Why doesn't anyone make their kids wait in line?

They send their CHILDREN to RUN?! WTH is wrong with people?! Line cutting with kids doesn't really bother me but literally putting children in danger absolutely does and having them run off a rope drop is literally putting their kid in danger :furious:
CMs have told me that they see kids fall regularly (once a week or so) at rope drop because they run after being cautioned not to. As we all know, early in the morning much of the park surfaces are wet, presumably from being hosed down earlier. Hmm. Perhaps there's a reason they ask guests not to run.

Last edited:
CMs have told me that they see kids fall regularly (once a week or so) at rope drop because they run after being cautioned not to. As we all know, early in the morning much of the park surfaces are wet, presumably from being hosed down earlier.
:guilty:

Don't they have rules in the park to not stampede like in The Lion King?

ETA: I just looked at the map that you pick up near entry and this is one of the rules included on it. No joke!

Last edited:

Yes, but that's kind of the issue being discussed in this thread. Some people think those rules should be broken in order to reduce the amount of time they have to wait in line or, apparently, in order to make a child feel like a hero.

Wowsers! I remember when I was there was a group of highschool students running to get to space mountain. It was scary! I thought they were going to fall. :(

Yes, but that's kind of the issue being discussed in this thread. Some people think those rules should be broken in order to reduce the amount of time they have to wait in line or, apparently, in order to make a child feel like a hero.

Exactly. Part of the problem is that Disney does virtually nothing to stop it, apart from asking people not to run. If that were were sufficient, this thread would be considerably shorter. I don't have the answer -- I wish I did. But clearly something more needs to be done.

One thing I've seen is that, at rope drop, a CM stands on the hub-side of the castle and tells guests to stop; that that it where the line for PP starts. It cuts down on people running slightly.

Hmm, I don't usually see too many parents doing this. Maybe one or two, but not in every single line. It depends on any number of circumstances though. I personally prefer my kids to learn to wait in line, but if you have a kid with special needs or a little one that can't wait to go to the bathroom, sometimes accommodations need to be made.
I agree. No need to judge. If a parent took a child out of line they had their reason, plus it was probably quiet for others waiting in line as well. Win/Win in my book :)

Kids live in a world of instant gratification now. Patience is a thing of the past I’m afraid...

Luckily I see what the OP is describing on only rare occasions. I believe it is the exception and not the rule.

I’m sure I’ve been guilty of it before but for the most part, we wait together. Honestly, it ends up being the tim we all get to actually talk, instead of running around the park. We talk about the ride we just did, the one we’re going to do, we look at pictures we’ve taken on my phone, etc. It’s really not that bad.

I will disclose that we don’t wait in any line that’s over 30-45 mins and typically only FP. I wouldn’t subject myself or my children to an hour + wait.

The parade thing...if it’s only for a couple kids and not 10 other people, I can see taking turns and letting one adult take the kid off to do something. It’s hard to sit on a curb for that long.
I agree with this. I also have left lines with one child at a time to go to the bathroom or get a drink (not to do another ride) I even asked the attendant at the park on my most recent trip if that was okay and they said as long as my party was still in line we could meet back up.

I think people on here are too quick to judge. I have four children and there have been a lot of times I’ve had to leave a line with a child or two that suddenly had to go to the bathroom (despite a potty break shortly beforehand). They certainly weren’t trying to get out of waiting by going to the bathroom. I’m sure there are lots of people who don’t see me leave the line before returning. You can choose to get uptight over these things or you can chose to relax and give people a break. It’s only going to delay your ride by a minute, if at all (ex. joining a ride vehicle that would have otherwise been partially empty).
Well said with 5 children I completely understand and agree

Of course I understand it. I understand the motivation for much behavior that's generally considered inappropriate. For example, a kid sees a chocolate bar at the store that his mother/father won't let him have. So he/she swipes it. I understand the motivation -- the kid wanted a chocolate bar. But that doesn't excuse the behavior.

As to me being first, as I've said to friends countless times before, it's not important to me that I be first. It's important to me that someone doesn't cheat by sprinting ahead of me (and especially when their family of nine then joins them -- it's very common). If a child is behind me in line and has a pleasant demeanor/good attitude, I'll always let him or her have my first-place spot. I've done it many times. I love kids and I understand their excitement. I also understand that they have parents that understand rules and safety.
It’s obvious you have no idea how weird it is that you see this as a daily competition to be won, where people can “cheat” by being faster than you.

Kids run and walk quickly all the time. They even *occasionally* manage to do it without dire consequences.

