait right there behind us and when we make it to the front, they can join their family then. one mom told us how rude we were being and I just said, yup! and went back to my conversation. the boy with her star tty wd complaining that he was having to wait like the normal people and his mom had told told him he was special and didnt have to wait. that hacked off a ton of people they had passed alrrady

We fly half way across the world to get there and my kids certainly wait in the line like everyone else. I wouldn't dream of having them 'join' me in the queue. It's about teaching your kids the right values and showing basic common courtesy to your fellow guests. You enter the line together, if you're not all there ready to go in then step aside and wait till your whole party is there if you wish to ride together.
Just another thing CM's should be more consistent in enforcing : )
Now... a small child and a parent needing to duck out of a long line for a quick toilet break is a different matter entirely and most people are understanding of this, including me.
Otherwise, wait your turn in line like everyone else : )
Yep another Aussie here and totally agree.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!