This is definitely my take on it! "Hey, son, you did a great job breaking the well-publicized rules and endangering yourself and others, all so the rest of us could break another rule and inconvenience the worthless humans around us. If you need a reason to smile besides being at Disneyland, our pride in your inappropriate behavior should do just fine!"
Exactly the take I would expect you to have. Reactionary, nasty, seeing and describing the worst in people.

A kid in a rush to get to the rides is all a master plan that is really all about stealing from others. Do the people cackle evilly as they go, in your version?

How depressing to see the world that way.

I do think it depends on the situation. Sometimes its just dad or mom with a toddler joining the rest of the family, sometimes its the rest of the family joining one person in line. Sometimes we do not even know where they are going or with who or why.

Sometimes kids/adults can't wait, they get impatient, etc. Theme parks especially DL have long lines. Use MP, Singer Rider line, Rider Switch, FP, or wait in line.
Grab snacks before, use restroom before, the wait times are posted outside. If DD needs to use the restroom and it will leave just one of us in line we will just all leave. I have seen many families leave because kids do not want to wait, or are tired, or need to use the restroom. or rather go on a different ride.

I have been to DL with a large group. If we go to get in line and sometimes a group of us makes it there before the rest and we will just get in line wherever it is we got in line. Even if they are just one or two families ahead. If a family offers to have us move up because they can see we are a group we might take them up on it but if its more of us we will just have them move up so we are closer to our group.

I have read on here and have had people tell me that they do the thing where one or two people get in line while the others do other rides and then just join the family. hey do not care or even think that they are cutting they think its just a strategy.

Like I said if I see i might probably say something like " you know there is a line and we have all been waiting", I will not make a bigger deal about it and it will definitely not ruin my vacation. DL is my happy place and long lines and crowds do not bother me and try to avoid rides with long lines. But a big group joining someone in front of us will bother DD who has been patiently waiting in line and now thinks its going to take a lot longer because of the group.

One more recollection of this kind of thing. About a year ago, a woman and her child (8 years old?) pushed her way to the front of the Buzz Lightyear line with no explanation, but presumably to meet the rest of her family. When she got to the front of the line, there was no one waiting for them so they simply boarded the ride. Didn't seem right and it really annoyed me. But as other posters have observed (wisely), it's best to give other guests the benefit of the doubt and -- even when they're completely in the wrong -- try not to get upset about it; don't let it hamper your visit. I believe I mentioned the seeming line-cutting to the CM tending the ride. She explained that the woman was trying to catch up with her party... on Star Tours. That is, she mistakenly got in line for the wrong ride. It's easy to make the mistake, especially when the guest is perhaps unfamiliar with the park :-).

Last edited:
The bigger problem I noticed on recent DL trip is that it seems like everyone is in such a hurry late in the day that they risk running over small children. This is mostly teens, but also some parents rushing around with strollers. Not sure if it's racing for a good spot for parade, making a fast pass, etc, but it mostly seemed to be an evening event

The bigger problem I noticed on recent DL trip is that it seems like everyone is in such a hurry late in the day that they risk running over small children. This is mostly teens, but also some parents rushing around with strollers. Not sure if it's racing for a good spot for parade, making a fast pass, etc, but it mostly seemed to be an evening event

This happened to my DM. Slow down people!

I remember being a kid at Disneyworld one summer and it was international soccer week. The adult sponsors would wait in line with a flag and you'd almost be up to the front of the line when whammo, the entire nation's soccer team (50-60 kids) would join the adult waving the flag. I thought for sure my dad was going to punch someone out. Vivid memory that has stuck.

I remember being a kid at Disneyworld one summer and it was international soccer week. The adult sponsors would wait in line with a flag and you'd almost be up to the front of the line when whammo, the entire nation's soccer team (50-60 kids) would join the adult waving the flag. I thought for sure my dad was going to punch someone out. Vivid memory that has stuck.
That's terrible. I can only hope that they're doing better with stuff like that these days.

It's rude and selfish to do this kind of thing just for the sake of having your kids run off and do another ride/character meet, etc. Just to make the most of your time/bang for your buck, etc. We all work hard for our money. I would be mortified trying to catch up to somebody in the front of the line. I have never let my kids do this kind of thing, nor will I ever let them. Not only is it embarrassing, it's a pain in the butt to try to pass people. Just wait in line like every other civilized person. I do understand the bathroom thing (we've never had to do that...I make sure my kids go before we're about to wait in a long line) but I know kids/people in general have to go to the bathroom more often than other people, so I do get that. I don't understand those people who think this kind of behavior is okay.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!